Sterling HC165

All;

Attached are pictures of the latest acquisition to the motor pool. 1944 Sterling HC165 tractor with rear winch. It was ordered in April 1943 and delivered to the US Navy (Bureu of Docks and Shipyards) in April 1944 and saw service in the Boston, Ma. area, post war it was acquired by a house moving outfit HEFFERMAN. A nice survivor. Still has the Waukesha 6SRKR engine. According to Warren Richardson (noted Sterling historian) there were only 116 of this particular model built from 1939 to 1945, unknown how many went to the US Navy. Currently the only known survivor.

John G

IMG_7203.jpgû

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7196.jpg

IMG_7197.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7202.jpg

Edited by 42 chevy

That's a very nice truck, wonder what the Navy used it for?

In particular the cab looks very solid. The wood framing on the cab has been an issue with some the bigger Sterling Navy wreckers which were just too large to put inside.

Gordon;

Fortunately she spent her life stored indoors. A few odds and ends to do on the preventive maintance front. 5 speed main box with a 3 speed aux trans. Has all her orginal guages except for the temp guage.

John G

She is nice, and for a Sterling, easy to park ..... :angel:

I've seen images of a good few dump versions around the same size, and I remember seeing images of several abandoned ones in Greenland, with and without dump bodies.

Tony;

If your asking why the Navy wanted a chain driver wrecker/ truck, thats anybodys guess. If your question is why did Sterling build chain drive truck: durabilty and strength, higer ground clearance for ther rear axle if you are in an off road situation. Sterling had a reputaion in the industry for building heavy duty drive lines and with a chain drive you can easly change gear ratios by changing sprockets.

If your question is why did I buy a chain drive truck, thats easy, it has a serious cool factor....................

To answer the other Tony's question, since the truck is not at my place yet, I do not know the tire size, but they are big. Warren Richardson (noted Sterling Historian) was at the truck show where he spotted the truck, he ddi the recon and then I made I deal, so I have not "touched" it yet.

Forgive me, for what, I am just preserving history :laugh: however, I wil be selling some pieces from ther motorpool in the near, one is a 1940 G7112.

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

I assume that the previous owner was actually a "House Mover" in that they actually physically moved buildings?

A fair bit of power, load capacity and ability to take some abuse would be essential in that game.

Here is a picture with it hooked up to a trailer that was offered. A nice looking bit of kit as you guys would say. But I just took the truck.

John G

WHAT? Go back and get that trailer - RIGHT NOW!

How cool would it be to truck one of your large wreckers to a show on the back of that?

Edited by N.O.S.

I suppose if she were mine I'd be showing her off too, so you're forgiven this time John. :D

Are they 14.00 x 20s on the rear? I always find it difficult to judge tyre sizes on these early low-cab Americans.

Tony

Tony they look like 24" rims to me

Well if I acquire the trailer, some "issues" will need to addressed, namely licensing to operate on main roads. I have a class B commercial license with a passenger and air brake endorsement. This also allows me to operate vehicles over 26,000 lbs gvw and only pull a trailer up to 10,000 lbs GVW (gross vehicle weight), anything more and you need a class A license. Any policeman looking at that trailer will know it has a GVW well in excess of 10,000 lbs GVW. I can register it historically and keep it for "private" use and label the tractor as such but it does resolve the licensing required it operate it legally, however I would be exempt from Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.

John G

I think you need to go back and get that trailer as soon as you can, even if it is just to put it somewhere safe. I'm assuming it wouldn't be megabucks.

All of that, Navy grey - with some suitable naval-type load, maybe a small landing craft up on blocks....:D