Registration of Stormer Shielder

Morning all

I now have all the paperwork I need to try and get my Shielder registered. Still unsure of what and what not to fill in on the V55.

I have been told that someone else has manage to register one on the road and if I could get hold of them pick their brains as to what they filled in on their application.

Person in question might live near Colchester but not sure.

Any help in tracking this person down would be appreciated.

Thanks

Antony

Morning all

I now have all the paperwork I need to try and get my Shielder registered. Still unsure of what and what not to fill in on the V55.

I have been told that someone else has manage to register one on the road and if I could get hold of them pick their brains as to what they filled in on their application.

Person in question might live near Colchester but not sure.

Any help in tracking this person down would be appreciated.

Thanks

Antony

Best bet would be to get in touch with the Alvis fighting vehicle society I'm sure they have one that is road registered, Andy Baker would be the one to talk to.

Hope this helps, mark

Cheers chaps. I have previous spoken with Andrew and he is a very busy guy. I will give him a try again this morning.

I get such mixed comments. So many people straight on the overwidth but as you have said and I have seen some examples (Stormers) they have been registered.

Thanks

Antony

Hmmm, I just typed out an response but decided to delete it and start again.

I came on here for a bit of help. Most of know the rules but we are looking for the ways round. It has been done previously, and now I am looking to do it. Any advice in reaching the goal is much appreciated.

I am reasonably confident that the vast majority of people on here have broken or bent rules to suit at some point in their life.

Soooo, if there is any constructive advice on offer, thank you in advanced.

Antony

There is nothing fitted to the sides of the vehicle - all bit and pieces removed prior to purchase.

Avoided is a bit strong. Not in possession of the information is much more accurate.

I could get my tape measure out, but I like the information that you have furnished me with.

Thanks

Antony

I'm trying to help you out here, as someone who has registered several CVRTs in the past. I didn't realise you were going to be so ungrateful.

Don't worry, I'll leave you to it from now on. I wish I hadn't said anything in the first place.

Years ago I registered an FV432, I can't remember the exact width but they are over the maximum width limit for tracked vehicles.

When filling out the form I put the vehicles actual width knowing that the registration would most likely be rejected. However, to my surprise it was approved. Now this doesn't change the fact that the vehicle is still over the maximum width allowed by construction and use regulations, but I had given the DVLA genuine data on the form..

However, a registration document does not mean that a vehicle is road legal just that it is registered. It is not necessarily up to the DVLA to know every regulation, but the owner to ensure their vehicle complies with the law. Ignorance, unfortunately, is not an excuse. This is one of the reasons I ended up selling my 432 and buying a CVRT which does meet the regulations as far as I'm aware.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but run an over width vehicle on the road and have a fatal accident etc and you'll get the book thrown at you, these days that could mean doing time at her majesty's pleasure. Lie on the registration form and you're opening yourself up to more trouble.

End of the day it's your decision though.

Antony,

I suspect that Chris is trying to guide you in the direction of getting your vehicle road registered legally by ensuring the width is below the max permitted whilst on the road (whilst replacing any offending bins or whatever makes it over width whilst at a show or off-road). I don't think I have seen a single piece of duff advice from him on the forum.

Like sidewinder says, at the end of the day the decision is yours, but the onus is on you if you do drive it on the road (ignorance is no defence in an accident).

the same could be said for those vehicles that require no MOT, the onus is on the owner to ensure it's maintained and in a fit state to be driven on the road.

"There is none so blind as them that don't want to see". Hence the "can you advise me how to register a vehicle i know is illegal". Then I can down load it on some other dupe and get my money back

Edited by cosrec

Years ago I registered an FV432, I can't remember the exact width but they are over the maximum width limit for tracked vehicles.

When filling out the form I put the vehicles actual width knowing that the registration would most likely be rejected. However, to my surprise it was approved. Now this doesn't change the fact that the vehicle is still over the maximum width allowed by construction and use regulations, but I had given the DVLA genuine data on the form..

However, a registration document does not mean that a vehicle is road legal just that it is registered. It is not necessarily up to the DVLA to know every regulation, but the owner to ensure their vehicle complies with the law. Ignorance, unfortunately, is not an excuse. This is one of the reasons I ended up selling my 432 and buying a CVRT which does meet the regulations as far as I'm aware.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but run an over width vehicle on the road and have a fatal accident etc and you'll get the book thrown at you, these days that could mean doing time at her majesty's pleasure. Lie on the registration form and you're opening yourself up to more trouble.

End of the day it's your decision though.

Does not have to be fatal a relatively minor head injuries to a kid on a bike will see you and your family in misery for a long time

You are such a positive bunch of souls! As I have said we all know the rules and I fully understand it is down to me. I am sure that you are all law abiding people who have never wandered a few MPH over the speed limit etc, so I guess I can't argue with you.

Now, down to the Shielder with the tape measure.

Antony

You are being extremely disingenuous using a phrase like " I am sure that you are all law abiding people" and the context in which you said it. There are many helpful people on here as in all walks of life.

A brush with the public and the law is always helpful in discovering that a lot of what people have been saying by means of being helpful maybe a hard way of discovering the truth.

If you have bought a vehicle, which is over the maximum legally permitted width, now find yourself trying to avoid the consequences of that, which is well nigh impossible then so be it!

Diana

You are such a positive bunch of souls! As I have said we all know the rules and I fully understand it is down to me. I am sure that you are all law abiding people who have never wandered a few MPH over the speed limit etc, so I guess I can't argue with you.

Now, down to the Shielder with the tape measure.

Antony

Diana I am very surprised that you have posted, certainly after the PMs that you have sent me - would you say the same things in a public that you would in a PM?

If someone wishes to pass judgement on someone else wanting bend/break the rules then surely they must be whiter than white themselves. Otherwise they are surely hypocritical.

Anyway, tape measure worked well and all is good.

Now, back to the plot, as they say. My original post was asking for advise on filling boxes in on the V55 (not discussing C&U) and someone has been good enough to do that.

Have a good weekend people!