Dispatch rider clothing and helmet

Escorsche

In general, if you're talking British then there is still an adequate supply of original stuff. Although prices have increased, they're not realistically above the cost of making decent replicas. Boots are perhaps the main exception to this.

Early-war stuff is difficult...but many 'Motorcyclists' rather than appointed DRs simply wore battledress and a greatcoat initially.

What period are you looking at and do you intend to dress in rubberised canvas ?

Most of the war time stuf is similar if not identical to cavalary gear. A Pythchley rubber riding mack (And a weight lifting course to wear it) plus cavalary breeches, not Johdpors, breeches, the one that finish below the knee with laces. Jods go all the way down and are bloody uncomfortable to wear with long boots.

helmets come up fairly often but are getting rarer due to being converted to para spec as the shells are the same,anything above a size 7 is rarer but they do turn up at fairs,as has been mentioned soldier of fortune do breeches and standard bd blouses,boots are a problem particularly in larger sizes but did continue in use into the 70s so occasionally turn up,personally I just use bd trousers and dms boots as I don't fancy riding in hobnails. Dr macs also turn up quite often but weigh a ton,take a look at the wd motorcycle forum header picture at the moment to see what people are wearing and it maybe worth putting a wanted ad on there

Nigel

Managed to pick up a helmet on eBay size 7, my friend is an upholsterer so can make it bigger for me, dm's sound good, looks like the trousers and top are available new so will go down that route, have gloves, but may struggle with the waistcoat, are some of these leather ?

The jerkins are indeed leather and quite popular as they do give some protection in the event of a slide. Woollen cloth of course isn't ideal for taking a trip up the asfalt in.

They're around but like all this stuff, are not so common any more and prices have gone up. Post-war Belgian look similar but have a different surface finish up close and need the buttons changing but they look OK from across the street.

The boots mentioned, if you're not going for the later-war high leg 'DR' boots are the standard issue ammo boots or the others referred to, the post-war equivalent 'Boots, ankle, DMS' (Direct moulded sole) They look fairly like ammo boots but the construction does differ a little...Not 'dms' if you were thinking of Dr. Martens....

If you're buying reproduction battledress, Panther Store are very good and straightforward to deal with.

http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catalog/en/british-militaria-1914-1945

The jerkins are indeed leather and quite popular as they do give some protection in the event of a slide. Woollen cloth of course isn't ideal for taking a trip up the asfalt in.

They're around but like all this stuff, are not so common any more and prices have gone up. Post-war Belgian look similar but have a different surface finish up close and need the buttons changing but they look OK from across the street.

The boots mentioned, if you're not going for the later-war high leg 'DR' boots are the standard issue ammo boots or the others referred to, the post-war equivalent 'Boots, ankle, DMS' (Direct moulded sole) They look fairly like ammo boots but the construction does differ a little...Not 'dms' if you were thinking of Dr. Martens....

If you're buying reproduction battledress, Panther Store are very good and straightforward to deal with.

http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catalog/en/british-militaria-1914-1945

I can vouch for Panther BDs really nice kit

repro leather jerkins are available from Silvermans surplus on the Mile End road London,they often sell them on ebay,also a very similar jerkin was used post war by the Belgians and these sometimes come but do need the buttons changing to make them more authentic

Belgian jerkins, in addition to the poncey brass buttons with the lions on are contructed of chrome-tanned leather with a brown surface finish but they remain grey underneath. The originals were vegetable tanned and do indeed darken down.

I wore a Belgian jerkin for yonks when I was landscaping and it never softened down or became 'lived in'.

If you really want to look the part, they're not really good enough but better than DPM camo and a full-face helmet !