New Haw

Addlestone

Surrey

KT15 3BG

Tel : 01932 353555 Fax : 01932 353666

email : precision@holman-engineering.co.uk

web : www.holman-engineering.co.uk

Thanks Jules.

Spoke to both companies yesterday & Holman appear to be the cheaper & more optimistic option as they remember doing your Humber pump so its off to them today.

Cheers Ian

Dragonfly Motorcycles may have the lenses that you are looking for:-

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a65anda50/category/1016-headlamps

Size information on their site:-

The sizes of headlamp listed below are those given by Lucas and are as measured across the opening in the shell, the 7 1/2" one is more commonly known as 8".

Hi Tony

I haven't seen this book, can you read the vehicle serial number in the picture in this book?

regards

Nick

Cheched the book. No picture I'm afraid, it was a Y Service vehicle I was thinking of, in a diffrent book. I'll try and tarck it down I have to ask Phil.

• 6 months later...

Good Luck with the work Ian - I remember camping next to you in Geurnsey last year with our Humber Box - we marvelled as you re-built your Morris - so have every confidence in your ability to bring this project back to life!

They are great vehicles to drive and mostly a pleasure to work on - we put a new clutch in just before Guernsey and the hardest part was the removal and re-fitting of all the tin-work! - enjoy the finished vehicle - they are great !!!!!

- Andy Kyte / Philip Hawesnmundham gala.jpg

phils humber.jpg

Good Luck with the work Ian - I remember camping next to you in Geurnsey last year with our Humber Box - we marvelled as you re-built your Morris - so have every confidence in your ability to bring this project back to life!

They are great vehicles to drive and mostly a pleasure to work on - we put a new clutch in just before Guernsey and the hardest part was the removal and re-fitting of all the tin-work! - enjoy the finished vehicle - they are great !!!!!

- Andy Kyte / Philip Hawes[ATTACH=CONFIG]114642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]114641[/ATTACH]

Hi Andy thanks mate, she should of been on the road last week as its now got a registration number & all the works finished bar the sign writing, some odds & ends plus a test drive.

• 4 weeks later...

'Olivia' is back on the road for the 1st time in many years & she ran faultlessly, a few little jobs to do like send the speedo away for repair as its noisy & sticks but other than that it was great fun to drive.

DSC04277.jpg

DSC04278.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

The post war registration number which is painted on the dash only appears to be 5 letters/numbers is this correct ? I have scratched the paint to see if there's another number but it appears not.

There is no post war rebuild plate that I can find either.

DSC04325.jpg

DSC04326.jpg

Ian HU was not used by the army as a registration number post war it almost looks like a Dutch number plate ?

Hi Wally thanks for that, you got in there before I had time to PM you, I'm sure one of our friends from Holland could shed a bit more light on it then ?

DSC04325.jpg

Is HU in the number and the vehicle being a Humber Utility too much of a coincidence? - could it be an inventory or storage number or something like that?

A couple of people have suggested that this vehicle may of been sold to the BBC post war ? and used as a camera vehicle for horse racing etc ? which was quite common apparently ? could the number be a BBC fleet identity ?

A couple of people have suggested that this vehicle may of been sold to the BBC post war ? and used as a camera vehicle for horse racing etc ? which was quite common apparently ? could the number be a BBC fleet identity ?

BBC was my thoughts when I saw the painted number. They had 9 on these in 1951, see this article in Commercial Motor at that time;

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/1st-june-1951/46/putting-on-the-spot

If you read the description of the BBC vehicles, note the emphasis on 'Radio reception'. The Humber was used pre and post war as a Radio Interception vehicle. Intially by Y Service to intercept the German Enigma traffic and post war USSR traffic. One reason the code breacking was kept secret for many years was the Soviet use of ex WW2 machines code named by the British 'Fish'.

• 7 months later...

On the lookout for one of these, it's a mega light weight Freedom Discovery caravan (looking for the LE model) max gross weight 750kg :thumbsup:

I'm not going to rough it in a tent anymore at shows. :-D

I might even get it 'wrapped' to look like a WW2 airfield control van (from a distance) with wind sock etc :mad:

DSC04277.jpg

freedom 2.jpg

Edited by Ian L