The Pearson Churchill

Graham

Pardon me if this has been covered elsewhere but I recently found an old copy of Classic Military Vehicle magazine issue 142 March 2013 which has an excellent article about John Pearson restoring a 'loaned' Churchill. I was just wondering if there has been any progress reported since this article?

Pardon me if this has been covered elsewhere but I recently found an old copy of Classic Military Vehicle magazine issue 142 March 2013 which has an excellent article about John Pearson restoring a 'loaned' Churchill. I was just wondering if there has been any progress reported since this article?

Graham, I help John with his collection the Churchill has had some work on it a good clean out and some paint chiping, the front idlers adjusters have been freed up hatchs freed.We have tried to free the turret we need to move the turrent to remove the engine It is a major task to get it into a running state again. We have a few restorations going on as well A ferret, Dingo and the Valintine DD which has had some internal restoreation completed with fitting of original fittings recently donated

Al

Graham, I help John with his collection the Churchill has had some work on it a good clean out and some paint chiping, the front idlers adjusters have been freed up hatchs freed.We have tried to free the turret we need to move the turrent to remove the engine It is a major task to get it into a running state again. We have a few restorations going on as well A ferret, Dingo and the Valintine DD which has had some internal restoreation completed with fitting of original fittings recently donated

Al

Thank you for the information. I do realise that these sort of jobs cannot be easy or quick. I build (?) old motorbikes which take enough time never mind the complexity of a tank and the difficulty of finding parts. Thank you again for taking time to reply to my question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to have not replied earlier, I have been internet free! Thanks to Big Al for covering my lack of contact!

As Al says, we have been working on the Churchill slowly amongst other things, freeing up and removing rust by the bucketfull, as it spent 51 years only a mile away from the Atlantic. I saw this tank in 1987 and I am pretty sure I could have driven it off its plinth, given a few hours of work but the intervening years since then have really done some damage. It will be done but slowly!

Anyone in the English Midlands that wants to help - no skills needed!- only has to ask.