AEC Matador's. When, Where & Why?

Ian43

Hello All,

I was given a copy of this interesting post war photo a few years ago from a fellow Matador enthusiast and having recently re-discovered it I thought that it would be nice to know more about it, hence the When, Where & Why?

Hopefully someone knows the answers.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Matador Convoy(2).jpg

Matador Convoy(Small photo).jpg

I might be talking nonsense, but that doesn't look like a war photo. It might be wartime - though isn't that a Landrover up on the far bank?

Beautifully organised convoy of the same unladen vehicles, soldiers standing formally on each pontoon, a grandstand or saluting stand in the background - I'd say it's an exercise or demonstration, probably put on for VIPs of some sort, and thus unlikely to be in a theatre of war.

Afraid I have no idea what or where though.

Edited by Sean N

It is a LAFB-light assault floating bridge designed in 1947 and pictured at the RSME-Royal School of Military Engineering at Chatham. The flatbed Matadors were used in conjunction with a trailer to transport the component parts.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aa7gAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA275&lpg=PA275&dq=light+assault+floating+bridge&source=bl&ots=tgqT2ZV8_x&sig=TtuP7F-VbaWy90zvgtB3l0z5Cvc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwB2oVChMI7LyQlaXFxwIV0grbCh1QlgwR#v=onepage&q=light%20assault%20floating%20bridge&f=false It even shows a view of the half built bridge.

Edited by radiomike7

I spotted the Land Rover myself which is why I described it as a post war photo.

It certainly appears to be a formal event of some description.

Ian.

Isn't that odd, I read that as 'interesting war photo'. My apologies.

Richard, I thought that might well be a K6 but my eyes obviously aren't as good as yours.

It is a LAFB-light assault floating bridge designed in 1947 and pictured at the RSME-Royal School of Military Engineering at Chatham. The flatbed Matadors were used in conjunction with a trailer to transport the component parts.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aa7gAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA275&lpg=PA275&dq=light+assault+floating+bridge&source=bl&ots=tgqT2ZV8_x&sig=TtuP7F-VbaWy90zvgtB3l0z5Cvc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwB2oVChMI7LyQlaXFxwIV0grbCh1QlgwR#v=onepage&q=light%20assault%20floating%20bridge&f=false It even shows a view of the half built bridge.

On youtube there is a film of a visit by the Queen to Chatham, mid 50's ? not sure, it looks very much like that, worth a look lots of interesting lovely old plant working.