Scrap yard relics...

Jack

Ah MSU 955. Done a few miles in that old girl myself. Very reliable at the time. nice old 680 leyland in her. used to belong to Steve Guest then Geoff Waite and then the reclamation yard where she lies now. Dont know the persons name.

Dave

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine working as an RSPB ranger for a season sent me these three photos of an old trailer out somewhere in northern Scotland.

Not quite a scrap yard relic, but it is certainly looking rather tired.

I don't even think it is military; perhaps someone more knowledgable than I might be able to identify it.

Unidentified Trailer 3.jpg

Unidentified Trailer 1.jpg

Unidentified Trailer 2.jpg

I don't believe it! A Radar Trailer!!

Gutted of all its equipment and looking like its been used in the past as a shepherd's hut!

Whereabouts is it?

I have often fancied a turntable trailer for behind my Bedford......... :D

Alec.

I don't believe it! A Radar Trailer!!

Gutted of all its equipment and looking like its been used in the past as a shepherd's hut!

Whereabouts is it?

I have often fancied a turntable trailer for behind my Bedford......... :D

Alec.

Now I'm embarrassed, I didn't even think of a radar trailer. As for its location my friend was based in Perth and originally said it was about two hours drive from him. I've asked him for any further details and we'll see what he says.

• 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine working as an RSPB ranger for a season sent me these three photos of an old trailer out somewhere in northern Scotland.

I don't even think it is military; perhaps someone more knowledgable than I might be able to identify it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66768[/ATTACH]

There is one these radar trailers in a scrap yard near bitterwell lake in bristol exactly the same........................

At a guess, so two men can carry a roll of barbed wire?

Dunno as has a lever that turns 90 degrees and one that lifts up. I thought it was a towing bar when I first saw it but then when we pulled it out saw the wooden handles.

My mate bought it as it was 'green'

So I guess it's technical name will be the 'thing' for a while

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go, Andy:

christmas-Banana-dump-465x2.jpg

Did you realise they came back to a dump on Teeside? See extract from article below. I have a 30t excavator on standby :D

Amazingly it looks like the only radiation found was from luminous dials in military vehicles :undecided:

THESE photographs show for the first time the full scale of the clean-up operation at a remote Pacific island which led to hundreds of tonnes of waste from British nuclear bomb tests being dumped on Teesside.

The military carried out the secret detonations of hydrogen bombs at Christmas Island in the 1950s.

Half a century later the UK reached agreement with the nation now known as the Republic of Kiribati to return and remove all waste abandoned after the tests.

Hundreds of tonnes of scrap metals, asbestos and radioactive sand were then collected and shipped back to Britain, where they were buried at the Port Clarence landfill site on the north bank of the Tees opposite Middlesbrough.

Local residents spoke of their shock when it was revealed that the material had been dumped at a site close to their homes, but the Environment Agency, the Ministry of Defence and landfill operators Augean stressed the waste poses no risk to the public.

They maintain that low levels of radioactivity detected in the load came from luminous dials found in abandoned military vehicles, and not from the bomb blasts.

Read More http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2011/06/24/tees-n-bomb-waste-link-christmas-island-clean-up-revealed-84229-28931954/#ixzz28MhFZtSX

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66768[/ATTACH]

Some more info on this trailer http://www.anti-aircraft.co.uk/radarNo3Mk2.html Did it ever get saved ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

From the second photo I deduced it was ex-British army ( oil can holder for Wesco can), then the rebuild plate on the dash for a Southern command workshop. Finally the engine rebuild plate for the REME Workshops at Ashford, Middlesex. A nice find, but I wonder why it has newspaper wrapped around the radiator stay bar?