WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Just so you know what state the rest of it is in, here are some more photos.

This is the core, which was in very good condition, although needing some gentle tweaking with some pliers to get the gills straight. The white dust is oxidised aluminium.

018_15A_0001.jpg

The bottom tank was in as bad as condition as the top. Just full of holes as well as eroded. As it was a water pump it probably sat full of water for a long time so that it might be ready for action.

DennisRadiator20June2005006.jpg[/img]

Tony plated up the holes and then filled the space with Devcon and then covered with an epoxy resin, much in the same way as the top tank.

RadTankswithSealer004.jpg[/img]

The sides of the radiator were broken and needed replacing.

[/img]DennisRadiator20June2005009.jpg

Using an original as a patterns with an extra piece of wood fixed to the top to account for shrinkage in the casting process, we got a pair recast. The end result was OK, but a little rough. A friend suggested a different foundry and they did a superb job. They just need a good polish.

RadTankswithSealer005.jpg[/img]

Hopefully the next photos that i post of the radiator, it will be fully assembled and on the truck. As for whether it will leak or will be water proof, we will all have to wait and see.

• 2 months later...

Been busy for a while and then had computer problems. Things are settling down a bit so i thought that you might like to see what we have been up to recently.

The radiator is now finished and on the front of the chassis. Looks rather good, although we wont know how good our repair work is until we run it. We think it will be ok though so are not too worried about it.

We then tried mounting the scuttle to see how it looks. It still requires some holes cut in it and some tidying up, so it is now back of the lorry for some more work, but this is how it appeared for the dhort time that it was on.
    Radiator15Apl2006012.jpg

Steve has been as busy as always and using the remains of the old exhaust, he has made wooden patterns for the front and back to be cast. Also he has made patterns for the fuel tank mounting brackets and the exhaust elbow. Here are the patterns for the exhaust front and back compared with the originals:
    DSCN1333.jpg[/img]

And here are the new castings:
    Castings001.jpg[/img]

Finally, i mentioned some good news not so long ago. Well we have now acquired the correct torque tube and prop shaft. These were the last major components that we were missing. Although Steve was happy to look at making them, it will certainly save us a lot of bother and aggravation now that we have them. Here is a photo of one end. The other end is much the same, just with a great big heavy tube connecting the two ends. I am glad that we dont have to make them, although i think Steve was chomping at the bit for the opportunity to have a go.
    DSCN2755.jpg[/img]

Well you will have to come for a ride when it is finished. Do you make visits to the UK very often. Steve and I both have WW1 US Uniforms which we have worn out with the FWD. it made some nice photos. Am currently thinking about collecting a WW1 British Army uniform but have been diverting the money elsewhere instead.

As part of my interest i collect photos of WW1 transport and have come across several photos of British built trucks in US Army service. The most common ones were Dennis, AEC, Daimler and Foden although there were no doubt many more. The first one i came across was of a Dennis which had both WD and USA on the side. We always think of the Yanks supplying the British with trucks, but at this time it seemed to work both ways.

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully we will be doing some shows next year with our other trucks, so i will let you know and you can come for a ride.

We know where there is an original fuel tank, but sadly it has been earmarked for another Dennis restoration. However, saying that we have been able to copy it quite well.

Steve bought a £44 lump of bronze and set to work on it

DSCN1385.jpg

Then after 14 hours work, the bottom of it looked like this

DSCN1393.jpg[/img]

and the top looked like this

DSCN1392.jpg[/img]

Creating a perfect replica of the fuel tank filler cap. All that work and money spent on something that can't actually be seen!

Something more visible is the radiator protector, which Tony has now completed and fixed to the chassis. You can see what the original looked like on the war time photo.

DSCN0157.jpg[/img]

All more progress.

Tim (too)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, i have not added any more pictures for a while, so i thought that we should keep you up to date with what has been going on.

The new scuttle is just about finished and we think it is looking rather good. Hopefully we will fit it the weekend after next. This is how it looks at the moment.

DSCN2757.jpg

As you can see, finding room to paint in the dry is getting a bit tight.

Our biggest problem (or opportunity depending if you work in a customer focussed organisation) is the paint. We are now decided that the paint we have been using is too glossy and will have to repaint everything we have done before. A bit of a pain but it was never right. Having spent £300 on getting the right stuff ordered and mixed perhaps we left it a little late to come to the conclusion that it is wrong, but anyway we have got another batch made. Better now, as opposed to when we had fitted the body.

Another big thing is that the new wings arrived this week, and this is how they look:

DSCN2818.jpg

Another shed load of money, but having the correct ones will really make it. Now, we will set Tony to work with his paintbrush before they rust.

Hopefully will have some more pictures posted soon

Tim (too)

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps I can answer this one.

I wanted to make an electric car for Tims girls. I rather fancied a Jeep ('Just like Daddys') but anything would do. Unfortunately, all of the prospective candidates were just 'Noddy Cars' and didn't inspire me at all. Then, I found 'Real Life Toys' (usual disclaimer) advertising a Series One Landrover, marketed as the 'Toylander'. This was much more appealing as whilst still a toy rather than a model, it was quite recognisable for what it was. The clincher was that my Father had been issued with one during his National Service and had this picture of it on Beattock in 1960.

http:

With this picture in hand, I bought the drawings and a few parts (wheels, mirrors, bonnet catches) and made it from MDF. I did get a bit carried away though so it has full leaf spring suspension, ackermann steering, disc brakes and halogen headlights. It is powered by two wheelchair motors and does a comfortable walking pace. We have taken it to a couple of rallies in the back of the FWD and find that it creates far more interest than the Great War lorries. Not quite sure how to take that but the Girls love it! Real Life Toys say that if you use the kit they supply, it can be built in two weeks of evenings. I started with a sheet of timber so it took me 369 3/4 hours. Never mind. It was good fun to do. Here is the proof of the pudding:

[/img]

Cheers!

Steve

PS I saw a beautiful Jeep model at Beltring years ago. Does anyone know anything of it?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for your kind comment Mick and thanks for the lead Steve. I must admit that I hadn't found that one. It is quite tempting but I think I have my work cut out with the Dennis! Dennis lawnmowers are interesting too but once restored, they have the habit of encouraging gardening which would never do!

Steve

• 1 month later...

It is been a while since i have updated the restoration on this one, so here are some more photos of what we have been up to on the Dennis.

We have an original bonnet for the Dennis, which was kept with the Dennis engine in its previous incarnation as a water pump. It was very twisted, rusty and bent and looked like this:

Bonnet007.jpg

Then after a lot of trial and error we managed to get the finished bonnet into place, which now looks like this:

DSCN2925.jpg

This picture does not really show the size of the thing, but the top of my head almost comes up to the base of the radiator cap. It is a big old thing and nice to see it coming along

We always go for the correct threads for the correct vehicle, some of which are getting a bit hard to find. We seem to have made a lot of friends though who quite regular turn up with boxes and tins of really ancient nuts and bolts. In fact we had a big delivery today from a chap who used to own a gargae and is constantly finding them. When i go to the USA i usually come back with a suitcase full of nuts (square) and bolts which you cant get over here any more. When i go and stay with the In Laws in Springfield Illinois i visit all the hardware stores and clear them out of certain sizes and threads, giving them a year to restock before my next shopping spree.