Antar steering problem

We have a problem with the steering on our MK3 Antar, i.e we can't steer it, on jacks we can just manage it! We have been investigating and found that the shuttle valve in the hydraulic steering control is seized, we have take the two side covers off and can gently tap it back and forth, but its still too tight to work. how do we get it apart to fix it? I don't want to dive in without any information, has anybody got any service/ repair information on the steering column or an exploded drawing of it and the valve?

IMG-20140705-00212.jpg

I expect that I have got an EMER for a Mk III but it is the same system as for a Scammell Contractor. I am a bit busy getting ready for Dorset at the mo but I am sure that I will have some tech info avail IDC. Someone else may also be able to help.

John

I expect that I have got an EMER for a Mk III but it is the same system as for a Scammell Contractor. I am a bit busy getting ready for Dorset at the mo but I am sure that I will have some tech info avail IDC. Someone else may also be able to help.

John

Thank you John, I think I've tracked down some information, I will update our progress on here.

I take it you have checked that the pump mounted behind the centre of the front bumper is driving via the drive shaft to the crank pulley ?

Hi yes, first place we started, we worked our way up to the steering valve attached above the steering box, stripped and cleaned everything we could and fitted pressure gauges between fittings. we have found the problem, its the shuttle valve in the steering control, its seized in center position, I think I've now found the information to strip it down without damaging the mechanical link between the valve and the column, i will update on here when we have had a look.

thanks for the help everyone and fingers crossed!

We have a problem with the steering on our MK3 Antar, i.e we can't steer it, on jacks we can just manage it! We have been investigating and found that the shuttle valve in the hydraulic steering control is seized, we have take the two side covers off and can gently tap it back and forth, but its still too tight to work. how do we get it apart to fix it? I don't want to dive in without any information, has anybody got any service/ repair information on the steering column or an exploded drawing of it and the valve?

Hi

Remove the upper cover nuts and slide the upper column up about six inches, retaining the shims. You will be able to pull the steering column out of the steering differential. Remove the differential by pulling it up. (usually slides up easy) Once the differential is out and the operating pegs on it are out of the Hyd valve and bias valve, you will be able to push the hyd spindle out of its housing.

It is worth removing the bias springs before removing the top cover. This is done by releasing the top hat caps located ether side and some 3 inches rear of the hyd valve. Be careful to catch the spring and shim discs from each side and keep them handed for reassembly.

For the best and balanced power steering, you will need to attach a pressure gauge to the steering ram hose connections. Best done with two gauges capable of 1400 psi. Or one gauge through a two way tap. I cannot remember the actual pressure the EMER required but by adjusting the shims in the bias valve caps to achieve a highest and equal pressure when the steering wheel is pulled to each side.

Edited by FEC

• 2 weeks later...

We have success! I've had the A team here this weekend, and now we have steering. The piston was seized due to being burred up because the mushroom head for want of a better description on the top of the pinion shaft that pushes the valve left and right had sheared off, the shortened rod had then ridden out of its slot in the piston and damaged the edge, thus jamming it in the outer sleeve. Once we had that all fixed and working lovely, just for comedy value the old girl decided to blow the hydraulic hose to the ram! luckily we had the bits to make a new one. NOTE to self-next job replace the other hoses.IMG00153-20150912-1203.jpg

IMG00149-20150912-1143.jpg

IMG00151-20150912-1143.jpg

IMG00154-20150912-1452.jpg

IMG00155-20150912-1452.jpg

IMG00159-20150912-1805.jpg

Well.? Never saw that in 12 years overhauling Antars.

Yes worse than I was expecting, the wear on the end of the shaft and the broken off part looks like it had been broken for a long time, there were also pick up marks on the shaft and inside one of the pinions. There was a small rust patch in the outer sleeve, the rust could have caused the initial sticking of the piston then loaded the shaft up a lot more. the burring on the corners of the slot in the piston could have been caused by us recently when we jacked up the front and started working the steering from side to side to find the fault.

Loving the "beast"! Must dig out the brochures etc I have for that and send them to you.

Cheers that would be good, any information is handy. We are trying to get to the bottom of the production numbers for the Smith, everyone thinks it was 50, an old gentleman who worked for Smith says only 3, and another very knowledgeable gentleman has told me that 50 where ordered and only 12 actually produced. Any thoughts?

Cheers that would be good, any information is handy. We are trying to get to the bottom of the production numbers for the Smith, everyone thinks it was 50, an old gentleman who worked for Smith says only 3, and another very knowledgeable gentleman has told me that 50 where ordered and only 12 actually produced. Any thoughts?

I have only ever seen 2 yours and the one on Nelson Greens airfield.

I have only ever seen 2 yours and the one on Nelson Greens airfield.

There might be a third, on the American site Steel Soldiers i found a chap in Scotland who said he had bought one, unfortunately i couldn't get in touch with him, and when i asked people on the forum who had been in contact with him i found out he had passed away. link below to the forum post.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?16195-Another-kroctec-Ride

he was a Unimog and supacat man from Dingwall Scotland, his posts where in 2007 so it might still exist. so far I haven't been able to track it down though.

I just checked out the Steel Soldiers link and the crane is referred to as a "Rodley" Smiths Crane…I used to live near the crane works in Rodley Leeds…coincidence or is that where its from?……… (heres my lump)[ATTACH=CONFIG]108188[/ATTACH]

very nice love those old Volvos. Here's a picture of the crane, bit off thread now but what the hellIMG-20141220-00509.jpg this is the type of crane the chap Dave Gudmundsen from Dingwall in Scotland said he had, the old boy has defiantly passed away, had that confirmed now. He only had a picture of the crane from a book on his forum page,not a picture of his actual crane, so i can't confirm if it exists or did he ever even have it.

he was into Unimogs and Supacats mainly i believe.

I just checked out the Steel Soldiers link and the crane is referred to as a "Rodley" Smiths Crane…I used to live near the crane works in Rodley Leeds…coincidence or is that where its from?

There were several crane makers called Smith, one of which was at Rodley, Leeds. Their products usually had "Smith Rodley" on the counterweight leading many people to refer to them as Smith & Rodley but the Rodley is just their location. Sorry but I can't remember their exact trading name or that of the other Smith crane makers.

David

Nice SUGA

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108188[/ATTACH]

• Like 1