Scrap yard relics...

Jack

The scrap yard in the photos is Pounds yard at Portsmouth. I think the yard is now cleared, but I haven't been there for some years. The greyhound stadium and fly-over bridge give it away.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad has discovered this Matador near where he lives in Kent. He has found the owner who may be intersted in selling it. It appears to have the original cab and the AEC 7.7 engine is still fitted.

I said it would only be worth scrap value, as the cab would require re-timbering, a body would need fabricating along with new tyres and a complete restoration. Having said that, they are a very simple and robust and capable truck. Anybody interested?

Ahh..this one is in my neck of the woods. The owner used it for winching, been passing by it for years, and it has hardly moved.

If thats down your neck of the woods, then you have probaly seen the yeard full of old busses near Rye. Thats my dads place.

I used to own two Matador wreckers, and i can testify to there winching capabilities, having rescued a few vehicles at shows. When Mike used it to tow something at a show one day, he told me that the clutch had been slipping. I replied that it could not have been, as it was new, and someone had reported that the front wheels had left the ground while he was towing! Anybody who has seen any pics of Matadors hauling timber would have seen many shots where the front axle lifted way off the ground.

If thats down your neck of the woods, then you have probaly seen the yeard full of old busses near Rye. Thats my dads place.

Vince,

I do know that place, it is close to where I work..and I now realise that I met you once at a bus garage in Mitcham, came up to get a Matador air compressor. Small world!

I used to own two Matador wreckers, and i can testify to there winching capabilities, having rescued a few vehicles at shows. When Mike used it to tow something at a show one day, he told me that the clutch had been slipping. I replied that it could not have been, as it was new, and someone had reported that the front wheels had left the ground while he was towing!

It was a full-size artic unit with a ploughing engine on board bogged down to its axles. We were going to winch it out but I thought I'd just give it a tug 1st and it more or less pulled straight out. Happy days :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rick,

A bit of delving in my library and I find it is original and not a modified command car.

Truck, 3/4 ton, 4x4, Aircraft Starting, Volvo TL11 P2104

fitted with Penta equipment for starting jet aircraft engines.

Chassis and front end sheet metal same as TP21 Command Car.

Used bt Sweedish Air Force

• 3 weeks later...

Spent some time today wandering around a yard full of old dinosaur skeletons, several Scammells, a GMC ex Norway, remains of a Ward lafrance M1A1, an AWD (Commer Superpoise) 6 wheel snowblower truck, even a decrepit Chev C15A with no gearbox.

I thought, what a disgace letting all these things go to rack and ruin, then I wandered back to the workshop and put the kettle on..........

Spent some time today wandering around a yard full of old dinosaur skeletons, several Scammells, a GMC ex Norway, remains of a Ward lafrance M1A1, an AWD (Commer Superpoise) 6 wheel snowblower truck, even a decrepit Chev C15A with no gearbox.

I thought, what a disgace letting all these things go to rack and ruin, then I wandered back to the workshop and put the kettle on..........

Well enjoy your tea and get on with it.... ;-)