WW2 Humber Box Heavy Utility 4X4

Ian L

• 5 months later...
Lovely job Ian, well done mate, I'll look forward to parking up beside you !

Would be interesting to compare the drive between your Box and my PU..............

Jules

Hi Jules yes that would be interesting, the speedo is way out as I'm running on 9:00 tyres rather than the 8.25 which have a much shorter rolling circumference.

And an odd vibration, anyway we will meet one day. ;)

Knocking up a towbar for the 'Box' so that I can tow my British 10cwt GS trailer with a 28" hitch hight or the m/cycle trailer with a 14" hitch height.

Removed the 2 rear lashing eyes, then welded 2 pieces of 30mm x 30mm stock together & ground a curve on one side of each so that they would feed down the chassis legs.

Then cut a 120cms length of 76mm x 6mm tube so that its fits between them

& tags that fit over.

Next I will remove the bracket from a Transit tow bar & that will give me a mount for a drop plate or an adjustable hitch.

DSC07344.jpg

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07346.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07348.jpg

I've spent ages getting the measurements just right so that the spare wheel can stay on the tailgate when towing the m/cycle trailer & with the adjusable riser hitch on.

I'm taking this adjustable hitch off my motorhome & when fitted the tailgate will open if the spare wheel is removed or can stay on as it 2 cms below the tyre.

DSC07349.jpg

DSC07350.jpg

DSC07351.jpg

DSC07352.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi just joined and hoping you guys can help me id a H H U the same as yours. My partners mother was driver/mechanic after the ww2 and based in Germany. My photo shows a drivers door number M4895246, is there any chance that this vehicle is recorded in a club or association. 

Regards Dave P