Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dutch army Land Rover 109 ambulances in yard at van Dam, Zeist the Netherlands

21 November 2000

picture © D.J. Polak

Thank you for posting these of photographs of vehicles at van Dam. I've heard many stories about the amount of stuff at this yard but have never got around to visiting it. Do you have any pictures of the AEC Militants that were/still are at this place ? Thanks.

Thank you for posting these of photographs of vehicles at van Dam. I've heard many stories about the amount of stuff at this yard but have never got around to visiting it. Do you have any pictures of the AEC Militants that were/still are at this place ? Thanks.

I'm glad you like my pictures!

The yard was a special place, located adjacent to a country road lined with trees.

I remember doing a few test drives there.

Jan and Dirk who worked there were quite nice and good to deal with.

Every time I went there I had the expectation to find something new and wonderful. And they did frequently have interesting vehicles.

Looking back on it it was a treasure trove with many rather old vehicles just standing there and slowly rusting away.

I was (and actually still am) looking for a military Land Rover 110 Station Wagon. Once and only once did they have one but they thought something was seriously wrong with it and recommended against buying.

Later on somebody else had bought and it turned out to be in good order. That buyer apparently civilianised it :cry:

stationwagon01.jpg

stationwagon02.jpg

both pictures © D.J. Polak

Now I know that military Station Wagons and especially left hand drive ones are as rare as hen's teeth.

I never ever found another one for sale.

Van Dam moved from the old yard in Zeist to Rhenen. Not as scenic but more modern.

More pictures to come of their old yard and some of their new yard too!

I could give them a call for you to ask about the AEC Militants if you want.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

I could give them a call for you to ask about the AEC Militants if you want.

Daniel

Daniel that's a very kind offer. I'm not in need of any Militant parts at the moment, but I would have been interested to see a few photographs of what was there. One of the MV magazines recently had a small feature about AEC Militants in the Van Dam yard. These lorries looked very rotten having been standing in the open for many years. Oh well.

Daniel that's a very kind offer. I'm not in need of any Militant parts at the moment, but I would have been interested to see a few photographs of what was there. One of the MV magazines recently had a small feature about AEC Militants in the Van Dam yard. These lorries looked very rotten having been standing in the open for many years. Oh well.

Were they all left hookers???? I assume so as they would likely be ex BAOR....

I've called them for you, they told me the Militants all went (don't know where) a long time ago.

Dcp01737Dcp01737.sized.jpg

© D.J. Polak

DAF YA 126 ambulance at van Dam's old yard in Zeist

picture_2170.sized.jpg

© D.J. Polak

Land Rover Lightweights and another older vehicle at van Dam's current yard in Rhenen.

If you and/or HMVF members are interested I have more pictures taken at van Dam.

I may even make a trip over there soon.

Daniel

Dcp01737Dcp01737.sized.jpg

© D.J. Polak

DAF YA 126 ambulance at van Dam's old yard in Zeist

picture_2170.sized.jpg

© D.J. Polak

Land Rover Lightweights and another older vehicle at van Dam's current yard in Rhenen.

If you and/or HMVF members are interested I have more pictures taken at van Dam.

I may even make a trip over there soon.

Daniel

The older vehicle would be interesting Daniel -from what I can see it's a Dodge WC64 ambulance

The pioneer rack on the guard of the YA ambulance would be even more interesting to my brother - he's been trying to get hold of one for his YA truck for a while now !

Hi all,

i keep meaning to take these pictures and have finally done so....

the militant (red one )has been here for at least a couple of years and along with the jeeps next to it has not moved.

The shots of the (Karrier) truck, now this vehicle to my knowledge has not left the field but has been moved around it.It was once complete with canvas but this has since been removed befor finally rotting away.

Enjoy

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

Are they up for disposal Ashley - or are they still prized possessions?? :):)

Which reminds me - heading home from Exeter last Sat I saw what looked like A Leyland Martian Wrecker off to the side of the motorway - I think between Juncs 24 and 23 of the M5 North bound. There was a fenced off vehicle yard/compound behind it and both were up the top of a small hill. Looked to have been there for quite a while!!

Edited by ArtistsRifles

I can remember when the Karrier was first restored must have been 25 + years ago it was a superb truck.

I did drive up one day in the jeep and as he was by the fence line i stopped and said hello but he just turned and walked away :rolleyes: must of been something i said :(

This is the second militant that has been on site in the last ten years the last one sat in the field for 6 yrs then suddenly was replaced with the one in the picture.

Neil i don't think any thing is for sale pity.

Ashley

Are they up for disposal Ashley - or are they still prized possessions?? :):)

Which reminds me - heading home from Exeter last Sat I saw what looked like A Leyland Martian Wrecker off to the side of the motorway - I think between Juncs 24 and 23 of the M5 North bound. There was a fenced off vehicle yard/compound behind it and both were up the top of a small hill. Looked to have been there for quite a while!!

This Martian, and it's location, was referred to sometime ago on the Martian thread. 'Burnt Cab Bob', who owns a Martian recovery himself, tells me the owner will sell for £3,000. I suspect it could actually be bought for a lot less. It's been there years and is now in quite poor condition. :-(

Yes i know that Martian very well. I remember it working as a recovery truck. It is in a field just alongside their yard North of Taunton. You get the impression that when it no longer worked they just pushed it through the gate and it rolled down into the field to come to a standstill. Sad, but thats life really. Dont try and go into the yard without alsation repellant.

If they are asking £3,000 for that, just ask if they have anything else that just might be hidden in their yard that might be of interest to an early truck collector and what sort of price it might be going for (if it were indeed for sale of course or if in fact it is still there).

Thanks

Tim (too)

Hi all,

i keep meaning to take these pictures and have finally done so....

the militant (red one )has been here for at least a couple of years.

Enjoy

Thanks for posting Ashley. The Militant looks like a late, 1960 onwards, LWB that has had a much later, possibly ex Bedford 4 X 4, dropside body mounted on it in place of it's original body.

DSCF0055.jpg

Were they all left hookers???? I assume so as they would likely be ex BAOR....

Was a Militant Mk 1 left hooker produced ? Because I've never seen, or heard, of one it certainly doesn't mean there weren't any but, that, the BAOR had some is news to me. ArtistsRifles, do you have any more info on this please ? Cheers.