Toilets

cripp

After looking through some old photo's I've come to the conclusion that we're spoilt rotten with the facilities at W&P. 20 years ago I was into something completely different and the annual rally on the Isle of Wight attracted quite a few thousand visitors to the camp site.

These were the toilets supplied. :schocked:

width=640 height=912http://www.stc-uk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Latrines.jpg[/img]

This was on the August bank holiday and the smell was quite something. :cry: Not to mention the view. :-o

I don't think I'll complain again.

Back in the 1980's I went to one of the Air Tattoos at Greenham Common (before the missiles were there). We were all queuing for the Gents. It had a large hessian screen surrounding it, when you arrived at the screen you were confronted with a bloody great hole in the ground about 10 foot across and everyone was standing around the edge p**ing in it. A guy rushed in, obviously desperate, nearly fell in :-D

I dread to think what the sit down facilities were like :|

Ahh! Luxury!

I had similar interests 20 years ago. The festival at Trewergy (In Cornwall) was more basic than that. The urnials had the guttering but no screening at all, and due to their location, everyone could see what you were doing whichever angle you faced. As for the sit down facilities, you were just given a shovel, told to dig a hole, do your business, then fill it in again. This created a veritable minefield as the day went on. The camp sight was very interesting though. Lots of old AFS Commer's, Bikini units etc. I guess that they had only been recently released and were snapped up the travelling folk. I wonder what happened to them all.

Tim (too)

And whatever you do never do it in the dark, especially if you have been drinking, which of course is a Catch 22.

Great Dorset Steam Fair used to have the plastic gutters, now they have plastic modules in clusters facing inwards. So that you are face to face with another row of chaps looking at you as you p*** facing each other.

Usually the ground is uneven. Never go to the facility that is lower than the others in the event that it is blocked with fag ends etc. One year I chose a lower facility & realised that my trousers were getting a soaking but as I hadn't started my activities. It was alarming to realise that I had not wet myself, which is unpleasant enough, but I had been subjected to a communual contribution in my shoes & trousers.

I waddled back to the tent threw away all the clothing below the waist, attempted an improvised shower from a jerrican & that rather spoilt my evening.

I always take a torch now but that can look as if I am trying to attract

attention :oops: