A productive day.

Grasshopper

Had a fun day working on different toys today.

Started off (too early! :sleep:) at our friend Ians house, where after being fed bacon sarnies and tea, Mike and I plumbed a new hydravac unit into his half track for him. The original had packed up, and he had acquired a unit from a Bedford truck, which he had re-conditioned by a reputable commercial firm. It cost a bit to get it done, but it came tested AND with a guarantee. Peace of mind when it comes to the braking system of your MV is priceless.

Tea and home made chocolate cake helped the job along nicely. :-)

So as to not risk staining his driveway with brake fluid, Ian carefully put the halftrack outside his house where we bled it (he is the borough surveyor, so no problems if the verge got damaged... :whistle:).

The brakes worked so well after bleeding, the rear tracks nearlly locked! The new hydravac is a huge improvement on the original, even when it did work.

We had many strange looks from passing motorists, but this is to be expected in this hobby, especially when you are working on a halftrack on a grass verge outside somebodies house!

Q. How exactly does Mike fit under the wheelarch? Answers on a postcard.

Next it was off to work on Mikes WLF, which we are replacing a couple of rear hub seals on, and also checking all the rear brakes. Mike got a pair of rear wheels on before he had to disappear for work, conveniantly leaving me to lift the not insubstantial rear hub back on by myself. :argh:

Mike has recently discovered why his rear diffs leak: all the bolts were loose! Tightening these up and cleaning out the blocked axle breathers should cure this.

We collected all the old grease from the rear hubs in a bucket- Yuck! :-o

Next it was out into the field to do some work on our new trailer, which is up for MOT in a couple of weeks. I am in the process of removing the wheels for inspection and painting, and also stripping and checking the brakes. One down, 3 to go...

Its a good feeling when you finish a days hobbying and you have achieved something. Thats one of the pleasures of playiong with MVs. Not always the case, like spending nearly three hours trying to cajole a siezed brake shoe off its pivot on the WLF the other day. :argh: