Air Ministry Motorcycles

DWS

During some research on AFS Matchless motorcycles I came across an order in the Matchless factory records from the Ministry of Aviation for 12 Matchless motorcycles, the order was dated February 1960.

I have to say I was not aware that the Air Ministry (or RAF ?) were issued with Matchless motorcycles of this period. However, as it was only 12 machines, maybe they were intended for Air Ministry Dispatch Rider use?

Can anyone help with information on this one please?

The Air Ministry & the Ministry of Aviation are not the same.

They were quite separate organisations with the RAF under the control of the Air Ministry.

The Ministry of Aviation had responsibilities not just for the whole field of military & civil aviation but also included research, development and procurement of aircraft, guided weapons, nuclear weapons and electronic equipment for the fighting services.

The Air Ministry & the Ministry of Aviation are not the same.

They were quite separate organisations with the RAF under the control of the Air Ministry.

The Ministry of Aviation had responsibilities not just for the whole field of military & civil aviation but also included research, development and procurement of aircraft, guided weapons, nuclear weapons and electronic equipment for the fighting services.

Thanks for that, I'm still learning! So, could it's responsibilities have also extended to the Auxiliary Fire Service and Civil Defense organisations? And I wonder why was it ordering motorcycles?

Edited by DWS

I don't know the use to which they were put. The MOA was directly responsible to Parliament in a similar way to the MOD. It was not under the control of the MOD, although it worked with the MOD on defence matters.

There were three MOA Controllers.

Controller of Aircraft (CA)

Controller of Atomic Weapons (CAW)

Controller of Guided Weapons & Electronics (CGWE)

The bikes may just have been used for liaison & document transfer at establishments that the MOA controlled:

Aeroplane & Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) Boscombe Down

Explosives Research & Development & Establishment (ERDE) Waltham Abbey

National Gas Turbine Establishment (NGTE) Pyestock

Rocket Propulsion Establishment (RPE) Westcott

Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) Farnborough

The electronics side of CGWL controlled the Royal Radar Establishment (RRE) Malvern & the Signal Research & Development Establishment (SRDE) Christchurch.

Possibly they were under trials with radio communication or something very mundane. I have a MOA publication of SRDE work on a field battery charging installation fitted to an Austin K9.

Hi Clive

Thanks for that, my guess also was they may have been used as Dispatch Bikes for document transfer etc. between establishments as you say. Seems feasable, given the work the MoA was engaged in.

Thanks

Dave