Scrap yard relics...

Jack

Guest qtronics

Snapper, I must admit I have missed that one, but now you mention it I will look out for it. You don’t happen to know the address do you :-D

Just found this on ebay.fr

link

very nice

Al.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory it is on the road between Montreuil and Le Touquet it wpuld be on your right as you drive towards Montreuil. It wasn't a massive yard and isn't on the road that goes right past Etaples war cemetery (hope you've been there) but isn't so far away. I can remember there was a Leclerc very close by.

Well what can I say, there are loads or strange little places over here with old military things in. you can pretty much guarantee that almost every village you go to has a old farm barn that has something interesting in around here. It’s just a case of finding it.

The photos above (see http://www.qtronics.net/Baja_Shop/WWII_Trucks_1.html for more) are from a place just outside Boulogne-sur-Mer, it’s a strange little place that always seems to be closed, but there is a notice board with phone number etc, I have never phoned them so don’t know how good their English is etc.

I’m still in the research stage of looking for one to buy, although I think I might have to go for a reo I’m sorry to say, as I like the look of the mechanics / engine (plus I like the idea of a multifuel). For this I will probably go to Germany to buy, as there is a few big yards there that have lots of trucks, it’s like a dream.

Cheers.

Al.

Good man a Reo at last a friend :-D

Guest qtronics

Hi Mark,

Indeed a Reo, just trying to budget for it now. What sort of MPG do you get from yours? And have you every tried it on SVO?

Cheers.

Al.

• 1 month later...

Near Hitchin in Herts there's a yard called rush green motors. A few years ago I went round there looking for some bits, from memory I saw the following in various states of repair.

Diamond T closed cab - complete

Scammell SV2S - Complete

AEC Mattador - Complete

Thornycroft Antar - Complete x 2

Queen mary trailers 14.00x20 wheel type x 4 stacked

various Chevys - bits only

Scammell R100 - for parts only

Scammell Tank transporter tractor unit - parts only

Morris Mk1 armoured car - restorable - but he wants too much for it.

Crossley 4x2 tractorunit - chassis and engine

AEC coles Crane - complete

Bedford QL - complete

Various Land rovers, bedfords (modern) and trailers.

There is also a rare 100tonne scammell.

I'll have to check my photos of the day to see if I've missed any out.

now thats a truck!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-Dis that next on the list!! :evil: :evil:

Wouldn't it be nice if it were....... :-) :-) :-) Deffo curious as to what price they are asking for it!!!

Somehow though I suspect it definitely will NOT fit through the Fort gates - unless we let Lee loose on them!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I found this excellent site, stuffed full of Armour and Trucks.

It is Slab Common in Bordon Hampshire.

I have been told the land is open to the public.

There are about 40 Armoured vehicles on site. used for recovery training.

When i had a look around vehicles were,

FV432 ,CVRT Striker & Spartan, Cheiftain, Saxon, ARRV, about every type of vehicle in the british army.Well worth a look.

Picture is from Website link i found of the site..........

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks like a few 4x4 clubs use that, maybe someone with links there could arrange a "Run what ya brung day" to put their pride and joys throgh what they were designed for, rather than sitting pretty in a workshop!! Or are you all scared of MUD! :-D :-D

Hello,

When i visited the site "Tank Graveyard" a bike scrambel club had booked the common for a Sunday bike-scramble fest sort of thing.I had to wait for them to go home before i could look at all the armour.

The multimap refrence is here..

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?client=public&X=478000&Y=135000&width=70 0&height=400&gride=478000&gridn=135000&srec=0&coor dsys=gb&db=&pc=&zm=0&scale=5000&up.x=287&up.y=7

Most of the Tanks are in big trenches filled with water so they can train recovery crews.

There are about 5 Cheiftain ARRVs in complete condition,about 5 cheiftains"one has armour penetration to turret, possibly by APDS shell.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Isn't anyone curious as to what is in those boxes stacked in the back under the remains of the roof, looks like primary standard packaging military boxes to me

Curiiosity satisfied easily. They are brand new pistons in cosmo. Full boxes of 12. I opened one to look. I even have the label off the individual boxes in front of me as I type.!

LV7/AN K3 161 C

PISTON CPTE

+1/32 O/S

QTY 1

I understand all of the above except the actual code - so are they for Dodges or what?