WD/Co Headlight Cover

gary0003

My WD/CO has its original headlight shroud fitted - is it illegal to ride like this on the road please?

Hi Gary,

When I used to ride a BSA M20, the Lucas blackout cover I had was a replacement for the normal rim and glass, so not practical on a journey if the weather turned bad and needed lights, also if held up and had to do the journey in lighting up time. Good for display though, just a nuisance swapping over.

regards, Richard

Before the MOT rules changed to give us MOT exception for our pre 60 vehicles, you could obtain a 'DAYLIGHT' MOT for a vehicle with no lights. (Like a trials bike for instance). So the same rules must apply. Lots of WD bikes are fitted with BO masks, including some of mine.......As long as you don't get caught riding your bike when lighting up is required, I can't see a problem. Ron

Before the MOT rules changed to give us MOT exception for our pre 60 vehicles, you could obtain a 'DAYLIGHT' MOT for a vehicle with no lights. (Like a trials bike for instance). So the same rules must apply. Lots of WD bikes are fitted with BO masks, including some of mine.......As long as you don't get caught riding your bike when lighting up is required, I can't see a problem. Ron

Agreed Ron, but I think a rule / law came out that lights on all vehicles to be used in poor visibility, which can mean rain. My feeling was always self preservation and if necessary would have the lights on to be seen. Authenticity is OK on a show site but on the road its a different matter. Having ridden on some long runs (no trailers here), I had to be prepared for any eventuality, so BO mask stayed on the shelf! :)

Richard

Yes I agree with both Richard and Tony...... Lighting up time means,... "when ever lights are required by law". So even in daytime if visibility is poor. ( Although it doesn't seem to apply to quite a lot of drivers on motorways it seems). But by the same token, if your vehicle has old fashioned carbide lamps and the law says they must work! I don't think there can be any degree of illumination requirement. I also agree that from a safety point of view it must be better to have huge bright lights, but there is also an allowance for vehicles to perform the way they were built......Like the little slit lamps on Jeeps for instance.

I try not to ride any of my bikes after lighting up time whether I have a BO mask or not, as the lights are never as good as modern lights. Ron

Edited by Ron

I try not to ride any of my bikes after lighting up time whether I have a BO mask or not, as the lights are never as good as modern lights.

Hi Ron,

Something I tried not to do as well, but on one memorable occasion coming back from the 1990 Guernsey Liberation Tour, the ferry was late in to Poole (fouled prop apparently) and I was riding back to Guildford for my overnight stop. It was a race against time to get there, but darkness fell before I reached Petersfield and at one point I rode up someone's drive, mistaking it for a road. Would dread to think what it was like with blackout lights during the war.

All good fun :D

cheers Richard

Yep! Me and a friend left Goodwood Revival on our bikes to go to a pub for an evening meal. The pub was about 10 miles away and we arrived via the main A27. Our common sense dictated that we shouldn't return by that main road after dark, so the landlord gave us directions by means of country lanes......One of the most horrifying rides of my life. Followed closely by driving my Tilly with its Butler blackouts, back to Bournemouth from Southampton Studio's at night on the main A31. Ron

Enjoying reading all the stories of surviving driving with poor lights....when I bought my willy jeep near Bournemouth I decided to drive it home to north yorkshire..I had planned a stop in Guildford but as its longest run had been 10 miles or so my demands and expectations were too high...we ended up arriving in Guildford late and my jeeps 6v bulbs were so poor I fixed torches both front and rear..the jeep with its dark paint and small rear lights was hardly visible..the torches allowed me to get to my first base but a journey that brings me out in a cold sweat...

I use a tail board if travelling late...I live near the country side and try and avoid riding a bike at night ...potholes f which there are many being the main concern

Jenkinov

Jenk in a trip from Bournemouth (where I live) To Herriot country........What the Hell where you doing in Guildford man?

Ha Ha only joking!

I went to Bedale to pick up a car last year. If I never see that bloody M1 again, I wont miss it! Once there though, I found Northallerton to be quite quaint and picturesque .

Ron