terrierman

Although there are some different opinions, everyone is correct to a degree.

The original FVRDE Design Spec provided for only two tail lights "fitted as near to the extreme width of the vehicle as possible". I suggest these were underneath where the wooden blocks are now fitted. There were no turn lights at this stage (1953)

Turn lights for K9 were introduced in an EMER dated 1964. These were the Lucas FV type. So the existing lights do look a very civilian pattern, whether they were fitted by a civilian I know not.

The blocks are a buffer as has already been said. I don't think those wooden blocks are original, but the pick-up bodies did have blocks there, so these are probably a 'locally made' replacement. The back end of that body appears to have been messed about with and repaired a lot - see your photo of the G plate truck in your wanted ad for a more original appearance.

Those lights look like the cheap modern aftermarket replacement lights for Land Rovers. I think originally the lights would have been the standard militarised version of the Lucas 488 light, with the small early screw in lens with four flanges on. They would have been fitted where the white light is on your photo. In at least some cases the indicators, when fitted, went in next to them. As far as I know there would only have been a stop and tail light on the GS body originally, but all the office bodies I've seen appeared to have had indicators from new, so apparently pre-dating Clive's EMER.