Scrap yard relics...

Jack

The K6 and C15a are not more than 10 minutes away from where I live. I also go there often enough to buy iron profiles...angles, box etc...! It is a pity that they are left to rot there after being salvaged from another place a few years ago. The owners are not into old trucks....much more into dragsters!!!

The old Tilly is of a good friend of mine Clive Micallef and it is one from his fleet of army vehicles he has all nicely restored!

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the best place please shift if needed.

Its not complete just a portion of what I believe is a super cannon of some kind perhaps a "rail gun" but could be mistaken. From the Life magazines site.

"Ruins of a bomb-damaged Krupp gun factory after an Allied air attack on this devastated city in the Ruhr Valley. Location: Essen, Germany Date taken: July 1945 Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White"

KruppgunfactoryEssen.jpg

found this so far a artist concept of what the rail gun looked like ? will keep looking for more information like name and spec's

That's a railway gun.

A railgun is a hypermodern weapon which blasts a minute projectile at enourmous speeds. Its kinetic energy would blas apart a tank.

I do like those big railway guns, no9t very usefull though, only for blasting big fortresses like Sevastopol.

The Germans wanted/build 4 fixed guns in the French cliffs to shell London. They got bombarded to ^$#&@$

At the end of the 1970`s, as a spotty faced student, I was asked whether for a 100 Pounds, I would ferry a Unimog 404 from a field in Kent to South Wales. For a student, that was a no-brainer, and I was given a lift to Kent to be confronted by a field of Unimogs (apparently, the dealer had purchased the whole batch from the Bundeswehr)...

Fast-forward 35 years......I had long forgotten about the location and names, but then came accross a fellow Unimog fan in the West Midlands who showed me pics of the unsold Mogs which were still at the same place - trees growing through the engine compartment etc......

Kent Unimogs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<Snipped>

Also on the same set is this apparently roadworthy Austin K2 ambulance.

Hmm - wonder if the K2 is up for sale - It ought to be saved before it deteriorates much further...

and this is in a yard of a mate the trailers are at auldwalk steel works the dodge is a w63 the engine is shot head has been off for about ten years and now is lost

Dodge looks to be restorable though????

When I was a wee nipper. My Mother and Step father of the time used to drink in the New Inn in Hadlow Down, Gerald who owned the place (now passed on) used to have loads and loads of trucks and ex military vehicles behind the pub just rotting into the floor! I used to play in and around them.... long gone now..

wonder where too?