WW2 British 1 ton 2 WHLD N#5 MK1 GS Trailer X5853823

Just received the Key Card courtesy of Wally, mine is on the top line 97 ZB 75

I was interested in the CAT.REF. top right hand corner which says Dashwood, is this the maker of these trailers ?

From Grace's Guide To British Industrial History (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1939_Suppliers_to_the_Aircraft_Industry#D) :-

Dashwood Engineering Ltd., 27 Grosvenor Place, London, S.W.1, supplies machined parts and components for aircraft. Among such parts are fork-ends and tubular struts, undercarriage details and other parts which call for precision in manufacture. Mechanically pressed parts in high-tensile steel, electric and atomic welding, sheet metal work and so forth are other specialities of the company.

From Grace's Guide To British Industrial History (http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1939_Suppliers_to_the_Aircraft_Industry#D) :-

Dashwood Engineering Ltd., 27 Grosvenor Place, London, S.W.1, supplies machined parts and components for aircraft. Among such parts are fork-ends and tubular struts, undercarriage details and other parts which call for precision in manufacture. Mechanically pressed parts in high-tensile steel, electric and atomic welding, sheet metal work and so forth are other specialities of the company.

I wonder if that's the same 'Dashwood' as the people that made my trailer 72 years ago Guy ?

I wonder if that's the same 'Dashwood' as the people that made my trailer 72 years ago Guy ?

As the Grace's Guide for Dashwood is dated 1939 and looking at the range of products that they were making then, it is likely to be the same Dashwood making trailers in 1944. Also, I doubt that there would be 2 engineering companies called Dashwood.

As the Grace's Guide for Dashwood is dated 1939 and looking at the range of products that they were making then, it is likely to be the same Dashwood making trailers in 1944. Also, I doubt that there would be 2 engineering companies called Dashwood.

Oh yes I didn't see the 1939 date, what threw me was the Atomic welding ?

Here are some photos as promised of the chassis shot blasted & in etch primer, the 'upright' & wheels arch brackets have been repaired & shot blasted/painted & ready to fit.

The angle iron has a makers name cast into it which looks like ? CKN CWNBRAN ? properly a long gone Welsh foundry ?

DSC05209.jpg

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05211.jpg

DSC05212.jpg

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05218.jpg

GKN = Guest Keen and Nettlefold

GKN (Cwmbran) was a foundry sited, strangely enough, in Cwmbran. It started off as a steelworks with rolling mills and a foundry supplying mainly the railway industry. In 1951 the rolling mills transferred to Cardiff and the foundry was modernised to be an automotive engine block and cylinder head foundry. Closed in the 80's.

GKN = Guest Keen and Nettlefold

GKN (Cwmbran) was a foundry sited, strangely enough, in Cwmbran. It started off as a steelworks with rolling mills and a foundry supplying mainly the railway industry. In 1951 the rolling mills transferred to Cardiff and the foundry was modernised to be an automotive engine block and cylinder head foundry. Closed in the 80's.

Thanks Simon, interesting stuff.

Tow hitch repair next as this trailer came with a fabricated drop plate & hitch to fit a tractor.

I was very lucky a couple of years back to find a 20cwt water trailer with a strange hitch on it but had no idea what it was off so relegated the hitch to the scrap pile.

It wasn't until Guy & myself got a couple of these trailers out of a scrap yard that I realised the hitch was from a 20cwt GS trailer & Guys needed an eye at that time for his restoration.

018.JPG

019.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

The only way Guy could get the top eye out for his trailer was to cut the top off & the only way I am able to get the bottom eye out is to completely remove the top webb, a 1mm groove cut down the centre then heat & a big press should do the rest ?

I then intend to get my mate Scott to machine up a top tube & a large rear nut, then get all the new webbs laser cut & welded back together.

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05220.jpg

DSC05221.jpg

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05223.jpg

DSC05225.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

• 9 months later...

So 20cwt GS trailer #2 is now in colour & I've started fitting some of the iron work back on.

This one is interesting as it has a front & rear tail gate like the modified post-war 10cwt Mortar / ammunition trailer so perhaps they did the same with some of the 20cwt trailers ?

There was very little wood left but just enough to work out the size of the planks for the floor & sides.

DSC07365.jpg

DSC07366.jpg

DSC07367.jpg

DSC07368.jpg

DSC07369.jpg

DSC07370.jpg

DSC07371.jpg

• 2 years later...