Registration of Stormer Shielder

I never claimed to be whiter than white, I've already said I registered and used a vehicle on the road which with hindsight probably shouldn't have been. We all make mistakes, it's being able to admit and learn from them that's the important thing. I quickly decided that my vehicle wasn't worth the risk of running on the road. Fortunately, at the time I had access to plenty of fields to play in without setting a track on a public road.. I realise however that not everyone is that fortunate.

You asked for advice, there is a lot of knowledge on here.. Don't always expect to get the answer you want. I don't think that's people being negative/trying to spoil your fun rather trying to give you the full facts as we've found them. As I said before, it's your life and decision what you do with that information now..

Im involved with a haulage company and as such have a lot of experience with the people who police our roads. I could give countless examples where HGVs have been involved in incidents, both fatal and non-fatal where the HGV driver was clearly not to blame and this has been backed up by dozens of witnesses at the scene. The vehicles are still usually impounded for weeks at a time while they're gone over with a fine tooth comb while the authorities look for any reason, whether connected with the incident or not, to throw the book at the driver/operator. I imagine unusual vehicles would be subject to even more scrutiny...

Maybe I'm over cautious, but I decided it wasn't worth the potential hassle for what's essentially a giant toy.

As for your V55, if I remember correctly I put the vehicles dimensions, weight including a ticket from a public weighbridge as evidence, engine size, fuel, number of seats, make, model, wheel plan - tracked. Just fill in as much as you can, but there is a lot that's not applicable. Can't help you with taxation class for that particular vehicle.

Rides of in to the distance smirk on his face confident he has made the right decision. At least the recent poster with a Foden drops made up a good story about it not being for him As for filling in the V55 its just like being back at school doing an exam answer those you know leave the rest blank Oh and don't forget to put your name on it that's 10 extra marks plus they know who to screw when it all cocks up for giving false information

Edited by cosrec

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Just very interested in reading your posts ,,, lol pmpl

There seems to be a problem with oversize. A tracked vehicle does not have size restrictions. Even crown vehicles must now comply with law. Ie a challi 2 . There is no exemptions anymore

I did 100s and I mean 100 of miles in my tiran on the roads with no problems. THE WIDTH WAS ON THE LOG BOOK,,10.8 AND I TOLD THE INSURENCE.

I had people telling my my Foden drops was over width and in construction and use regulations 8.3 is as wide as you can have,, but a Foden is 9.57 wide,,SO stgo REGS at 55ton again I have not heard of anyone who has one got any problems with width , mine was the first on in the uk on the road and I helped others register there's.. with no problems,, and some would say not telling pork pies on size.. I said it a 55ton train weight vehicle being coverd by stgo regulations. God forbid I ever run anyone over in there rangerover.. but I would be happy to stand in court. water tight..i think

I am looking for a shielder myself and I can assure you it will be road registered and driven on the road.

It is good for people to point out pit falls and I hope people will continue to do so,, on the side of caution if your unsure do not do it.

But I am sure and I will.

398621_2970816803187_1644767458_2543560_1413184319_n.jpg

288047_4126033162874_1863401631_o.jpg

I recently read an advert on Milweb in the Tank driving & Training section from a company called Total Driving who appear to provide tuition for a number of different types of vehicle . They have video on their website of their road registered Shielder being used for driver training - might it be worth contacting them to enquire what process they went through ?

I agree with Chris on this one and excuse my poor attempts at cut and paste.........

Tracked vehicles are not exempt from Con & Use regs and you will be in a whole world of pain should there be a problem that occurs on the Highway.

Overall Width of Vehicle. This will be taken as the original manufacturers specification but might be subject to legal argument should a particular vehicle be modified to less than that figure.

Regulation 8 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 The overall width of a vehicle specified below shall not exceed :

• a locomotive, other than an agricultural motor vehicle - 2.75 metres

• any other motor vehicle - 2.55 metres

The only way that it might be used and not considered overwidth is by looking at what category of vehicle it is registered as:

The only category that might fit this would be Locomotive however, this is normally used for things such as cranes and Shielder would definitely not apply. Excepted articles are tools specific for the vehicle.

Meaning of “motor vehicle” and other expressions relating to vehicles.

(1)In this Act—

• “heavy locomotive” means a mechanically propelled vehicle which is not constructed itself to carry a load other than any of the excepted articles and the weight of which unladen exceeds 11690 kilograms,

• “light locomotive” means a mechanically propelled vehicle which is not constructed itself to carry a load other than any of the excepted articles and the weight of which unladen does not exceed 11690 kilograms but does exceed 7370 kilograms,

I stand to be corrected on any of the above but I am certain that it is right. There have been threads in the past about 432 in particular having the same problems.

The majority of police officers on patrol will probably not have any idea of legality beyond licence and insurance but an investigation will pull everything apart.

Just my 2p.

Dave

Oh, by the way. The fines for running over width, over length or over weight vehicles can be very large and there is always VOSA who will pull something in and crawl over it.

Those boys and girls certainly know their stuff and run their own prosecutions - ask any haulage operator.

I recently read an advert on Milweb in the Tank driving & Training section from a company called Total Driving who appear to provide tuition for a number of different types of vehicle . They have video on their website of their road registered Shielder being used for driver training - might it be worth contacting them to enquire what process they went through ?

and did they

give a reasonable explanation of how the registered an over width vehicle insured etc. for road use

There are even c and u regs aimed directly at track laying vehicles ie [h=4]Tracks[/h]28.—(1) Every part of every track of a track-laying vehicle which comes into contact with the road shall be flat and have a width of not less than 12.5 mm.(2) The area of the track which is in contact with the road shall not at any time be less than 225 cm2 in respect of every 1000 kg of the total weight which is transferred to the road by the tracks.(3) The tracks of a vehicle shall not have any defect which might damage the road or cause danger to any person on or in the vehicle or using the road, and shall be properly adjusted and maintained in good and efficient working order.