BRDM Driver

New toy!

Fancied something interesting to pootle about in:

austin outside3.jpg

austin interior.jpg

austin outside.jpg

austin engine.jpg

Austin 16 BS1 (2.2L).

Drives great, cruises at 50mph, just doesn't stop too quickly due to pushrod brakes! :sweat:

It was RAF blue before at some point and has been hand painted green, bit that all adds to the charm!

Just right for trips to Tesco's and the school run.:D Though jokes aside you can use that everyday! >:( As for the brakes, well you have to DRIVE the vehicle, not some numpty in an office telling a computer what it should do for you. I love it!

It's a 1946-47 according to the Austin owners club. I don't have much history for it at.

Yes it's very 'hands on' to drive in a fun way, not in a scary way!

It's all very simple. Cart springs, beam axles - just like the BRDM! It rides really smooth.

It has a Jackall system where you can jack the front or rear axles up on built in hydraulic rams.

Richard, that looks like an Austin engine to me, why do you think it doesn't? The alloy rocker cover is unusual for Austin but they did have those.

Richard, that looks like an Austin engine to me, why do you think it doesn't? The alloy rocker cover is unusual for Austin but they did have those.

Something about it that looked too modern. I thought the cars still had sidevalve engines at that time.

Apologies, now see that the 16 had the 2.2 litre ohv engine, same one as the K8 van had in late 40's I imagine.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Yes the BS1 engine, a very modern engine for the time and used for many many years...

It is odd that its called an Austin 16(hp) with a 67hp engine!

It still has a dynamo and it's positive earth!

One feature I really like is that there's a dipstick for the gearbox just next to the gearstick.

It's had indicators added but the trafficators still work.

There's a handle on the dash that opens the windscreen too.

Nice vehicle and less of a fuel guzzler for those arena events.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::drive:lol

Nice vehicle and less of a fuel guzzler for those arena events.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::drive:lol

Ha Ha Ha!

Alas the fuel gauge doesn't work too well on this either! :-(:red: