Devon D Day at Braunton Burrows and Saunton Sands

Just got back from what was an absolutely superb event and one which I will remember for a very long time. Information on the event was posted by Utah1944boy on this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?47110-Devon-D-Day-2015

John and I drove down on Friday stopping over with family to make a 7:00 AM arrival on Saturday. I was a member of the Devon MVT for many a years so it was nice to see so many old friends, with the shout of “Hey look, its Tim…..quickly drive off before he notice’s us” still ringing in my ears.

Possibly the best event I have ever attended so many thanks to the organisers and to everybody who gave us a lift, which was very much appreciated. I have many images to post so I will make a start here.

We hitched a lift in a Dodge to make an early start at the Assault Training Centre where we stopped off at the bazooka wall to set up some pyros to give a display of bazooka training as the convoy approached.

IMG_8377_zpshqs3h6jl.jpg

IMG_8378_zpsrvuro3of.jpg

GMC which followed the Dodge down

IMG_8380_zpsu9sngebi.jpg

My first ride of the day (the Dodge)

IMG_8381_zpsf0hjuhm9.jpg

First part of the convoy arrives:

IMG_8386_zpsstocfycj.jpg

IMG_8387_zps2uh645ai.jpg

Rod who joined us from Oxfordshire:

IMG_8388_zpscxyl6wfv.jpg

Tims GMC (my fourth ride of the day)

IMG_8394_zpsdr27iaun.jpg

One of three SWB GMC’s

IMG_8397_zpsd2i8bh7l.jpg

Mack, first time I had seen this one when it was not raining at Honiton Hill

IMG_8396_zpsd8ovdiow.jpg

The next stopping point was the concrete landing craft where the vehicles were reversed into position through the bows. Lots of gouges here when the GI’s practiced doing the same 70 years ago.

IMG_8423_zpsf4tdlwhp.jpg

IMG_8417_zpsl9bewgjj.jpg

IMG_8420_zpsdgkm5yf8.jpg

The landing craft were built by engineers from the 146th one of whom left his name.

IMG_8422_zps8gfjgktd.jpg

There was then a memorial service and wreath laying which was very moving

IMG_8416_zpsozfy85ad.jpg

IMG_8408_zpsddhdh6m0.jpg

Followed by a flypast of Austers and piper cub

IMG_8412_zpsoeeima1q.jpg

IMG_8426_zpskikavdce.jpg

IMG_8427_zpszhhdl7fq.jpg

IMG_8429_zps8nkrfbl3.jpg

I was very excited to hear that Charlie was bringing his LVT for a play as it would be great to see it in its natural environment:

IMG_8570_zpsfuq1sjin.jpg

After running up and down the beach Will dipped its tracks in the water and the crowds descended for a closer look. Unfortunately, by this time I was in the pub and could only take photos from a long distance away:

IMG_8459_zpsvqksspmf.jpg

Unfortunately, the large number of wind/kite surfers did create a congestion issue. I would have thought the surfer would give way, but it seemed they did not feel the inclination

IMG_8461_zps0zhlbf6e.jpg

IMG_8464_zpsc2b9zjvf.jpg

IMG_8465_zpskkxzbydv.jpg

IMG_8466_zps5hcwfawo.jpg

IMG_8467_zps9f4qw3rp.jpg

IMG_8468_zps93hwr2zo.jpg

Tim brought out the Sexton from the Cobbaton Combat Collection. This is one of those which was imported into the UK by Dave Freeman back in the 80's. it looked and sounded superb and Tim put it though its paces. Tim indicated that it was probably the longest he had driven it.

IMG_8514_zpsmqlr8wju.jpg

IMG_8513_zps6b0xfhrm.jpg

IMG_8511_zpso94t2u6l.jpg

IMG_8508_zpsetasnqqv.jpg

IMG_8509_zpsicyyszm5.jpg

IMG_8512_zpsukg3aq7k.jpg

IMG_8505_zpsjuppajfx.jpg

IMG_8447_zps8nqlbizr.jpg

IMG_8504_zpsi7kp1ole.jpg

The highlight of the day has got to be the ride in the LVT. The noise, movement and heat from the radial engine are things I wont forget. Also the excitement followed by slight trepidation as the machine lifted and started to float. Makes me think a great deal about the US marines who used these in the Pacific. I have attached a few photos, but they really cant do justice to the amount of enjoyment I got out of the day. Many thanks Charlie and William for the ride:

IMG_8515_zpsbzstkyxv.jpg

IMG_8527_zps5kcocyfk.jpg

IMG_8529_zpssdohpjjp.jpg

IMG_8532_zpsrezrx77o.jpg

IMG_8537_zpsnutxquzp.jpg

IMG_8555_zpszsfbribr.jpg

IMG_8551_zpswqsjkypc.jpg

IMG_8558_zps1zghoelg.jpg

IMG_8562_zpsj16cxijr.jpg

IMG_8567_zpswdojvz8z.jpg

Finally (and I promise not to post anymore photographs after this), by the time we got back to the beach my ride (and all my kit) had gone back to Cobbaton in the Dodge. I then hindered Tim in his loading of the Sexton for which he kindly gave me a lift back to Cobbaton in his ex Fury GMC (which I understand is up for sale).

IMG_8579_zpsx6igby6g.jpg

Smiles and waves all the way back to Cobbaton. If you have never been to that museum I would highly recommend it.

Tim is currently restoring their Sherman which was in Fury. it is the one which blew up throwing the turret up in the air. It was recovered from a range and there is great deal to do to return it to running condition:

IMG_8574_zps1apuoozt.jpg

IMG_8575_zps8radn3gj.jpg

IMG_8576_zpsvinkyav2.jpg

Many thanks to Preston, Tim, the Devon MVT, First Wave 44 and the Friends of Braunton Burrows for arranging such a superb event. It sets the bar for the rest of the year.

• 3 months later...