My latest project

Ron

No industrial empire behind you, Ron but you do have the benefit of all us know-alls heckling and shouting advice from the gallery !

As far as I can see, the saddle stays on yours do indeed drop at the same angle to the top tube as on the prototype. What size tyre has the prototype got in it though ? even a 3.50 at 100% aspect ration would give you an extra 1/4" !

Rik my rear tyre is a 300 x 19 and I'm currently looking for a slightly bigger one. The front tyre size can be read on Jan's original pictures 325 x 19. We know the wheels are both 19", but so far I can't find a 325 trials tyre. I fear a 350 will be too tight for mudguard chain guard etc. Even though Sven Vossleman can supply me with proper Dunlop Speedways.....Cheaply! He's searching through his tyre contacts for a 325.

Horror the bike is fitted with a centre stand, which looks exactly the same as my Model D. The loops you refer to are the stops that rest on the underside of lower frame tubes. It also has a side stand (if I ever find something similar). Ron

448.JPG

Ah well done H. That is the only 325 trials tyre I could find, but all the other companies are out of stock. It's probably an obsolete size. I'll double check with Sven before I order one. Cheers Ron

PS. I've ordered one from that firm, and they seem to have the only ones left in the World! Free deliver too. Fingers crossed they don't let me down.

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron,

Very nice project. Keep up the good work!

Too bad that the Speedways don't fit.

Heidenau makes very good quality products. Their 'classic' tyre range (re)started with tyres suitable for classic roadracing. Somebody I know quite well initiated this because of the high demand for 50cc racing tyres with a vintage look. This all went well and Heidenau has a decent classic tyre program

Rgds, Sven

Thanks for looking Sven and it is a bit ironic that I have had to fit a German tyre! But as far as I can tell, it is the only 325 x 19 trials pattern tyre in the World. It arrived today and is now fitted and I think it definitely looks better than the 300 x 19 tyre I had fitted. Ron

EXP DC 279.jpg

Yes I was amazed! Three other companies had that same tyre listed at over £70 plus delivery charges. But were all "temporarily out of stock" This company charged me £53 with free delivery from Germany. It arrived in three days. Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Have you sprayed the exhaust Ron? If so, what paint did you use? I can never get anything to stay on downpipes.

Yes I used 'HYCOTE VHT' I was very impressed with it after I sprayed the 'used' system on my WD/G. Some heavy riding on that bike including our trip to Normandy this year and it hasn't even discoloured at the bend.......Granted, it's a cooler running OHV.

Since trying to find somewhere who can mat chrome plate them properly is difficult, the other options as you know are to grit blast bright chrome or stainless. Neither of which was a route I wanted to go down on this bike.

Ron

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I searched and searched for an outer primary case and in the end I borrowed one from another forum member and got one made. I also commissioned an exaggerated and oversized Flying Flea rear chain guard which I will have to sculpt to shape. Ron

EXP DC 289.jpg

EXP DC 290 (2).jpg

Ron Just catching up on your project ..looks excellent ..Must agree with your recommendation of the Ensign tyres , I have been exceptionally pleased with the ones i fitted ,Amazed at the Quality of metalwork you are commissioning , Can i ask who is fabricating these pieces for you ..?

Chris J AKA Jenkinov

Thanks Jenk.

Yes the primary case was made by Alan Swainson. The rear chain guard was Terry Roberts of 'Metal Magic'. Both are long time and well know fabricators of motorcycle parts.

Alan is nearly 80 now and who will replace him when he's gone? Terry is also well into his 70's but his son Drew is working in the business. Contact details on request.

Ron

Hi Ron, I've been watching the progress of your restoration of this bike and all I can say is that it is amazing. You must be so very pleased with the progress you have made. Can't wait to see a picture of it with you sitting astride it when finished.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best Steve.

Today I completed a dummy fit of my primary case and foot pegs etc.

One thing that came to light when I restored my Royal Enfield WD/D a few years ago, was that the cover for the contact breaker points would not fit as it's so close to the back of the inner primary case. The cover that came with the bike had a large cut out in it, which was performed by a previous owner. Even then you had to turn the engine over to align the points block with the cut out.

But after talking to an old Enfield guy, he informed me that the cover needs to be in two parts. So for the second time, I have asked my friend John to fire up his Myford and modify an original cover into two parts. Each part is then slim enough to be put in place one at a time. I don't know of another bike where this is necessary? Ron

EXP DC 296 (3).jpg

EXP DC 297 (2).jpg