Morris Tilly late model

It must be noted that the vast majority of this work is the skill and ingenuity of John (Jack) Neville, especially lately as non-essential movements are curtailed to stop the spread of Covid-19. when i get the chance i pop down to paint things, Jack is the driving force of this project, without which this project would've gone nowhere.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Radiator in and hoses connected.
Time to finish the grills.
I have rebuilt two grills but we did not have one decent wire mesh as both had been smashed around the crank handle hole.
Chris sourced some stainless steel woven mesh very close in design to the original galvanised wire. We salvaged the wire frame surround and reshaped it back to where it should be as they were both badly twisted.
That wire is only 2mm thick so impossible to work with.
I needed a frame to work with so I cut a piece of scrap to the shape of the mesh and curved it as needed.
Attached Images
attachment.php?attachmentid=114558&stc=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=114559&stc=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=114560&stc=1

The wire frame was then inserted inside the mesh and strand by strand each wire folded over, then cut back and curved over the frame with pliers. Another time consuming job but the end result very pleasing.
We just need to get specs on the crank hole insert, make that and pop it in place.
Attached Images
attachment.php?attachmentid=114564&stc=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=114565&stc=1 attachment.php?attachmentid=114566&stc=1 

The second grill has been completed and now I am finishing off the front guards, which after a couple of repair patches and panel beating are in for sandblasting.
What we don't have and Chris has been unable to source is any wing mirror mounts.
They are just folded sheetmetal but the base curves to follow the guard profile and there is a small indentation that strengthens the fold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1249.jpg Views: 0 Size: 225.0 KB ID: 114638   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1248.jpg Views: 0 Size: 177.9 KB ID: 114639

On 4/23/2020 at 1:04 PM, Chris_Collins said:
The trickier bit was to get 90 degree bends in the ends of the top hat.
I already had a strong tool made up for previous job so I added some guides into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1045.jpg Views: 0 Size: 309.9 KB ID: 113407   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1046.jpg Views: 0 Size: 260.9 KB ID: 113408   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1047.jpg Views: 0 Size: 252.2 KB ID: 113409   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1048.jpg Views: 0 Size: 227.9 KB ID: 113410   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_1049.jpg Views: 0 Size: 244.7 KB ID: 113411  

I love the homemade press, it looks very effective.