Morris commercial C4

What does the data plate say please on your Charging panel. Looks a bit small to be a 1250 watt one.

I saw a panel like this forsale in a junk shop in Lincolnshire. It was under a lot of stuff right at back. Not shore of the output but will pass on the location if any one is interested.

Peter.

Made some progress on the interior of the cabin. Seats back in place, gearbox cover on the floor and a trial fit for the engine cover.

Started to put the door hinges back on there place ( on the existing holes for the screws) but I think the front edge of the door sticks out to match !>:(

Will need to look what's wrong with these hinges, if I leave it like it is there is a change that the postmen thinks it is a letter box .

Will need to fabricate a new door skin for the driver door, this side is to bad. Not yet decided if I will also make a new door skin for the passenger side.

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Here some extra pictures from the switchboard No.1, it's a 550 Watt type.

Just what I need for my Villiers Generator if you see anymore. The standard late war type were the 1250 watt type (see picture)..

Neither would have been carried in Radio Trucks.

Bkley_crs.jpg

All the little screw holes on the rear bulkhead of the cabin kept my wondering what there use was.

But after I found some picture of a C4 in a Russian collection my penny started to drop !

Took the measurements of the fitting pins of my new old stock door side screens and this felt just in between the little holes on the rear of the cabin.

So it looks like there where some brackets on the back of the cabin to store the side screens when not in use on the door.

I don't can put these pictures I found of the Russian collection on here but if you google you will surely find them

So I made a very basic jig to bend a piece of plate to make the little bracket

IMG_2054.jpg

The holes in the rear of the cabine

IMG_2057.jpg

And I think that this was there use

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Edited by guy66

Filler and sanding ! Not really a job I like, but the filler was really needed as the mudguards where well dented.

Now in high build primmer and tomorrow I need to sand the primmer a bit to get everything smooth.

IMG_2064.jpg

Made also new little strips that hold the felt in between drivers floor and side of the bonnet and found almost the same material as original that act as some anti slip under the accelerator pedal.

IMG_2059.jpg:nut:

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Edited by guy66

All the little screw holes on the rear bulkhead of the cabin kept my wondering what there use was.

But after I found some picture of a C4 in a Russian collection my penny started to drop !

Took the measurements of the fitting pins of my new old stock door side screens and this felt just in between the little holes on the rear of the cabin.

So it looks like there where some brackets on the back of the cabin to store the side screens when not in use on the door.

I don't can put these pictures I found of the Russian collection on here but if you google you will surely find them

So I made a very basic jig to bend a piece of plate to make the little bracket

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115505[/ATTACH]

The holes in the rear of the cabine

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115506[/ATTACH]

And I think that this was there use

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115509[/ATTACH]

Guy, I have got those brackets on the back of my PU cab, I wondered what they were for too, thank you, now I know !

• 2 weeks later...

Passenger side boxes back in place with the passenger foot well , and started to assemble al the gages on there place on dash board .

IMG_2069.jpg

The Autovac that I found at a jumble will first been send to the UK for a rebuild but now it's sure this C4 was equipped with this devise as all the fitting holes are all still there .

IMG_2072.jpg

:cheesy:

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Edited by guy66

Mudguards in paint and back on there place . For the front fitments I found some brass clamps that are used in electrical high tension cabins and these are a perfect fitting on the front mudguard support .

Next step well be the doors and the front windscreens. :undecided:

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Edited by guy66

Modified a pair of headlight supports that I can put over the centre of the mudguard support.

The repainted headlights are now on the modified supports .

IMG_2081.jpg

The windscreen supports have been trail fitted and will have a look for the glass in to the frames, the frames I have are in brass so now welding and repair required on these bits.

cat 07.2014 027.jpg

refitted the original plate on top of the toolbox on to the sill after bending back the bottom angle . There were some original parts modified when they build this tow truck !

IMG_2085.jpg

The engine cover is in to paint and the same for the sides but these need some adjustment as they don't fit to well.

Guy

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

Edited by guy66

Very nice Guy

my next job after the cab is the front mud guards, i think mine are slightly worse than yours were !

cheers

Jules

Good luck Jules , the best way to repair them is by fitting them on there original location. if you work on then of the vehicle they are difficult to handle and bend always the wrong way. :cool2:

• 1 month later...

Brake cylinders are back from reconditioning by Past Parts.

Started to assemble the front brakes, the brake shoes are relined and also added some new brake houses.

Rear brake shoes have also been relined .

Now I am looking for some tires with a bit of a classics design, looking at some Nato tires 900 x 16 but I am not 100% sure that these will fit on the rims.

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 2 months later...

This weekend took delivery of a Morris C4 W/T . this Morris need some serious engine work and general work to get it back roadworthy.

Luckily all the missing parts came with the vehicle!

Will come very handy to make a copy of the rear radio section for my wireless C4.

Rear radio body on this one is far from original and there will also be some work on it to get it right, so a lot of work in the near future .

IMG_2128.jpg

Rear radio installation is far from original, will need to investigate if this was not a early warning truck as there are some differences between this type and wireless type .:cry:

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Edited by guy66

Looking for some information about the Morris c4 that came my way for some work.

As I am looking to make a copy (and repair the last one) I need some information about the metal profiles I found under the floor in front of the radio box.

Ass it now looks it is more likely that this truck was a early warning model (radar) even the identification plate say sow.

Are these profiles to fit the radio table are the feet of the radar mast ??

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

Made a new door skin and wooden frame for the drivers door , original frame and skin where in bad condition.

Did also some work on the passenger side door and this door was in need of some adjustment on the A-post.

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking for some tyres to put on the Morris and as the original track grips are so difficult to find had to look somewhere else.

My thoughts where with NATO profile tyres as on my Bedford but had a better deal from John Gray that advertise on milweb for a set Petlas nt3 size 900x16. I was very lucky that John brought the 4 tyres over to Belgium when he came over for Tanks in town .

The look for me is close enough to the original ones and I like to drive these things some distance, don't like to worry to match about old cracked tyres.

IMG_2142.jpg

Had the wheel rims sandblasted and back in to paint with the brake drums.

IMG_2144.jpg

Still looking for the right rim for my spare tyre, the rim that came with the Morris is probably a post war rim and have more bolts to assemble the two rim parts together .

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 2 weeks later...

Made a support for the axillary dynamo to supply the radio battery's for the Wireless set up.

As there is not match information about how to fit the axillary dynamo I based my support on the pictures I have of this type of dynamo fitted on to Bedford's .

Had to improvise a bit as on the Bedford's you don't have a handbrake rod that interfere with the dynamo, Bedford has only one central handbrake cable and on the Morris you have on either side a rod to engage the brakes .

IMG_2155.jpg

Now I need to make the two drive flanges, one for the pto and one for the dynamo.

Found also a propeller shaft with the same style of universal joints as used on Morris , only need to lengthen this shaft.

IMG_2156.jpg

Picture out of the workshop manual.

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

Edited by guy66

Made a new door skin and wooden frame for the drivers door , original frame and skin where in bad condition.

Did also some work on the passenger side door and this door was in need of some adjustment on the A-post.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]120376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]120377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]120378[/ATTACH]

Hi Guy...LOOKS FANTASTIC WORK !! What type of wood did you use for the new door frame please?...thanks for the tip on the MWD engine /gearbox..missed it because I was on my honeymoon !!!! ..:-\

Andy, the door frame is made of ash and now a have some extra wood on order for the radio box. Will make a complete new body for my C4 and repair the radar truck from a friend that I have for the moment in for engine work.

It's great that I have a sample vehicle with the right box on it to make a copy.

Guy.