A&E? will it be back?

Flipping heck Enigma ( I saw you on the History Channel the other day) I actually had a text last night asking the same thing.

The issue I have is funding. If the truth be known, it cost me a least £6000 out of my own pocket, lost wages, bills etc etc. Not many folk know that but that's pretty much where it is. 2012 I had funding in place and last minute both sponsors pulled because of their financial issues (both where/are well known names).

That gave me a lot of stress and embarrassment as you can imagine. I was slightly offended when one attendee moaned at me for not being able to give some help with said transport costs. I was pretty furious with that seeing as they had spent one hell of a weekend living the dream and getting the chance to do what you don't normally get to do on the roads of the UK.

A&E is a MASSIVE animal to organise that takes up more time than you can imagine. A&E for me is a bit like your own

wedding - everyone gets to have fun - as you are too busy running around making sure everyone else is OK and having fun :blush::cry:

IF and it's a big IF (because of the costs of organising A&E) I would move the site to a show ground within 500 yards of Dorchester - not on a big hill.

I would run the convoy to the Tank Museum on the Saturday (the public would be there) so you guys can look around the birth place of the tank. Have a look at Tiger 131.

Return from the Museum to head up the carnival like we did in 2010

Sunday I would take us to the Weymouth Veterans Parade (if they would have us).

It's a big IF and this time I would have to put a team together. I have major commitments in my professional life that seems to always have me on a plane jetting off somewhere.

But I also feel that the hobby and those in it need an event like this to keep taking our history to the public in a high impact way.

Edited by Jack

I would run the convoy to the Tank Museum on the Saturday (the public would be there) so you guys can look around the birth place of the tank. Have a look at Tiger 131.

I think you'll find Lincoln is the birthplace of the Tank:

http://www.visitlincoln.com/about-lincoln/history-heritage/birthplace-of-the-tank

As I now live in Lincoln I suggest moving the event up here!

Chris

Me on history channel?, damn I'm famous.:D

I can't even imagine the work (and money) involved, no organiser myself.

For me it was a hell of a journey to get there in Hotel Renault . But I enjoyed it both times, all thanks to you and many who helped behind the scenes.

Edited by Enigma

• 2 weeks later...

Funding these things is always going to be difficult ,the obvious answer would be a lottery grant but I would imagine the ww1 centenary will be well ahead of any other military events over the next few years,probably the next chance for that is going to be 2019 for the d day 75 anniversary so there is no excuse for anyone who hasn't finished their restorations yet and Jack should have his pilots licence by then so he can command from above

Nigel

will do it again on 2 conditions

would need help in cookhouse as volunteers as do it for the people attending not being paid to do it

everyone know before hand a free cookhouse they pay for food only no wages are involved:cool2:

numbers are confirmed before hand so dont run out of food due to more being fed than planed:nut:

had a couple of hickups last time with having to do 2 sittings due to having to cook more very quickly

will do it again on 2 conditions

would need help in cookhouse as volunteers as do it for the people attending not being paid to do it

everyone know before hand a free cookhouse they pay for food only no wages are involved:cool2:

numbers are confirmed before hand so dont run out of food due to more being fed than planed:nut:

had a couple of hickups last time with having to do 2 sittings due to having to cook more very quickly

I dont know about 2010, but in 2012 you did a fantastic job...well done.

I'm sure lots of us went home feeling bad about not helping you. I still dont know how yoyu managed to supply the caterering for £20 a head......outstanding.

I cant understand the the numbers though, when we signed up we had to pay our money x4 people £80 simple.

Some one must have had those figures,so did some people pay on arrival or gate crash perhaps.

Simple way round this,man on the gate who directed traffic/parking also has list of people who has paid,he then gives them meal tickets.When people go to kitchen they hand in ticket.....no ticket no food.

that was why you were asked to sign at meals so we knew how many we fed hope you enjoyed the food as we tried our best to keep everyone happy

a few people came up at every service and helped which was a great help but had at least 1 came out with a great saying of i have servents to do that for me when asked to peal 1 potatoe:nut:

I dont know about 2010, but in 2012 you did a fantastic job...well done.

I'm sure lots of us went home feeling bad about not helping you. I still dont know how yoyu managed to supply the caterering for £20 a head......outstanding.

I cant understand the the numbers though, when we signed up we had to pay our money x4 people £80 simple.

Some one must have had those figures,so did some people pay on arrival or gate crash perhaps.

Simple way round this,man on the gate who directed traffic/parking also has list of people who has paid,he then gives them meal tickets.When people go to kitchen they hand in ticket.....no ticket no food.

I was that guy (drowned rat) on the gate and I have to say I was disgusted with the attitude of a few individuals who were very awkward and in a couple of instances abusive also with the many who promised to help but then failed to show.

There were others (and you know who you are) who went out of your way to help and saved my weekend when I got flooded out of my tent and as I have said before the Brits were shown up by the 'cloggies' when it came to helping out Dave and his crew on the catering.

I can well understand if Jack doesn't do it again as the event is like an iceberg, 90% of the work is never seen and the financial cost is staggering and with the hassle involved I'm surprised Jack has any hair left........unless it's a rug:D

that was why you were asked to sign at meals so we knew how many we fed hope you enjoyed the food as we tried our best to keep everyone happy

a few people came up at every service and helped which was a great help but had at least 1 came out with a great saying of i have servents to do that for me when asked to peal 1 potatoe:nut:

David you did a first class job the food was great, service great and as stated before outstanding value.

Im only sorry I did not help out, I must admit I was not FULLY aware of what the "pack drill" was.

As for people being rude upon arrival, thats not on at all and of course rightly or wrongly the "front man" and in this case the "drowned rat"...sorry ;) takes the brunt of that.

As you said it was wet. For my part my jouney down turned into a six hour marathon after very poor traffic conditions, and once arrived found our truck (that had been delivered earlier in the day) buried in a hedge with a number of other campers set up around it,making it difficult to get it out.

All that said we had a great time,having only exspected 4 of us in the truck,but pulling out of the site Saturday morning with about 20 riders.....one of whom looked like Dr Who........where on earth did he come from,well apart from Jack saying "you got room for another Gary,take this bloke with you his wife has bought him a ticket "

Lets all hope Jack doe s it again,but this time give him more help and MORE money, its worth paying to take part in something like this, I dont see anyone going to something like this being poor. We dont need really deep pockets we just need to put our hands in them.

Edited by gas 44

Sorry, I plead guilty to parking up your truck:blush: but in my defence there was nobody near when it was put there but due to being single handed I couldn't control exactly where people parked and obviously the weather made things difficult.

As regards the character you so aptly describe when his wife delivered him on site I had great difficulty keeping a straight face and when Jack asked you to take him I had to hide in my tent, the expressions on yours and your crews faces would have made me a fortune if I'd only had a camera to hand:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I plead guilty to parking up your truck:blush: but in my defence there was nobody near when it was put there but due to being single handed I couldn't control exactly where people parked and obviously the weather made things difficult.

As regards the character you so aptly describe when his wife delivered him on site I had great difficulty keeping a straight face and when Jack asked you to take him I had to hide in my tent, the expressions on yours and your crews faces would have made me a fortune if I'd only had a camera to hand:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Degsy, dont worry about parking the truck.

As regard Dr Who, I thought we had lost him at the lunch break. No such luck, even with THAT scarf he managed to catch our Gmc with Ben hur at full chat and remount...... he was determined. Just imagine how good he would have looked asride Jim Clarkes Sherman ;)

Degsy, dont worry about parking the truck.

As regard Dr Who, I thought we had lost him at the lunch break. No such luck, even with THAT scarf he managed to catch our Gmc with Ben hur at full chat and remount...... he was determined. Just imagine how good he would have looked asride Jim Clarkes Sherman ;)

I was expecting him to get tangled up in the damn thing and go arse over tip in the mud.:nut: I don't think even Jim's good humour would have stretched to that :nono::D