Thought that I would dig the jeep out this year and put some miles and smiles on it, only to find that this ethanol stuff had dissolved the flexi pipe between engine and fuel filter :undecided: allowing the fuel pump to draw air into the line.

100_5224.jpg

As you can see that pipe is not very old I think I fitted it around 18 months ago and thought it was ethanol proof ,now I can't remember which of the Jeep spares dealers I bought this from but I am disappointed that sub standard parts not fit for use are being sold to us :mad:

Luckily this occurred in the garage and not on the way to a show etc so I guess the moral of this tale is to make sure fuel parts are compatible with this modern fuel.

I am rebuilding the fuel pump now with a new diaphragm just in case as it was full of black gooey dissolved rubber fuel pipe.

I've also had problems with the fuel taps on the Norton :mad:

Has anyone used ethanolmate which is supposed to help prevent this damage occurring ?.

I suppose the thing is, when did you last use the vehicle? I try to drive everything at least once a month throughout the year. I learnt my lesson with one vehicle & didn't drive it for 12 years. The fuel system became clogged up with a brown gunge resembling shellac, had no problems since I adopted the once a month routine.

Hi Clive

The Jeep had been sat a couple of months after I had refurbished the starter motor surely components should be fit for purpose and last longer than a couple of months, this is not the first time that items have failed to perform, I bought a bi-metal spring to fit to the exhaust manifold counterweight only to find it did not move even when heated with a blow lamp -- useless !!! also a new set of points that although fitted the distributor would not adjust correctly.

My point is why is this rubbish being sold to enthusiasts ? I feel that parts are being produced for profit rather than reliability, no good to me when sat on the side of the road waiting for a big yellow taxi to take me and the jeep home.

And I do remember where the spring and points came from and I won't be using that supplier again, I tend to vote with my wallet and will spend my hard earned elsewhere.

Anyways rant over and the Jeep is fixed with a new flexi pipe and spare fuel pump I've also stripped cleaned and rebuilt the old one to keep as a spare just in case :D.

RR.

You are not alone on questioning the quality of parts sold, I once got through six head gaskets from a well known supplier on my Jeep until I was warned they had bought a "bad batch" from China, they were happy to keep selling them though. I used a gasket from another supplier and have never had a failure since ! A friend who works at a highly respected local classic car garage tells me that many of the parts they source from supposed one make parts suppliers are sub standard and either are not fit for purpose or require work to make fit the vehicle they were bought for. I now use ONE supplier for my Jeep and have never had a problem.

Unfortunately, unless the rest of us know where NOT to go for Jeep parts, we all run the risk of giving our hard earned cash to the wrong supplier and helping them stay afloat whilst we sit on the side of the road broken down with poor quality parts.

I appreciate that you may not wish to badmouth anyone but it would help me to know which is the 'one supplier' you use now for Jeep parts. Thanks Steve

Unfortunately, unless the rest of us know where NOT to go for Jeep parts, we all run the risk of giving our hard earned cash to the wrong supplier and helping them stay afloat whilst we sit on the side of the road broken down with poor quality parts.

I appreciate that you may not wish to badmouth anyone but it would help me to know which is the 'one supplier' you use now for Jeep parts. Thanks Steve

I use Universal Jeeps for ALL my stuff, never had a problem. Cliff knows his stuff and always goes the extra mile to help.

I use Universal Jeeps for ALL my stuff, never had a problem. Cliff knows his stuff and always goes the extra mile to help.

Then I am safe then , as I use him too. Taught by Tony Suddes he ought to be the best!

Thanks for your help. :laugh: