WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

I quite agree in that it should have a washer. Unfortunately, the split pin hole is drilled too close to allow one to be fitted in and it is the original pivot pin. The pivot pin does have a feather under the head on the other end and that should stop it rotating. It seems strange that the split pin sheared off as there is no axial load on the pivot. Also, once it had sheared, I would have expected to find the centre of the pin still in the hole trapped in the grease but it wasn't there. A strange one but one to keep an eye on I think!

Steve :cool2:

Our next outing will be to the Shuttleworth Collection WW1 flying day on August 10th. The three of us are going together again. I have also been gently encouraging some more friends so we may well see two more Great War era three tonners making a total of five.

A rare sight if it comes off!

Steve :D

• 7 months later...

It is coming on for 10 years ago that this thread was started by Tim and over subsequent years we have been pleased that so much interest was created in it and have been grateful to have had so much input and advice from other members of the Forum whilst the work was still going on.

The restoration of the Dennis was mainly completed a couple of years ago and we have not posted any more of the story during the last six months or so as there is little fresh to tell now. But there still seems to be a great deal of interest in it and if anybody notices "numbers", then you may have seen that the number of "hits" on the thread still regularly increases and that it has today exceeded the half a million mark. We remain very amazed at this continuing interest and thank everybody for it.

Tony, Steve and Tim

• 4 months later...

The Dennis (along with at least 9 other WW1 vehicles) will be appearing at the Shuttleworth collection on Sunday 5th July. Hopefully if everybody arrives the following should be there:

AEC Y Type X 2

Hallford

Dennis

Liberty B

Nash Quad

Fiat 15 TER

LGOC B Type

Crossley Tender

Albion A10

More information available here:

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militaryww1/

Should be a good turnout.

We will be driving the Dennis down from its current storage which is fairly local. The Dennis will soon be moving further up country soon so it is unlikely to come this far South again for a while.

Don't forget the Tate & Lyle McCurd and the Collection's Crossley to add to the list, really looking forward to this I'll be on site from about half 7 sorting out how we can display this amazing event, hoping to put the Sopwith Camel in your midst.

Thank you for all the sorting out you have done

Steve

Don't forget the Tate & Lyle McCurd and the Collection's Crossley to add to the list, really looking forward to this I'll be on site from about half 7 sorting out how we can display this amazing event, hoping to put the Sopwith Camel in your midst.

Thank you for all the sorting out you have done

Steve

What age is the collections tin lizzie with the Huck Starter on the back?

Strictly speaking it's early 20's but I still count it although we tend to only use it on the Hind and Demon now as with the idle times of the WW1 types the hucks can take too long to get out of the way. The tickets for the show are selling rediculously fast now and if anyone who isn't a member of the SVAS (the volunteer association) wants to get a ticket I stongly advise buying in advance to guarantee entry, it's cheaper in advance too. SVAS members will be able to buy tickets in advance with their valid membership card on the day at £18.

Steve

Also the Vauxhall Prince Henry and D-Type staff cars from the Vauxhall Heritage Collection!

Steve

I'm really looking forward to getting all of these lined up as it is going to be fantastic and there will be a parade of as many of the vehicles as we can before the flying starts, tickets really are selling well and I doubt if there will be many available on the day so if you want to see this amazing gathering please book.

http://Www.shuttleworth.org/militaryww1/

Steve

• 1 month later...

We relocated the Dennis today driving it 61 miles to its new home in Leicester.

As readers will remember lack of storage space has been a problem for us so it has been residing with our very good friend Mick in Gamlingay for the last year or so. On Saturday it was driven about 25 miles to Woburn Sands and today we took it to its new home. It was an tiring but trouble free journey up the A5 and took about 4 hours to complete with one quick stop on the way to fill up with water. Here are a few photos of the day:

Getting ready to leave:

IMG_9243_zpscyz2o80p.jpg

Milton Keynes:

IMG_9244_zpsbblpmnvw.jpg

IMG_9246_zpsxsva4dvk.jpg

Towcester:

IMG_9262_zpsvln2b0g1.jpg

Up the A5:

IMG_9271_zpsxjinkihm.jpg

IMG_9272_zpspgxsu5sz.jpg

Nearly home now:

IMG_9273_zpszoct9q6i.jpg

IMG_9276_zpsjb9nnkcj.jpg

IMG_9275_zps0zcf7plm.jpg

A useful shed:

IMG_9286_zpsyit0aqnj.jpg

Larger drip tray required.

Larger Motor House required, that one seems to be nearly full!

Yes, it is nearly full but this one has headroom! Couldn't go any wider as my neighbour is extremely protective of her boundary. Still, the lorry goes in and I can walk down one side which is more than I can say for my car in the car garage!

Current project is to make the doors up and make it secure. It is amazing how many hours this project has taken even with professionals doing the building. Never mind. The end is in sight and it will be back to the Thorny soon!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

So what's it like driving a SMV (Slow Moving Vehicle) in Britain? Are the drivers there as intolerant as they are here? Of course, when I'm doing it, it's in a tractor. Boring, ordinary. I would guess bad-natured people are a little more bemused at an antique truck versus a tractor.

I'm also curious as to what the rules are about driving vehicles like that? Are there restrictions where you can go? Special licenses, etc?

Decades ago, I worked for Land Rover North America and had to go to Britain for training. The first time I flew into Gatwick, I was taken ashore, jet lagged as heck, and required to hop into a Discovery and tow a 25 foot caravan to an off-road event a hundred miles away. My sphincter didn't loosen up until a week later. What a way to break into driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I always figured it was a bit of a test.

There are no restrictions on what we do other than stay off the motorway which has a 50mph minimum limit. Sometimes people get a bit grumpy and do something stupid. One idiot overtook us once and then slammed on the brakes once he got in front of us so we nearly hit him, but I can only think of only that one occasion. Most of the time people just get on with it. Some smile, some don't. Steve taught me a valuable lesson in just smiling and waving at people who look angry rather than shouting back at them.

• 2 months later...