Triumph 3HW Front Wheel Alignment

Andy3HW

Hi all,

This will be undoubtedly the first of many questions that I will be posting whilst attempting to restore my 1944 3HW.

To begin; the front wheel spindle is missing some parts namely the bearing dust caps, the adjuster nuts and the correct spindle nuts. Even with these in place I cannot see how the wheel will set up centrally within the forks. With the Torque Link in place the whole wheel sits over to the right hand side up almost up against the inside of the forks and also the wheel spindle seems to be too short. I would appreciate if anyone can post some images of the set up and supply a dimension for the length of the spindle.

And as for spare parts, some names of suppliers you have used would also be very useful.

Many thanks

Andy

Thanks Ron, that would be very much appreciated. On another subject what would that colour be called that your bike is painted in. I am torn between painting it a desert colour seeing as it has the air filter box on the tank or in khaki/green.

Thanks, Andy

Andy. Here is a scan from a parts list showing the order of parts. Also a couple of not very helpful shots of my wheel. Best I can measure the spindle through the spokes, is 6"-6.5".

I bought the 'German' desert paint from 'Jeep Parts UK' as I didn't like the primrose yellow that was offered as 'British desert' colour. It's a stone colour! Ron

Scan-150526-0001.jpg

3HW 195.jpg

3HW 197.jpg

collection 040.jpg

PS. I suggest you obtain all the correct parts and then fit the wheel to the forks. If as you say the rim is too far over one way. You will need to have the offset adjusted. If the spoke nipples are seized? You might be able to get them to move with heat from a blow lamp. Otherwise you will probably have to get it re-spoked. The adjustment is best done in the forks to get it central. Ron

Hi Ron, I think I can see one problem I have from those images you have sent. To begin with it appears that my wheel is fitted with the incorrect 'brake anchor plate' (item 38). The one I have fitted sits inside of the rim (flush) of the hub assembly which brings the wheel too close to the inside of fork to the extent that the wheel almost rubs on the inside of the forks. Whereas the one fitted to your wheel appears to fit on the outside of the rim on the hub assembly bringing the wheel more central between the forks. My bike is not fitted a speedo so I am not sure thats why I have a different 'brake anchor plate' fitted but that still will not account for why the wheel is so far over. And it seems you maybe correct about the offset as my wheel rim does not appear to be centred over hub - it could probably move over about 1/4inch.

From the diagram I am missing the dust caps (Item 30 - cannot seem to locate them anywhere) and the brake shoes. Plus items 34, which I suppose I can use 7/16 half nuts. I have seen a 'brake anchor plate' similar to the one you have fitted on e-bay for £106!!.

Thanks for taking the time to post the images for me.

Andy