R/Enfield 350 WD/CO pilot screw and leaky gearbox!

gary0003

Can anyone advise me on roughly how many turns out the pilot screw should be please (Amal 276 carb).

When the bike is tilted to the right oil leaks out of the gearbox - it seems to come from around the kick-start shaft, what is the likely cause please?

I always start by turning the pilot screw out 1 1/2 turns. I have the same problem with my well used CO And G. Oil weeps from the kick start shafts, which will probably need re-bushing on the next overhaul. My G also leeks from the drive end main shaft bearing, which I'll probably replace with a sealed bearing at some point. In the mean time, I just keep them topped up and try not to park on posh block paving. Ron

Funnily enough, I've recently been reading this up. I have several books on CO's and there are different versions of the answer. From grease to SAE 50??? I've always used SAE 50 and so has my mate Ted who is an outright RE man. But I have just started topping up my 'G' gearbox with 140.......Can't hurt and might slow the leeks a bit. The Burman boxes in Matchless's use a semi fluid grease, which you can buy from Morris's or someone or google it. But it shouldn't be used in gearbox's that require oil, just to slow the leeks........Nor should EP oils be used in our boxes. Ron