1985 Chevy CUCV M1008 maintenance parts help!

LadyLuck

I just got the truck in for a service but having nightmares finding parts.

Anyone got one of these vehicles or can offer advice?

Also, I need to join an owners club...not sure whether to go with an American owners club or military vehicles as it's ex-military and civilianised now, just looks like a Chevy truck!

help much appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
I just got the truck in for a service but having nightmares finding parts.

Anyone got one of these vehicles or can offer advice?

Also, I need to join an owners club...not sure whether to go with an American owners club or military vehicles as it's ex-military and civilianised now, just looks like a Chevy truck!

help much appreciated

Hi Lady Luck,

Just seen your post about your M1008 (there's no doubt it is the military version - and while it is very RED it also looks to be very tidy).

I have an M1009 and will gladly help where I can with where I have sourced parts etc. And I have experience of the dreaded MOT calling for the US-style headlights, flashers and orange markers to be modified.

I am not an expert - but I now know who and where to ask for help.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Hi Lady Luck,

Just seen your post about your M1008 (there's no doubt it is the military version - and while it is very RED it also looks to be very tidy).

I have an M1009 and will gladly help where I can with where I have sourced parts etc. And I have experience of the dreaded MOT calling for the US-style headlights, flashers and orange markers to be modified.

I am not an expert - but I now know who and where to ask for help.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I haven't been back to this site in a while and as I'm new to it I don't get the randomness of the email notifications about replies and messages! So I didn't know I had a reply.

I think I'm going to sell the truck. I am having major problems with very little things. No-one seems to know what to do with it and I'm talking qualified mechanics! I wish I was brave enough to tackle it, but I'm not.

Any advice? (and I'll keep checking back this time).

Thanks

Helen

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I haven't been back to this site in a while and as I'm new to it I don't get the randomness of the email notifications about replies and messages! So I didn't know I had a reply.

I think I'm going to sell the truck. I am having major problems with very little things. No-one seems to know what to do with it and I'm talking qualified mechanics! I wish I was brave enough to tackle it, but I'm not.

Any advice? (and I'll keep checking back this time).

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

Right - my first piece of advice is - don't panic!

Then - try this site Steel Soldiers which is US-based and the link should direct you to the CUCV section covering your truck and all the variants. After joining (very simple) you should find EVERYTHING you need to know about these trucks by checking out the stickies and FAQs. I am a complete mechanical dunce (apart from working on Vivas and Cortinas many years ago).

I do know enough to see that the CUCVs are very simple mechanically - though the 24 volt electrics with two alternators and two batteries initially appears to be complicated. It is NOT complicated and an hour searching Steel Soldiers should make things a bit clearer. It is also a source for the online US Govt Technical Manuals which you can download as PDFs to your pad or mobile, and contain very simple instructions to do ANYTHING on these trucks and with easy to follow diagrams and drawings.

I see you are having trouble with the batteries and I wonder if this is because the system has been changed to 12 volt? Again Steel Soldiers should be able to help here.

Thirdly - if you are at a show in the UK (Overlord 2015 this weekend) and see someone with a truck like yours just ask them for some help and advice. You will find everyone will be eager to pass on their knowledge.

I can get back to you with some more help on where to get parts (again surprisingly easy).

Hope this helps - and welcome to the world of Cucvees!

Steve

Hi Helen,

Right - my first piece of advice is - don't panic!

Then - try this site Steel Soldiers which is US-based and the link should direct you to the CUCV section covering your truck and all the variants. After joining (very simple) you should find EVERYTHING you need to know about these trucks by checking out the stickies and FAQs. I am a complete mechanical dunce (apart from working on Vivas and Cortinas many years ago).

I do know enough to see that the CUCVs are very simple mechanically - though the 24 volt electrics with two alternators and two batteries initially appears to be complicated. It is NOT complicated and an hour searching Steel Soldiers should make things a bit clearer. It is also a source for the online US Govt Technical Manuals which you can download as PDFs to your pad or mobile, and contain very simple instructions to do ANYTHING on these trucks and with easy to follow diagrams and drawings.

I see you are having trouble with the batteries and I wonder if this is because the system has been changed to 12 volt? Again Steel Soldiers should be able to help here.

Thirdly - if you are at a show in the UK (Overlord 2015 this weekend) and see someone with a truck like yours just ask them for some help and advice. You will find everyone will be eager to pass on their knowledge.

I can get back to you with some more help on where to get parts (again surprisingly easy).

Hope this helps - and welcome to the world of Cucvees!

Steve

Thank you so much Steve!!!

I'm feeling better already.

I have been to Steel soldiers and downloaded the tech manuals which I've been trawling through for help...but I must be the biggest dunce around because they are confusing me even more ha!!

I can do stuff if I've got clear instructions. I need a like Hanes manual in book form...I'm crap at reading stuff on my laptop!

I got a battery isolator switch, and I'm getting the batteries charged up so at least they can't sneakily drain out while I'm not looking. Still doesn't explain why the draining is occurring though. I have a million wires about the engine. I think it's still a 24v system (but how would I know otherwise?).

Could it be the glow plugs or relay or something staying active longer than they should??

I'll check back later.

Thanks

Helen

Thank you so much Steve!!!

I'm feeling better already.

I have been to Steel soldiers and downloaded the tech manuals which I've been trawling through for help...but I must be the biggest dunce around because they are confusing me even more ha!!

I can do stuff if I've got clear instructions. I need a like Hanes manual in book form...I'm crap at reading stuff on my laptop!

I got a battery isolator switch, and I'm getting the batteries charged up so at least they can't sneakily drain out while I'm not looking. Still doesn't explain why the draining is occurring though. I have a million wires about the engine. I think it's still a 24v system (but how would I know otherwise?).

Could it be the glow plugs or relay or something staying active longer than they should??

I'll check back later.

Thanks

Helen

That's great. On Steel Soldiers you will see the general advice for getting a new CUCV is to change the fluids, anything rubber (seals, belts etc) and definitely do the Doghead Relay Conversion. This is swapping the original GM starter relay, under the dash, for a more robust starter solenoid to avoid the starter running away and frying wiring and batteries. Just search Doghead Relay and there is a simple set of instructions with photos. I have found a UK site on eBay which does a solenoid for £9.99 and it took me about an hour and a half to fit it - and I am no mechanic.

The other thing is to watch for broken or detached wiring grounds (earths) of which there are loads on CUCVs. Again SS will tell you where to locate them. I have a 1985 M1009 Blazer.

Re batteries - just look up in the TM the correct way (and sequence) they should be connected - my truck helpfully has numbers painted on the connectors to match those on the batteries.

I expect your problems are a combination of you and your mechanic being unfamiliar with how these trucks are set up, likely a cable has been connected wrong or a loose wire or a blown fuse - again under the dash and they are just standard fuses. Remember CUCVs are mass-produced commercial vehicle with parts common to many GM and others products and they are well supported in the US, Europe and by American car parts suppliers in the UK.

Keep me posted.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
That's great. On Steel Soldiers you will see the general advice for getting a new CUCV is to change the fluids, anything rubber (seals, belts etc) and definitely do the Doghead Relay Conversion. This is swapping the original GM starter relay, under the dash, for a more robust starter solenoid to avoid the starter running away and frying wiring and batteries. Just search Doghead Relay and there is a simple set of instructions with photos. I have found a UK site on eBay which does a solenoid for £9.99 and it took me about an hour and a half to fit it - and I am no mechanic.

The other thing is to watch for broken or detached wiring grounds (earths) of which there are loads on CUCVs. Again SS will tell you where to locate them. I have a 1985 M1009 Blazer.

Re batteries - just look up in the TM the correct way (and sequence) they should be connected - my truck helpfully has numbers painted on the connectors to match those on the batteries.

I expect your problems are a combination of you and your mechanic being unfamiliar with how these trucks are set up, likely a cable has been connected wrong or a loose wire or a blown fuse - again under the dash and they are just standard fuses. Remember CUCVs are mass-produced commercial vehicle with parts common to many GM and others products and they are well supported in the US, Europe and by American car parts suppliers in the UK.

Keep me posted.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply...again!

That's really useful info.

I find this website difficult as I don't get any notifications. I'm missing lots as the only way to find out is to log on and literally check every post I'm on! Does this happen for you?

Anyway, the truck is up for sale on eBay. I don't know whether to sell it or not!

I think the starter problems are ok now. She's starting up at least! there's a bit of a high pitched squeak when you rev up but not when idling. Don't know what that is. The belts have been changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Helen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...