optima red tops

oh wow, what a battery

hooked up 2x720 crank, 50ah red tops to my Fox which hasn't run in 6 years. Fired up second time of asking and then, when we tried to use the starter motor to turn over the fluid flywheeel to access the plug for a level check, the engine started as soon as you touched the button :D

what a set of batteries. I am converted!

:thumbsup:

They do like to be used though, just like other batteries. I've lost several red and yellows recently due to lack of use - the sulphate eventually gets them.

I'm very disappointed with these so-called intelligent chargers - they aren't much brighter than me…...

A very wise old chap advised me to connect up a low wattage light bulb to give them something to do whilst waiting - I'm going to rig up a mutli bulb board in the battery charging bay to try this soon.

Edited by N.O.S.

:thumbsup:

They do like to be used though, just like other batteries. I've lost several red and yellows recently due to lack of use - the sulphate eventually gets them.

I'm very disappointed with these so-called intelligent chargers - they aren't much brighter than me…...

A very wise old chap advised me to connect up a low wattage light bulb to give them something to do whilst waiting - I'm going to rig up a mutli bulb board in the battery charging bay to try this soon.

When you say "they do like to be used" what sort of time scale are you talking about ?

We've left them unused on big 10 -12 litre engines (24V systems) for maybe 3 - 4 months, with maybe only 1 - 4 hours working in between, and they are fine (conventional batteries did not last so long without requiring a top-up charge). But after several years of this they do eventually lose their edge. Others I've had on regular (say 40% of time) trickle charge for 6 - 12 months or more seem to eventually lose their ability to retain charge, so I guess they do eventually sulphate up.

One red top which died I let the dealer have back to look at, and when he did an autopsy it was well sulphated. He advised not storing on a cold concrete floor even when charging, and giving then some work to do to regularly in order to clean the plates of sulphate.

Make no mistake this is battery abuse of the highest order - I'm merely suggesting that Optimas are liable to eventually succumb just like any other battery if abused for too long. Having said that I believe I would be replacing traditional batteries more frequently under the same conditions.

The benefit of Optima seems to be a slightly faster flow of energy, resulting in higher cranking speed - meaning an engine starts quicker and the battery uses much less energy than if cranking for longer periods. Meaning also that you don't need so many ampere hours capacity. Plus you can carry a coupe of red tops for considerable distance with ease compared to the larger conventional batteries they are capable of replacing.

Typical example: replacing two heavy conventional quality batteries with two red tops (you could fit 6 red tops in the same space) on an elderly 12 litre Cummins 220NH and the engine starts quicker - cranking time being reduced by around 1/3 to 1/2 depending on ambient temperature.

Conventional batteries work just fine - so there has to be a reason to justify the extra cost of Optimas. In applications where you need to remove batteries regularly or start reluctant / infrequently used engines they are simply brilliant.

With frequent removal / refitting using clamp type terminals the posts suffered wear - a few even coming loose, so we converted to these terminals for heavy equipment:

Batt term qr.jpg

Batt term nut.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

What is special about the Odyssey batteries? Not heard of them before. They look to be conventional construction, but probably super-high quality hence dependability and extra cost.

More reliable, less prone to discharge when idle' longer static reserve of power. Over the last couple of years the new buses supplied to the company I work for had Optima. Problem has been when the buses is 'Idiling' on the stand, engine off but still needing lights inside and out the drain seems to cause the Optima to lose power quickly activating the power save and cutting all power. Also they don't seem that keen on really deep discharge. I must say using the winch with a dead engine, not the best practice I know, has had no noticiable effect on the Odyssey.