Simca Marmon parts

scrappyloz

Question

Ive recently brought a 1959 simca marmon and im looking for a source of body parts. I can get most small mechanical parts from rr services but im after a front screen and surrounds and possibly a canvas tilt and rear tailgate.

Cheers

Hi

I am afraid it is now mostly down to cannibalism as I think RR services cleared much of their larger stock when they moved - I keep an eye on e-Bay for bits to progress my restoration when one is being broken within travelling distance - I probably dont have anything you need spare but I have 2 sets of sides - you are welcome to the less good ones if you need them.

On the other hand I am still after a set of hoops to hold up the tilt - in the worst case you are welcome to measure up my tilt as a pattern

Regards

Iain

Hi

Where are you located ? The chap that had my current SUMB project before me took off the hoops and cut them up but hadn't got round to taking them to the scrap yard - I actually kept some of the pieces as a template so I can get new ones made if none turn up by the time I need them - I hope to get the basic mechanics done by the end of the summer and have arranged undercover storage where l can do the electrics over the winter so I have until the spring to find some hoops ..

Regards

Iain

I got a spare carb off RR services for my previous SUMB so didnt have to research what it really is - I believe (based on http://www.bloomingdalecom.net/~billben/french.htm) it is a Zenith - certainly the quoted Zenith 32 NDX looks right in a google search for photos - I believe it was also used in some Porsche and Haflinger vehicles so rebuild kits remain on the market.

Hope this helps

Iain

Hi

I think I have had some small parts from him via e-Bay - I seem to remember postage for anything larger from France (for all sellers) was something of a deterrent to sourcing outside the UK

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

he seems to have a few http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Toutes-pieces-SUMB-Simca-Marmon-Unic-Boquet-Moteur-V8-Ford-Demarreur-Jeep-/161493001448?hash=item2599bba4e8

I bought the Simca switch panel from a dealer but it never got sent........ Couple of questions:

1. is there metal labels on the panel normally?

2. Is the start switch on/off or on off momentary?

3. Is the fan switch on off 2 position or 3?

4. Wiper, ditto

5. What is the T switch and is it on/off or on off momentary?

6. CH I guess is choke?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107741[/ATTACH]

Mike

The photo seems strangely familiar!

I think in all the manuals and real examples of the SUMB control panels that I have seen there were only the graphic symbols in the centre of each switch lever and small self-adhesive labels - I did once make up an annotated diagram (to help an MoT tester of my first SUMB) which is at: http://www.g0ozs.org/marmon/marmon-panel-0a.gif

The start switch is momentary between battery positive and the starter solenoid - there is a separate master power switch between battery negative and the chassis which is located on the left side of the gearbox tunnel forward of the driver's seat and the "power" switch on the panel controls basically the lights, fan and wipers.

The fan switch is on/off - there is a mechanical flap to select hot or cold

T is a hand throttle that allows control of idling speed - connected by bowden cable to the accellerator - it effectually controls the speed when the foot is off the accellerator

The wiper is on/off no intermittent or speed control

CH is indeed choke

I have a wiring diagram if it will help?

I have bought several things from ass.service.national - always good items and sometimes with extras, but the postage was always quite high

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
add starter info

Mike

The photo seems strangely familiar!

Did you buy it also?

I'm just looking for the switches to fit to the Acmat as some are the same, some are better that the chrome post mod toggle switches I have. I am chasing:

- 1 x power lever switch

- 1 x horn switch (will be used for wiper wash)

- plus another 3 or 4 horn or starter switches as for the knobs. I was hoping one of the switches was on off or 3 position for wipers fans etc. If I get the knobs I should be able to get the switches off something else

Mike

The photo looks identical to mine - there is one from 2011 from my web site (www.g0ozs.org) during my original Marmon restoration (the one I sold in January 2013) about taken 4 years ago - it was my writing - but I think the angle is slightly different ?

http://www.g0ozs.org/marmon/SUMB_Photos_October_2011/img/2/3_slideshow.jpg

Hopefully my old truck isn't being broken up - I will be sad if so :(

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs

Mike

The photo looks identical to mine - there is one from 2011 from my web site

Actually it might be your photo...I may have sent it to the dealer saying I want these 2 panels. So long ago now I forgot about them. Was thinking when I come over in October I could tidy up the Acmat wiring. There is a power switch on Ebat but they don't ship outside France. Are the knobs metal?

Hi

Re. the knobs I dont have one immediately in reach to scratch and confirm what's under the paint - I think they are some kind of fairly soft and brittle cast metal (I am sure I saw exposed metal on a broken one). They are secured to the switch spindle by a grub screw.

Regards

Iain

Hi guys ive nearly finished rebuilding my carb. In the picture below could someone tell me what the two (one is missing) valves/nipples are at the bottom.

Both of mine are constantly open so loads of air is getting sucked in. Are they supposed to be blocked off or have something attached?

Also i havent a clue how to set this carb up. Am i supposed to set the float bowl level first? and how do i adjust.

Sorry not a clue with this carb

IMG_5663_zpslo49nxal.jpg

Hi

I will see if I can find a diagram in the manual in the morning to show the connections. I only have a diesel SUMB to hand to check at present

I do have setup instructions in French somewhere - I think TM-WW2.COM have the full manual if you need it

Regards

Iain

Yes, there are only French language manuals - unlike the jeeps and GRCxx / VRCxx radios of US origin there are no US counterparts. I have attached the relevant pages for the carburettor from the service manual MAT4155 - Google Translate will explain the rest ..

Iain

206.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

Did they never export Sumb's?

I have some English stuff for the Acmat but they were sold to a lot of countries.

This site is were I find the most info http://www.vehiculesmilitaires.com/viewforum.php?f=18 but you cannot post in English... Some of the restoration blogs are useful, but the site moved 3 times so the threads are a lot shorter now

Leboncoin has some good stuff but often they wont post overseas but is worth a look. Much better if you got a contact to chase the stuff for you

Mike

I have never seen any evidence of an export SUMB - probably because the rest of the world was changing to Diesel by the late 60s - I think the Renault TRM series sold better (and indeed 1000 or so SUMBs got refitted with the TRM2000 engine to extend their service into the '90s)

They did try - I remember seeing a 1959 advert featuring the SUMB and targeted at the oil industry in English somewhere on the web but cant find it now

Iain

Thanks for the reply. I think your right it should hold idle screws. Also mine seem to go straight out where as the ons on the pictures are fitted at an angle. I wonder if its got a different base plate of another vehicle.

Does anyone have any idle adjustment screws lying about? or a spare baseplate i can buy with screws included.

Ill have a look on ebay but they are usually quite expensive

Did they never export Sumb's?

I have some English stuff for the Acmat but they were sold to a lot of countries.

This site is were I find the most info http://www.vehiculesmilitaires.com/viewforum.php?f=18 but you cannot post in English... Some of the restoration blogs are useful, but the site moved 3 times so the threads are a lot shorter now

Leboncoin has some good stuff but often they wont post overseas but is worth a look. Much better if you got a contact to chase the stuff for you

I found loads of stuff on Leboncoin fingers crossed someone will reply. Thanks for the link