"King Kong" 981 in video

Brilliant , I was with Mr Dixon the other week who told me the storey of the recovery, his crane is long gone but the diamond still exists , if u look at the 12 minute mark you will see the second diamond used to pull whilst the crane lifted, I assume that's why the cable gave way !

All;

Look what shows up at the 5:27 mark!!

John G

Fascinating, where is the steam shovel now ? and knowing nothing about metal fatigue why did the cracks appear ? was it being submerged in water for many years as they suggested or old age.

Fascinating, where is the steam shovel now ? and knowing nothing about metal fatigue why did the cracks appear ? was it being submerged in water for many years as they suggested or old age.

I am sure that Dixons crane was new when the job was done , so on a 's' plate 77 to 78 , having been interested myself I came up with this info this morning , I will ask the man who was there about the turntable crack !

Ruston Proctor Steam Navvy No 306

Dating from 1909, this machine – Ruston's called it a 'crane navvy'[5] – is the oldest surviving steam navvy in the world.[6] It was originally used at a chalk pit at Arlesey, in Bedfordshire, England. After the pit was closed, the steam navvy was simply abandoned and 'lost' as the pit became flooded with water. By the mid-1970s, the area had become a local beauty spot, known as The Blue Lagoon (from chemicals from the quarry colouring the water), and after long periods of drought, the top of the rusty navvy could be seen protruding from the water. Ruston & Hornsby expert Ray Hooley heard of its existence, and organised the difficult task of rescuing it from the water-filled pit.[7] Hooley arranged for its complete restoration to working order by apprentices at the Ruston-Bucyrus works. Subsequently it passed into the care of the Museum of Lincolnshire Life.[8] The museum was unable to make full use of the machine, and, not being stored under cover, its condition deteriorated. In 2011, Ray Hooley donated the machine to the Vintage Excavator Trust at Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum in Cumbria. It was moved to the quarry in 2011,[6] and (as of 2013) full restoration is once again underway.