WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

[QUOTE=robin craig;241049]In your run up to the Brighton run, what do you feel in what order are the biggest chances of mechanical failure?

Well, we have tried to think of everything and just hope that all will be OK! I guess that our biggest worry is that with time so tight, we will not have had chance to give the lorry some good road-runs before hand to see if any real problems develope.

And of course, we do not know yet if we have been accepted for the "Run". It is usually over-subscribed so we may not be given a place in any case.

One thing that we do have to do before the "Brighton" and one that we did not want to do is to press the back tyres off the wheels again - they do not appear to be tight enough. We think that we shall have to insert some thin steel shim between the tyres and the wheels - for own peace of mind! It would be dreadful if the tyres started to move off the wheels when we were on the road!

Tony

Great to see the body going on.

I see a problem developing with a lack of clearance as the roof goes on! Is there another call for a bigger and taller shed?

Doug:;)

Well, it would be nice to have a bigger and taller shed - but that is not on! The Dennis' were fitted with two different types of cab - one sort being high, wooden and fixed and the other was of the folding canvas type. We shall go for the canvas type - with any "modifications" incorporated so that it can be taken down fairly easily.

When we put the FWD back in the shed, all of the canvas has to be taken down so that it will go in and we envisage doing the same sort of thing with the Dennis.

A bit of a nuisance but we can live with that!

Tony

Great to see the body going on.

I see a problem developing with a lack of clearance as the roof goes on! Doug:;)

Quite right. I have spent so much time wandering around in the back with my head down that I am beginning to feel like a cross between John Cleese and Groucho Marx!

Steve :-)

In your run up to the Brighton run, what do you feel in what order are the biggest chances of mechanical failure?

R

It is difficult to guess what might happen although we should be able to sort it on the road. With our other lorries we have had a variety of failures, usually involving the magneto, from it moving and uncoupling itself from the drive dog to distributor cap insulation break down and to the centre carbon brush for the grounding switch breaking up allowing the spring to wrap itself around the contact breaker. We have also had the impulse drive mechanism come off allowing the key to fall from the drive and thus losing the timing. We never found the key so I whittled a new one from a piece of mahogany we were using as a chock. It got us home!

On the Autocar, we have suffered an exploding tyre (a problem we won't have with the Dennis!), a sunk carburettor float and the flywheel coming loose from the crankshaft. I whittled a new float from a piece of softwood which got us home although it had sunk by the following day. The loose flywheel was a pain as it was a body off and gearbox out job in the rally field to get at it. Had to do it though as it was our only transport home. It did cause a lot of interest at the show and there were as many people watching us as there were around the ring!

The only prediction I can make is that the most likely problems will be to do with fuel or ignition. I am hoping that with so many of you to keep your fingers crossed for us, we will be OK!

Steve ;)

Great thread, keep up the good work!

I was just wondering what you were doing regarding coach bolts as I have not been able to find imperial ones for ages. Did you come accross any to finish off the body? What size are you using, I have a selection stashed away if it is a few you need.

Regards

Ed

Great thread, keep up the good work!

I was just wondering what you were doing regarding coach bolts as I have not been able to find imperial ones for ages. Did you come accross any to finish off the body? What size are you using, I have a selection stashed away if it is a few you need.

Regards

Ed

Thank you Ed!

We have family in the USA and in the past, have bought square nuts and carriage bolts over there when we have been visiting - and brought them back as part of our luggage. The threads are UNC. Very difficult to get square nuts in the UK, too, but all readily available in the USA.

I looked on USA Ebay yesterday and have found more than one Advertiser there selling them - in packs of 100 - prices are very reasonable - but of course, shipping costs are the unknown at the moment. I have written to enquire!

We are short of 3 1/2" x 3/8" in particular - the Advertiser offers 3" and 4". We would prefer to get 3 1/2" ones but will cut 4" ones down if needs be.

Tony

[QUOTE=robin craig;241049]In your run up to the Brighton run, what do you feel in what order are the biggest chances of mechanical failure?

Well, we have tried to think of everything and just hope that all will be OK! I guess that our biggest worry is that with time so tight, we will not have had chance to give the lorry some good road-runs before hand to see if any real problems develope.

And of course, we do not know yet if we have been accepted for the "Run". It is usually over-subscribed so we may not be given a place in any case.

Tony

Hi team Dennis,

We are located 5 mins from the halfway stop at Crawley. We'll be watching the run and hoping to cheer you as you drive past (or chat if you can stop for a cuppa). If you have any problems you cannot solve we have recovery capability, a transporter and workshop facilities. I don't think for one moment you'll need them but the offer is there just in case.

Feel free to PM me nearer the time if you want my number.

Oh, and like everyone else I am in awe at the work you are doing. You have our greatest respect and admiration.

Regards - Mike

With the final painting and lettering of the lorry coming ever closer, Barry has amazingly come up with the original Dennis Stencil from his collection of Dennis memorabilia that was used in the sign-writing of lorries like ours with the instruction - "Load not to exceed 3 tons". It probably has not been used for well over 80 years and we will get tremendous pleasure in using it on our Dennis when we start the sign- writing! Great thanks to Barry for so generously providing this!

P1042791.jpg

How more original can you be?

Yes. Well I could make the stencil for them but I think we will be better off, timewise, if we leave it for the signwriter along with the numbers on the bonnet and licence plate and any symbol on the seat box. Tim will choose a number and a symbol. We have several pictures of the lorries with a fern and 'NZ' on the seat ends which I take to signify New Zealand. We could also have a shell (ammunition) or a clover leaf (fodder).

At the moment we are cock-a-hoop at just being able to use original stencils and thank Barry very much for his great kindness in lending such precious items to us. What amazing survivors.

Steve :-D

You want to do it in NZ markings. You know you do. Deep down you know it's the only markings that will make the truck scream quality and sophistication. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Hmm, slippery slope..... Soon you'll be hearing them say ''Some pommie's got one of our lorries'' and before you know it you'll be accused of stealing their heritage......;)

It's a new decade and yet you're repetoire of humour still includes sheep jokes.... *shakes head in dissapointment* :yawn: Half of us started as poms anyway.... Maybe that's why we turned to sheep, 'cos pommy sheilas weren't attractive enough :cool2: *Stands back and awaits witty reply from Adrian*

P.S: Speaking of stealing heritage, how many of our Valentines do you have back over there now?

Edited by The Bedford Boys
wording simplified for audience

It's a new decade and yet you're repetoire of humour still includes sheep jokes.... *shakes head in dissapointment* :yawn: Half of us started as poms anyway.... Maybe that's why we turned to sheep, 'cos pommy sheilas weren't attractive enough :cool2: *Stands back and awaits witty reply from Adrian*

P.S: Speaking of stealing heritage, how many of our Valentines do you have back over there now?

What you mean the ones that have returned to their birthplace? Hmm, let's see..... only two so far.:-D

Hmm, slippery slope..... Soon you'll be hearing them say ''Some pommie's got one of our lorries'' and before you know it you'll be accused of stealing their heritage......;)

My thoughts as well. I could imagine some bureaucrat in Wellington unwittingly looking at a photo of your endeavors, seeing the kiwi insignia and starting procedures to classify it as a significant piece of New Zealand national heritage.

The other other side of the coin for you, could be a sponsored trip to the battle fields for NZ centenary events. Now if we had our projects completed on time I wonder if they ( NZ Govt) would cover the costs of a couple of Kiwi trucks to participate in European centenary events!

Doug;)

My thoughts as well. I could imagine some bureaucrat in Wellington unwittingly looking at a photo of your endeavors, seeing the kiwi insignia and starting procedures to classify it as a significant piece of New Zealand national heritage.

The other other side of the coin for you, could be a sponsored trip to the battle fields for NZ centenary events. Now if we had our projects completed on time I wonder if they ( NZ Govt) would cover the costs of a couple of Kiwi trucks to participate in European centenary events!

Doug;)

Did the New Zealand army have their own Service Corps operational? My guess is that for Europe it would have been British ASC Coys attached to the New Zealand armies. Being attached to the New Zealanders would have been a reason to choose the New Zealand emblem.

Did the New Zealand army have their own Service Corps operational? My guess is that for Europe it would have been British ASC Coys attached to the New Zealand armies. Being attached to the New Zealanders would have been a reason to choose the New Zealand emblem.

Something which perhaps Michael Young could answer - maybe Tim might ask him?

Tony

The NZ ASC was formed in 1913. During WW1 it saw action just in Eygypt. Roy is probably right about British ASC's being attached to them:

IMG_4771.jpg

if we were to put NZ markings on the Dennis it would probably look a little like this:

NZDennis.jpg

I think the "1" indicates the first NZ Brigade of the NZ Division. Not sure what colour the leaf would be or the roundel. Any thoughts or should i try the GWF?

Tim