Help identify please

mark m uk

The captured Fiat spent its post war life on a farm in Gippsland . It still  had the original bodywork in the 1950's.  Two of these captured Fiats were taken up to New Guinea , so the owner says.

Edited by goanna

4 minutes ago, goanna said:

The captured Fiat spent its post war life on a farm in Gippsland . It still  had the original bodywork in the 1950's.  Two of these captured Fiats were taken up to New Guinea , so the owner says.

Hi Mike,

The owner told me he has both of them, captured in North Africa, brought to Australia then they went to New Guinea. I think he said one was used as a recovery vehicle in NG. Fascinating history.

• 1 year later...

Thank you Citroman, I will start some research based on that.

All I know for sure is that this wS built in Italy.

like many Italian Army vehicles, there is a good chance it was commandeered by the Germans, and entirely possible it found its way to France, as it has original ‘Normandy 3 colour Camo’ paint. 

The only other thing I know is that it was sold at auction in the early 70’s, and came to the U.K. 

So, a good chance it is French.

1 hour ago, mark m uk said:

Thank you Citroman, I will start some research based on that.

All I know for sure is that this wS built in Italy.

like many Italian Army vehicles, there is a good chance it was commandeered by the Germans, and entirely possible it found its way to France, as it has original ‘Normandy 3 colour Camo’ paint. 

The only other thing I know is that it was sold at auction in the early 70’s, and came to the U.K. 

So, a good chance it is French.

Hi Mark,

If the registration is French civilian, then the 14 means it was registered in the Calvados region, Caen, Normandy

2 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Mark,

If the registration is French civilian, then the 14 means it was registered in the Calvados region, Caen, Normandy

Thank you Richard, your sleuth skills are to be applauded.

I love it when all the dots join up - so, it would seem that this was indeed used in Normandy, captured and pressed into post war civilian service. 

Thanks again, regards, Mark.