W&P 2015: Unusual 10 cwt Trailer. WWII?

Back to this trailer: the link Simon has added refers to the known example in the Netherlands, which is a Brockhouse.They had a contract S1551 for "Trailer 2wh (for Jointers)" which were allocated X4957838 - X4957873. I dont know when this contract was placed with Brockhouse.

those census numbers suggest that the contract must be prior to the date when the two numbers:two letters:two numbers system was introduced - so post 1945 but prior to 1949.

Reg number still looks like 69 EG 69 to me but could well be FG. Tyres are WD marked Mar 56, could be replacements though. Army Contract number 6/VEH/17396

Tony the mk2 trailers had the raising leg with clamp, mk1 had the pin going through the leg tube. A friend told me yesterday another 10cwt trailer had the mudguard brackets like this but cant remember which one.

Interesting summation Chris, makes sense.

Richard the hinged airborne trailer sounds very interesting, do you have any pictures?

The trailer tows very nicely, very solid. It looks very 'British' with those razor blade tyres, I'd prefer 6 x 16 on there. :D

ok. So not Brockhouse then.

My list of Taskers trailer contracts do not include that one or any contract for Jointer's trailers; but the lists are based on Chilwell Data book for July 1944, so still may have been placed and built in 44-45.

John/Richard,

Does the classification "1/2 Ton" shed any light.

The wartime description of these trailers was 10cwt which changed to 1/2 Ton.

The Identification List for the GS and Mortar Trailers dated April 1949 is titled "10cwt" but the August 1960 Parts List has it as "1/2 Ton"

The change must have been between these dates.

David.

So, piecing together all the stands, it looks like this particular 1/2 Ton Jointer's Trailer was built post-war by Taskers and would have obviously had had the post-war lights and fittings from new rather than at a mid-50s rebuild.

That said, it was clearly a popular 10cwt WWII design as Brockhouse had a wartime contract for them and there remained a requirement for further examples during the 1950's.

this trailer is sold several years ago to me and is used in the Belgium army

it has the Belgium markings en triangle abl marked reflectors and light on the mudgaurds

No 10cwt Jointers trailers is listed in the late war edition of the British Army Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles. However (and forgive the thread drift) it does include a 6kv generator on the standard 10cwt chassis used for GS, mortar and DF trailers. Has anyone ever seen what these generator trailers look like - they are not the airborne version.

Are these of relevance???

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=416.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9822

Hello Hans,

Hoped you see this thread. To answer your question of a couple of years ago, it des seem that there were Jointers trailers built during WWII by Brockhouse.

this trailer is sold several years ago to me and is used in the Belgium army

it has the Belgium markings en triangle abl marked reflectors and light on the mudgaurds

there must be a picture in the Belgium national army museum where is a bedford mwd withe the same trailer and they say it is made in 1945 in brussel

but is have not seen the picture not yet

Hello Hans,

Hoped you see this thread. To answer your question of a couple of years ago, it des seem that there were Jointers trailers built during WWII by Brockhouse.

Yes John both Taskers, the serial numbers were only about 90 apart.

The angled brackets are for flags, if the trailer was being used in heavy traffic areas they placed a flag on the side of oncoming vehicles.....the old chap at W&P told me this.

• 2 years later...

The same type of trailer just sold has a rear compartment door and the view of trailer expert Louis (who's friend bought this) is that this was for a generator set so that it could be accessed easily. He has a picture of a wartime chassis plate for this type of trailer and thinks they were re-plated post war but retained the low 5 digit chassis number. He feels this was a wartime chassis with a late war or early post war body (Not to add fuel to the general obsession over war/post war question!)      Simon mentioned the British Army Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles including a 6kv generator on the standard 10cwt chassis used for GS, mortar and DF trailers.    I believe this is that type of trailer.

Rear.jpg

• Like 1