AB 413 - AFV Vehicle Log Book

Packhow75

Am told that AB 413 was the AFV Vehicle Log Book used for WW2 AFVs.

Is this correct, are copies of these books maintained anywhere for WW2 period vehicles, does anyone have one, even used which I could get some scans of please so I know what they recorded?

Many thanks

Tim

Am told that AB 413 was the AFV Vehicle Log Book used for WW2 AFVs.

Is this correct, are copies of these books maintained anywhere for WW2 period vehicles, does anyone have one, even used which I could get some scans of please so I know what they recorded?

Many thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

since there were no other replies, all I can add which may help is that I have a "Vehicle Maintenance Record, Enclosure to Army Book 412" marked "Use the Rubber Band to insert this enclosure next to the page headed "Particulars of Vehicle" in A.B.412".

Print date is 6/41, containing 28 pages. The front page has details of Make/WD Number/Units, the first half of the book is an aide memoire in two sections for Drivers Daily Tasks, the first for "Vehicles other than Motor Cycles" and the second for Motor Cycle Maintenance Tasks". The second half is a calendar from May 3rd 1941 to April 15th 1943, showing which tasks should be carried out on which day.

It wouldn't surprise me if AB 413 contained a similar insert for Tracked Vehicles.

If you'd like more info, let me know.

Best Regards,

Adrian

All

Thanks for the responses.

AB413 - "A" Vehicle Log Book (AFV)

AB412 - "B" Vehicle Log Book (Soft)

Definitely WW2 period... here is a June 45 vehicle transfer receipt for my Sherman Firefly #289477.

VC-T-289477-Receipt2.jpg

What are AFG 857 and AFG 875?

Would be very interested to see what one of these books looks like - I have been told elsewhere that Bovington have some AB413s (they ought to if anyone does) - I've emailed them accordingly.

Also be interested to see the AB412 - I assume every WW2 British Soft Skinned vehicle would have had one... presumably they were in the main destroyed when the vehicles were sold off?

Next for me is to try to determine where 264 Special Delivery Squadron RAC would have taken the vehicle to... I have ordered the war diary in the hope there is some record of what they were doing.

The rear of the receipt has this...

VC-T-289477-ReceiptVoucher2b.jpg

Two vehicles... mine... Class 1, the other Class 4... what does this mean... hoping Class 1 is "excellent condition" and Class 4 perhaps "not so excellent".

Cheers

Tim

The 412 is 40+ pages long and runs through :

* Instructions and orders

* The task system

* Tasks for diesel engines

* Diary sheets to record the task numbers done (preprinted starts July 3rd 1943, ends Nov 11th 1944)

* Record of transfer of vehicles and kit between drivers

* Record of repairs and replacements

* Record of modifications

* Record of mileage, fuel and lubricant consumption

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445279383.338705.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445279436.068728.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445279139.509737.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445279237.536831.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445279293.395744.jpg

Here's what I have - The 412 and the 413 insert. I'd imagine the 413 must have been the same size / format.

Hi Tim, Lauren.

I had a wander round the internet at lunch.

Result 1: AB 413 is a lot nicer than AB 412 (-: Hardback, and bound in red cloth. Here is an example for a Canadian Carrier Universal No.2 Mk II T-344336.

http://www.hinsie.nl/images/Army%20Book%20413.jpg

From this site with other interesting documents:

http://www.hinsie.nl/Documents.htm

Result 2: Found you could obtain reprints of AB 412 (but not AB 413):

http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=content/active-service-log-book-cardboard-cover-1241

Then found that there was an original 1943 one for sale from a french online bookshop for €3, so now that's winging it's way to me. (-:

I'll take some pictures once it gets here.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Adrian (Prof)

Nice find - 3 euro... seems a bit pricey though!

Will go nicely with your Jeep if you've decided to mark it up as British (perfect excuse to do so).

I will see if Rob can trade me one of his repros sometime - should have guessed he might have one.

AB412 and 413 will have to go on my things to find list - would be nice to have copies of real ones for the collection... am sure one will turn up somewhere sometime eventually.

Amazing there aren't more of these around given that every British vehicle would have had one.

I guess I should have spent the last 20 years collecting vehicle related stuff... not radios!

Cheers

Tim

The 412 is 40+ pages long and runs through :

* Instructions and orders

* The task system

* Tasks for diesel engines

* Diary sheets to record the task numbers done (preprinted starts July 3rd 1943, ends Nov 11th 1944)

* Record of transfer of vehicles and kit between drivers

* Record of repairs and replacements

* Record of modifications

* Record of mileage, fuel and lubricant consumption

Lauren

Thanks for the pics - I may well get some repros just to record the service history of each of my vehicles in.

Cheers

Tim

• 4 years later...

Hi Tim I have just the cover to a  A.B. 413 mine is marked  Car Scout Humber 1

all it has I it are my fathers Soldiers Release Book  Class A   skill at arms record book , 

words and phrases in German .

I also have his army pay book with bits and pieces in .would be happy to scan them 

and share them, if of any intrest to you .

• Like 1