Scrap yard relics...

Jack

This particular yard was there before WW2 and after the war scrapped many things, the original owners son used to tell us stories of dozens of jeeps each week bought as scrap and broken up for the iron, scrap tanks and truck and planes of all types which yielded all sorts of metals and made good money, busted up and gone forever without a thought for the preservation.... like the story of Guy Gibson’s dambuster Lanc, broken up by a yard somewhere without a thought... :(

Richard

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shane taylor
.... like the story of Guy Gibson’s dambuster Lanc, broken up by a yard somewhere without a thought... :(

Richard

Blimey, you are going to have to tell me more now 8)

It's true that much history was lost but we have to remember that a scrap dealer in the late 40's or early 50's would have no way of knowing which aircraft or truck or tank etc was going to be of historical importance in the future,it's the govenment of the time who should have been thinking ahead.

As collectors and/or historians we should be far more concerned with what is under threat now,such as WW2 buildings,aircraft crash sites and ship wrecks which get looted,war memorials in need of tlc etc.

Matt.

The RAF sold off everything that was not needed in the late '40's and 50's, regardless of its history or age or anything. It was sold to the highest bidder, amongst the things they sold were many historic aircraft (as we see them) spitfires and hurricanes stuck on poles to rot outside airbases were the few survivors, and among those that didn't survive the purge were the dambuster lancs, some had been re converted back to standard spec, and some kept as instructional airframes.

Its no different I suppose to us chucking away an old land rover, even if it had been used in the Falklands.

Richard

I remember in about 1993 seeing a lightweight Landy at a local dealers,it was complete but well used,still in it's desert paint with all markings,caked in oil and sand and it even had some names and dates on the back in pen!.

The dealer broke it for parts.

Matt.

It's true that much history was lost but we have to remember that a scrap dealer in the late 40's or early 50's would have no way of knowing which aircraft or truck or tank etc was going to be of historical importance in the future,it's the govenment of the time who should have been thinking ahead.

As collectors and/or historians we should be far more concerned with what is under threat now,such as WW2 buildings,aircraft crash sites and ship wrecks which get looted,war memorials in need of tlc etc.

Matt.

Sadly NO Gov't whatever their political flavour or colour has ANY interest in preserving things for the future!!! All any of them have is the short-sighted view of "how much is it worth now" and "How much of that can I get into my own bank account".

Crooks, liars and scum the lot of 'em!!

• 2 weeks later...

ArtistsRifles is right on that note. Sadly back in the late 1950's the U.'S. Air Force began chopping up and melting down all of the WWII airplanes they had in dry storage in Arizona with no thought of saving any for museum purpose. It was then the Confederate Air Force ( Commerative Air Force now for political correctness consideration) began buying up all of the WWII aircraft they could find, including a couple of Spitfires from England, a couple of the Spanish Heinkle 111's and Me109's and of course all of the American aircraft they could afford to keep them flying and taking this flying museum all around the country. In 1992 the U.S. Air Force asked the CAF if they had a North American B-25 they could have for the Lackland AFB museum in San Antonio, Texas for display as they had none left in their inventory to add to their WWII static display. No ,government entities don't plan ahead for old military equipment for museums, it is passed down to guys like us to keep the tradition and history alive for all to see.

• 1 month later...

How do you like this find?

IH_5_ton_001.jpg

IH_5_ton_007.jpg

IH_5_ton_003.jpg

http://ctm.clanservers.com/IH%205%20ton%20009.jpg

It's an International M426 5 ton tractor truck that is less than 10 miles from my place. Unfortunatly however, I have absolutely no room so I this truck is not destined to be mine but I do have someone that may get it.

I have also spotted a ww2 jeep (I have only seen it at a distance, I don't know if it a MB or GPW), several ben hur trailers (no time to stop and look but know where they are now), a directors trailer still being used by a farmer going down the road, and a civilian but war dated Catepillar D7. Eventually I will follow up on the ben hur trailers and the jeep.

On the subject of scrapyard vehicles, does anybody here live in the farnworth/bolton area, cos I've wondered what the vehicle at the back of the yard on Bent street, off bolton road is? I spotted it when I was parked there months ago.

Bit of a long shot I know, but I thought I'd ask

• 4 weeks later...

MY stepfather used to buy military surplus in the early 50's and ship it abroad, he told me that he was sorting through one lot he bought "50 crates/assorted surplus" when he opened up a wooden crate and there was brand new sten gun's in it!!.

He got on the phone to the MOD, or war department as it was known then and they came down at 200mph!!!.

Funny enough my father was down at the weekend. My father is one of those engineering and mechanical geniuses like most people on but skipped a generation with me :(

Dad used to convert all of ole war stock of vehicles for civvy use etc etc after the war and was telling that the yard was full of WW2 vehicles and that not only did they have British gear they also had a lot of US gear as well, mainly Jeeps and DUKW's where cut of for scrap or broken for spares. He said that took delivery of loads of crates and when they were opened, each one had Bren Gun Carriers inside, brand new, everything covered in grease proof paper and had everything except the gun....the cutting torch was taken to those as well.

They used to buy brand new Bedford QL engines......they bought them just for the packing crate as they would tip the QL engine out and use the crate to ship other engines around the world.

Those of you who live in Hampshire may know it as it is Morgan's Yard at Waltham Chase.

Cheers

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Top tip for this post is for people to state the location of their finds, as they could be posted by someone any where in the world so members would not have a clue whether it was a practical proposition to buy, if it was available.

Also I doubt anyone is going to post an item here first if they are seriously interested in buying it, so giving better details of the location would help someone else buy it

• 2 months later...

A good friend of mine has just sent me these. He said that he found during his dinner break, so now I am asking myself these questions;

1. Why is he walking around houses with camera at dinner time?

2. Is he in actual fact a danger to society?

But great pictures :mrgreen:

Mata2.jpg

Mata1.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

I used to work in a metal yard in Essex, there were 3 jeep grills used as duck boards over a particularly muddy bit, and a Jimmy or GMC engine in its crate in a 20ft container, along with loads of other junk nuts and bolts, bits of folding bike, spanners, gas masks etc up at the far end away from Joe Public. on the roof of the container was a bomb crane for a Jimmy or Chev, rare as hens teeth apparently...Its still there, and its for sale if you ask.

Richard

The bomb crane is still for sale if anyones interested, it has to go somewhere soon as theres no room for it and it will just end up in a field....

I can't help it Jack - I just have a serious rust habit ! I need some rehab, maybe then I will yearn after a shiny new BMW not decrepit ex army 4x4s ?

This one I think is an AEC Matador ? Tho there is another AEC model that looks quite simular IIRC. The Radiator looks to far forward to me, so either it is something else or has been modded - bigger engine to go with the huge crane ?

It looks a little beyond my restorative powers - or patience. But I do quite fancy a Matador. Are parts still relatively avaiable ? IE new brake cyliners or seals etc ?

Cheers

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
Guest qtronics

Well what can I say, there are loads or strange little places over here with old military things in. you can pretty much guarantee that almost every village you go to has a old farm barn that has something interesting in around here. It’s just a case of finding it.

The photos above (see http://www.qtronics.net/Baja_Shop/WWII_Trucks_1.html for more) are from a place just outside Boulogne-sur-Mer, it’s a strange little place that always seems to be closed, but there is a notice board with phone number etc, I have never phoned them so don’t know how good their English is etc.

I’m still in the research stage of looking for one to buy, although I think I might have to go for a reo I’m sorry to say, as I like the look of the mechanics / engine (plus I like the idea of a multifuel). For this I will probably go to Germany to buy, as there is a few big yards there that have lots of trucks, it’s like a dream.

Cheers.

Al.

The Simca looks cool. What is it about the three colour camo on French MVs? I think I can put something similar on my Iltis. Might do even if I'm not supposed to because i like it. There aren't enough of this type of motor on the UK scene. So, there you go Jack. I've just spent your money for you. Alex - have you seen the MV dealer just outside Le Touquet? He has some good motors. He had plenty of Iltis and Renault trucks when I last passed by in 2004.