1940's and 50's US army trucks

draganm

Probably think you were mad.................?that's 1960 -70's or thereabouts

Wrong truck Brooky, there is WWII Reo 7.5 ton 6x6 tractor unit listed and pictured on the on the ad as well as the deuce and a half.

• 3 weeks later...
not associated with this seller, looks to be about an hour away from me. Not familiar with the value of any of this stuff either, but there's some pretty early 1940's and prior trucks and engines.

What do you think my wife would say if I pulled up in a 1944 REO 6x6 ?

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4914508104.html

I think she would congratulate you for picking out the best of the bunch.

It looks like the aircraft wrecker with just the fifth wheel left on it though, might be the fuel tanker prime mover.

Gordon

A 1944 REO? Looks more like a Kenworth or Mack...

never heard of 40's REO trucks...

Reo, Biederman and Federal all built these trucks for the USAAF, they were virtually identical so this could well be a Reo.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes reo also made firetrucks in the 30's...

and the speedwagon for instance...

but i have never heard of a truck built under their own name and used in ww2?

but i'd love to be convinced of the contrary of course

As I said, I drove one once, Reo on steering wheel centre, dashboard plate and chassis plate, they were the US-6 type. A bit like Fords building Willys jeeps, only this was Reo building a Studebaker designed truck.

Take a look at this link;

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=79387&start=0

Yes reo also made firetrucks in the 30's...

and the speedwagon for instance...

but i have never heard of a truck built under their own name and used in ww2?

but i'd love to be convinced of the contrary ofcourse 😊

Take a look at http://www.reoclub.org, for the history of all REO vehicles. They built military trucks from 1941 to 1946 when civilian truck production resumed.

• 4 months later...
….What do you think my wife would say if I pulled up in a 1944 REO 6x6 ? ….l

An interesting question. Only one way to find out for sure. Today was the day. I think I got away with it. :banana:

Southampton.jpg

Loading.jpg

Thanks for posting the link draganm!

Edited by N.O.S.

An interesting question. Only one way to find out for sure. Today was the day. I think I got away with it. :banana:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109070[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109071[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting the link draganm!

Now that is one bonnie looking truck

is there any chance you can ever put the bit that's missing on the back back on

You mean the correct pattern 5th wheel, the run-up ramps and the rear lighting plate? :cool2:

I reckon so :thumbsup: (as suggested earlier it appears to be a F1 tractor, not a C2 wrecker).

That looks great. Where did you find that?

On the link in the opening post Tim!

Nobody seemed interested in saving her. I initially took the sensible approach and took no action - some time later the advert disappeared but after a long search I found the Reo in a re-listed advert. With help from others I lost the plot completely, lowered my guard, and after a long journey here she is.

Fortunately for me she isn't too too bad and seems to be a genuine truck if a little tired. It should be feasible to carry out a rolling restoration.

very nice truck

interesting loading method. Curious, why not just drive it onto the trailer?

Had to treat her as a non-runner for shipping purposes. Adds to cost but a lot cheaper than missing the ferry due to not starting when needed for loading.

It's all your fault!!! But thanks anyway :-D

Sorry. I couldn't get the Craiglsist link to work and thought it was another one. Well done anyway. Pleased that it has gone to a good home.

Thanks Tim. It seemed appropriate to the original thread to reveal what happened to the truck.

The Denver area Craiglist carried an advert (originally posted here by draganm) for a collection of 40s and 50s trucks. I asked a friend over in USA on a visit some time later to look it up but the advert had already timed out. Some while later I did a search (just out of interest you understand…..) and eventually found it re-listed. With some more help, a 1,200 mile haul to Galveston and a ferry ride later, here she is.

Unusually (in fact I've not come across this before), the data plate is stamped with the allocated W registration number for the truck, also the USAAF contract number. It also confirms it as a truck-tractor. Does anyone else have a U.S. data plate showing the registration number?

Reo.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

....... With help from others I lost the plot completely, lowered my guard, and ... here she is.

Oh I think you are being a mite hard on yourself there, well done. ;) A full set of bar treads will probably add to the cost, but that can wait till you have worn out the ones that are on there. What to do about a trailer though - big fuel trailer?