Scrap yard relics...

Jack

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was at the Rocket Site... I don't know where it is now.

The only one I ever saw (early 90's, nicely restored) was in the posession of John Firth who was involved in the Norfolk PW group in late 80's/early 90's - if pic was taken late 80's, this could be it. He moved to Scoland so might be there? :dunno:

My Matador had a reinforced front axle as fitted to these armoured units, centre section was cast with bolted outer sections.

My wife went to see a guy with a Mobile Oxygen plant O854 and he is in the Melton Mowbray area, but she wasn't sure exactly where she had been taken, ( only a feww weeks ago.

Im sure that should form part of a joke...

" My wife went to see a bloke with a M.O. Plant O854, she wasnt sure where she had been taken...etc, etc.."

The SPTA DTE opens Imber village (GHOST VILLAGE) twice a year, Easter and Christmas. Although there is not much left of the old village, just a few buildings remain; 12th century church, manor house and the old Bell pub still stands as a reminder of the days gone by. The wrecks can be found by driving through the village and up the main carriageway towards Warminster. All the wrecks can be seen to the left and right of the carriageway, some being closer than others. Binoculars will be needed for some of the tanks and if you are toying with photos then a 300mm lens may be needed. Chieftain 11FD68 stands right next to the road. At no point must you leave the road. Its very tempting just to pop over for a closer look but trust me, I have been out on the Impact zone with the MOD and you will not believe the sort of ammo that is laying out there.

Here is a link if you wish to find out a bit more about Imber village. It has a bitter sweet history full of intrigue. There is also a map showing the best way of finding the Ghost village.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/imber/imber.htm

Tony

The village will be open till the 01-01-08 then it will be closed again. As for the rest of the year I will let you know as soon as I find out. Just thinking out loud, though we do the Plain invasion maybe some of you would like to come over for a one day drive out to Imber in the new year. Like I say, when I get some dates I will post.

Tony

maybe some of you would like to come over for a one day drive out to Imber in the new year. Like I say, when I get some dates I will post.

Tony

Hi Tony,

certainly sound like a good possibility :tup: keep us in touch with a possible date.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...