How many conqueror tanks are running in the uk

attleej

Dear All,

I would love to know how many Conqueror tanks are actually running in the UK or even the world. By running I mean that they have run in the last 12 months or everyone is confident that the tank could be made to run with a couple of day's servicing.

There is the REME museum's Conqueror ARV that is "on the button".

IWM Duxford has an ARV but I don't know when it last ran.

I do not know of any other ARV's that are remotely serviceable. What about the gun tanks? Any info would be much appreciated

John

IWM Duxford has 2 Conquerors

ARV has not run in ages, dunno what state it is in as it has been under tarp since I've been a member.

MBT is a runner, but has a sticky 3rd gear, and the aux genny doesn't work. Apart from that it's fine.

Duxford restored a gun tank and swapped it to the Russians for the JS2. Both were good runners then.

When Duxford got the above one as a range wreck they also got a seccond wreck but I can't remember what happened to it - anyone know ?

The Belgian army museum had a gun tank, as did Sinsheim but I don't think either were runners though they were painted up on the outside.

The Budge gun tank was a runner - did it go to the Littlefield collection ? Then where ?

The IOW museum had a ARV - not a runner.

Somewhere there is the Cernarvon (Conc. hull with dummy turret) that was at Duxford. I think it was a runner.

David

Edited by David Herbert

I've always thought the Conqueror a true beast of a tank ......does anyone know if any tests were carried out on the JS2 versus the Conqueror ? ....guessing by the time the MoD acquired one or two the possibility of them ever meeting up in reality was gone but ?...did it happen somehow ? where any captured/obtained from any of the Israeli conflicts around that time maybe to enable such a full on test to be conducted?..

Duxford restored a gun tank and swapped it to the Russians for the JS2. Both were good runners then.

When Duxford got the above one as a range wreck they also got a seccond wreck but I can't remember what happened to it - anyone know ?

The Belgian army museum had a gun tank, as did Sinsheim but I don't think either were runners though they were painted up on the outside.

The Budge gun tank was a runner - did it go to the Littlefield collection ? Then where ?

The IOW museum had a ARV - not a runner.

Somewhere there is the Cernarvon (Conc. hull with dummy turret) that was at Duxford. I think it was a runner.

David

Conquerors at Duxford, the first came as a result of the then assistant director of the IWM reading in the TIME’s about the Army having problems disposing of the obsolete tank due to its armour being extremely difficult to cut using what was available at the time. He phone a friend saying if they were having such trouble maybe the Army would donate one to his museum!! It duly arrived eventually going to Duxford around 1972-73. The Conqueror ARV was I think ex-Shoebury and a runner as was the gray Conqueror with the ballast weights (Canarvon) came ex- Christchurch via Bovingdon and I believe had been used in the Challenger development program at some point. The two ex-range Conquerors being acquired to build one for an exchange with the Russians who had a JS-2 on offer with the externally complete hulk going to Castlemartine as a gate guard. An interesting note when all 4-Conquerors running together the ground shook, they were also a delight to drive, the one that went to Russia before going took part in a parade at Carver barracks in front of the late Queen mother at the time of new regimental colours being presented – happy days

• 3 weeks later...

David

the Littlefield Conqueror was auctioned off after he passed away for $287K., no idea who bought or or whether it's still in the US.

http://auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=LC14&ID=r0075&Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

here's a video of it sitting on the streets of California after the auction, parked for 3 days due to a "shipping error" LOL.

nice looking machine , like a an M26 Pershing turret mounted on a KV-1 chassis.

So I think we have:

ARV 1

MBT 1 but slightly sick and 1 in the US

Is that really it?

Conquerors are difficult to keep. If it breaks down, about the only thing that will move it is another Conqueror. That's a hell of a risk for most people.

It's (comparatively) a lot easier to keep Centurion/Chieftain.

there are 3 conq arv's on the iow and a gun tank missing it's barrel that i think came off raf tain. there are also plenty of suspension bogies in the hedge round the back.

there were maybe 10 gun tanks in a scrap yard in aachen earlier this year but they would have been cut up by now.

WP_20150622_10_54_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20150622_10_54_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20150622_10_59_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20150622_10_59_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20150622_11_00_10_Pro.jpg

Edited by eddy8men

• 3 weeks later...