Testing a restored B40 Champ engine

simondema

Question

Hi all

My B40 engine has been placed temporarily in the Champ and before I take it out an re-paint it, I want to test it and fix any issues. Can someone please tell me what wiring and setup I need to achieve this, please?

Thanks

Simon

4 answers to this question

Simon,

Surely you have a quick release connector to the junction box and the heavy duty cable to the starter. What more is there unless the Champ does not have an electrical system fitted at present. If it does not, one of us can give help.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have all the cables, however the engine has no wiring loom attached. I assume that once the 2x12V batteries are connected, then the cables will be attached to the starter motor, but that's where I come to a stop.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Simon

Simon,

I can understand your desire to run up the engine before painting.

You must be careful to have the ballast resistor in series with the coil if running at 24 Volts or you may burn the coil out. You could just arrange a 12 volt supply for the coil. I take it that you have an FV coil and leads on the engine. If starting it for first time you should fit an oil pressure gauge. Hopefully you should see some oil pressure before she fires up. Do not keep running it if you do not see oil pressure come up PDQ. For quick run-up temp gauge and oil pressure switch might not matter. If you have the starter motor that I expect you have, you need to connect the heavy duty positive 24 volt cable to the starter and the neg to the casting of the engine. To make the starter go you will have to find some way of sending the signal to it. My recollection is that there is a cover that you can remove which will expose the low power terminals. I think that I have posted a paper on FV electrical systems in the electrics section of the forum. I expect that there is other good info around.

I don't think that the generator matters so long as nothing is connected to it.

Finally, be careful with the petrol. A quick run up with ropey electrics, open exhausts etc is much more hazardous. Have no bigger petrol supply than necessary if you are not using the vehicle's tank.

I hope that I am not teaching you how to such eggs!

John

Hi John

thanks for the great reply, and you are certainly not telling me how to suck eggs. Any bits of information is very much appreciated.

Yes I have all the cables and wires connected on the engine, so I just need to get all the connection sorted outside the engine. I think the easiest will be to get the auto electrician who works closely with my mechanic to devise a test bed setup we can connect to the engine. I also have someone who has a switchboard setup that can be connected up and start the engine that way.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Simon