Simca Marmon parts

scrappyloz

Question

Ive recently brought a 1959 simca marmon and im looking for a source of body parts. I can get most small mechanical parts from rr services but im after a front screen and surrounds and possibly a canvas tilt and rear tailgate.

Cheers

Mike

Yes sure - btw I had a big shed sort-out this weekend and I now know where my spare set of SUMB dashboard boxes are - so if you can wait a few days I should have some control knobs for you. I do have one of the master light switches that I bought as a spare too

Regards

Iain

Cool

Looks like I will be back in the UK around the 12th of October. Some of the wiring has been bodged on my Acmat, with the most obvious being the heater fan and window washer switches that are something from Tesco's.

So my plan is to change:

1. power chrome toggle switch to Sumb lever type

2. Windscreen washer plastic Tesco junk to sumb type

3. Fan switch from Tesco to sumb knob (but need to find an on/off 2 position switch)

4. Heater switch from Tesco to sumb knob (but need to find an on/off 2 position switch)

5. Driving light to sumb knob (but need to find an on/off 2 position switch)

The Hotchkiss pull on off switches might be useable but I need to delve into it further

Mike

Maybe the best thing is to come up to Cambridge sometime when you are there and bring one of the spare SUMB boxes ?

For various reasons Monday or Thursday evenings are best for me

Regards

Iain

Sounds like a plan. I still figuring out dates as often these HQ meetings drag on after the official dates

Hi thanks for all the advice and photos. Carb is now rebuilt and all plugs and leads were re gapped and cleaned of any corrosion. It has never run better.

My fuel tank is currently off and awaiting repair.

I have a short way to go to get it road worthy.

Clutch master cylinder is leaking (i have the seal)

Fit new heater switch (i also have one)

Fix main beam floor switch

Fix charging system.

Find new front screen glass or entire panel as mine is rotten and glass broken

Does anyone have a picture of the battery setup in the middle of the front seats? Mine seems pretty small to fit two car batteries side by side in.

Also i know im not getting anything from my charging system.

Does anyone have a schematic or wiring diagram that can help me trace the fault.

Lastly does anyone know what each fuse does in the fuse box?#

Cheers

Wiring diagram attached. As vehicles go it is actually quite clear and simple.

logical-schematic.jpg

physical-schematic.jpg

I do have the fuse list but will need to dig it out later.

You can fit two batteries but they are small (038) and oriented fore and aft connected in series - positive is rear passenger side; negative is rear driver side and a link goes across the forward ends of the batteries - I can do a photo next time I am at the barn with the truck

Regards

Iain

If it does seem to be the generator, check that the regulator is supplying field current. It is a shunt wound generator and the field winding is controlled by the regulator - unfortunately the diagram does not show the wire colours so you will need to trace it - the field wire should be the thinner one. 24V Dynamo regulators seem to be rather scarce - Clive FV1609 may have some suggestions - I have been looking because mine does charge but seems rather less enthusiastic about it than I would like (max 10A into brand new batteries and then only at high revs)

Iain

Here is the list of fuses with my attempt at translation (can any Francophones confirm that "prise de baladeuse" is the accessory power socket on the dashboard - that's what the wiring diagram seems to confirm)

Hope this helps

Iain

fusibles-annotated.jpg

If it does seem to be the generator, check that the regulator is supplying field current. It is a shunt wound generator and the field winding is controlled by the regulator - unfortunately the diagram does not show the wire colours so you will need to trace it - the field wire should be the thinner one. 24V Dynamo regulators seem to be rather scarce - Clive FV1609 may have some suggestions - I have been looking because mine does charge but seems rather less enthusiastic about it than I would like (max 10A into brand new batteries and then only at high revs)

Iain

These dc shunt wound motors are an older tech that i dont really know much about. Can i treat it like a 12v alternator when measuring but expect to see 24v+outputs instead? or do i need to measure it any special way?

Is the regulator built into the generator is is it a separate external unit? Im not near the simca at the moment so i cant really check

I was at the truck this afternoon - would have checked if I had seen the question ! I believe it is a separate box. The Dynamo (DC generator) and its regulator are quite different to am alternator/rectifier set as used in modern vehicle systems - the dynamo contains a weak permanent magnet to get it started but most of the field comes from an electro-magnet powered by its own output - the regulator controls the output (mostly) by reducing the field current when the output gets too high - but because the regulator is based on electromagnets and relay contacts it can become sticky or have bad contacts after periods of disuse leading to charging problems (in the best case) or damage to the dynamo (in the worst case).

The Marmon seems to have the field winding in parallel with the generator ("shunt") rather than in line with the generator current going to the regulator and battery ("series") - as such it is more like a Lucas than a Bosch system. This article is about the best I have found:

http://matchlessclueless.com/electrical/how-it-works/lucas-voltage-regulator/

I plan to build one of these circuits adapted for 24V, when I need a regulator ...

http://ludens.cl/Electron/dynareg/dynareg.htm

Regards

Iain

I wish I had a diesel SUMB, have been running a V8 for about 12 years as a transport on a shoot! It is now giving us grief as I need to replace the HT leads, Sparkplugs but can't find a source in UK. France seems expensive. Does any body know where I might source some? RR Services have moved and say they have not got any Marmon parts. In anticipation, many thanks.

Hi

There is a chap at Melun in France used to have a fair range of NOS parts ( http://www.melun-retro-passion.com ) - I don't think he shows the SUMB bits on his web shop (only French E-Bay as seller "data974") and on E-Bay he doesn't ship to the UK though. See: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Simca-Marmon-V8-Cable-de-bougie-blinde-cylindre-n-4-BROIS-62920142371723-/161276080544

Mr. P4 has some at Montpelier: http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/755199881.htm - again you may need to find someone in France to receive them and forward them to the UK. Googling for "[h=1]Cable bougie blindé SUMB" may help find others.[/h]

RR must have sold out recently as I had some leads (he did say he hadnt got a full set left) last year.

My first SUMB had been converted to ordinary unscreened leads and plugs and was quite OK (I never did try wading in deep water or using a radio on the move, though!) - they had reused the original connectors at the distributor cap end.

Regards

Iain