RAF Vehicle Type Numbers in WW2

LarryH57

Has anyone got a list of RAF Vehicle Type Numbers, that seem to be quite prevalent on RAF vehicles used from around 1944 to early post-war, especially so for 2nd TAF vehicles. These numbers were unique to a particular vehicle type and whatever RAF unit had them the Type number was always the same - if they bothered to display it!

BTW - there is some circumstantial evidence that for 2nd TAF RAF Jeeps that some carried Type 1900 on the bonnet / hood (on the left hand drivers side and the RAF vehicle serial on the other side of the bonnet. The photo of the Padre may be RCAF and connected with 401 Sqn RCAF but I'm trying to confirm if the white circle and 'I' marking seen on a few Jeeps is a 'Roman 1' and reference to their previous identity as 1 Sqn RCAF. Any photos of 2nd TAF Jeeps greatly appreciated, whatever the nationality of the unit.

photo07.jpg

2 TAF.jpg

Austin K6.jpg

Bedford QL and WAAFS.jpg

RAF Padre.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

Has anyone got a list of RAF Vehicle Type Numbers, that seem to be quite prevalent on RAF vehicles used from around 1944 to early post-war, especially so for 2nd TAF vehicles. These numbers were unique to a particular vehicle type and whatever RAF unit had them the Type number was always the same - if they bothered to display it!

BTW - there is some circumstantial evidence that for 2nd TAF RAF Jeeps that some carried Type 1900 on the bonnet / hood (on the left hand drivers side and the RAF vehicle serial on the other side of the bonnet. The photo of the Padre may be RCAF and connected with 401 Sqn RCAF but I'm trying to confirm if the white circle and 'I' marking seen on a few Jeeps is a 'Roman 1' and reference to their previous identity as 1 Sqn RCAF. Any photos of 2nd TAF Jeeps greatly appreciated, whatever the nationality of the unit.

You need to find a copy of "Wheels of the RAF" by Bruce Robertson, published by PSL in 1983. That has the fullest list of RAF type numbers that I have seen. Jeeps are Type 1900 however, and the Type 1300 QLs are quaintly referred to as 3-ton standard tenders.....

There one here for a fiver - and another for £176!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Royal-Force-Bruce-Robertson/dp/0850596246

Edited by simon king

Thanks Simon,

I'll order a copy from somewhere but if you have one yourself just answer this simple question - why were RAF Type Numbers introduced?

It says................

"With Britain poised to invade the Continent, planning staffs were concerned with the logistic support for the venture. To facilitate the ordering of the correct spares for vehicles, when such a diversity of types with varying designations existed, it was decided early in 1944 to type number the various types of vehicles."

Don't know how that would work when you have something like a Bedford OY or Bedford QL though - both are Bedford Type 1300 so you would still need the original designation anyway.

Well Simon, that's a start. I guessed right that it was introduced in 1944, and although the book says it was for D-Day, it was also used on UK airfields too, which in turn suggests the Type Number was applied before delivery rather than being unit specific or just for 2 TAF.

Now I just need to get a list together from the book and also check that Bedford OY really was given the same RAF Type Number as a QL. Photos of RAF Bedford OY's in 1944-45 anyone?

Larry, I have copies of the AMOs somewhere giving complete lists of all type numbers i'll dig them out and can send you copies.

I would hasten to point out though there were in a sense two series of type numbers running concurrently. One was the "general" type number which lasted only a short time (introduced for the invasion and discontinued about September if i remember it right) and there was the Signals Type number. The latter designated the body carried - the same equipment would be fitted whether it was on, say, a fordson chassis or austin chassis - and these were used well after the war.

Bryan

EDIT: Oh, and if you haven't already ordered a copy, I wouldn't bother with wheels of the RAF. Too vague and too many generalities and mistakes.

Edited by RAFMT

Hi Lads, Now I can spend a bit of time each day out of bed I am trying to catch up. I think Robertson's reasoning for TYPE numbers (which Simon has quoted ) is very flawed; I believe the purpose was to define a vehicles purpose to enable planning staff to list vehicle establishments by function ; TYPE 1300 is a perfect example- A type 1300 is a load carrier of 3 ton capacity, whether its a BEDFORD QL. OY a Fordson WOT6 or a Nubian doesn't really matter as long as it can carry 3 ton of cargo. thoughts ?

Bryan I would gratefully receive a copy of the AMOs on the subject regards

Regards

TED

Bryan, thanks for your reply, and yes I would really appreciate copies of the AMOs.

I also understand now from what you have said that the Austin K6 photo gives an example of the Type Number for the body.

And Ted, welcome back I hope you are getting better. Thanks for your input on the vehicle 'Type Number' being the load capacity. If its true that a QL was Type 1300 and a Jeep a Type 1900, was the type number meant to confuse the enemy as it has no correlation to lbs. or Kgs! Also the well known photo of Prestwick's Crash Tender shows Type 1301 on the side, so was another number added for its use?

BTW - in passing did you see the Padre's Jeep above had a plate over the headlight saying 127 AF. I have seen several others with 126 AF (see below) on them but as this was the RAF Wing why do you think it wasn't 127W or 126W? I'd also be interested to know the meaning and colour of the 'white' circle and 'I' painted in it. Was it a Canadian marking?

RAF Prestwick Fire Service.jpg

photo08.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

Firstly re TYPE number- have a re-read of my previous - the type number indicates a function - I merely sighted 1300 being a 3 tonner as an example- all crash/ foam tenders were 1301, Domestic tenders had a different type number.

Right the disc on the front of the jeep containing the 1-- compare the colour of the disc with the white in the adjacent roundel; the disc containing the 1 is slightly darker I will bet a day's pension it is yellow and is the bridge class plate.

Re 127 AF, from mid 1943 til D Day the operational squadrons that were to form the 2 TAF operational groups and wings had to learn to operate from bare bones landing strips in a totally tactical situation. Concrete & tarmac were swapped for PSP etc, barrack blocks and huts were swapped for tents, workshop buildings were swapped for various types of support vehicles. In the early planning stages it was deemed that WINGS would be the organisational unit that would be totally mobile and self sufficient in the tactical situation once they landed post D Day. Each wing was formed by assembling its allocated Flying Sqns with their servicing echelons and Wing support elements such as MT , Stores Fire Medics, anti gas etc etc on a nominated aerodrome; For 127 it was Tangmere. During the work up period the wings were known as Airfields- hence 127 was known as 127 Airfield hence 127 AF.

So I am positive the jeep picture was taken at 127 AF Tangmere pre D Day.

Edited by ted angus

Many thanks as ever Ted; it did cross my mind after posting that the circle next to the roundel was the bridge plate but I was confused by the 1. As for the explanation of 127 AF being Air Field that's very helpful but I'm interested as to how you knew it was Tangmere pre D-Day, as the photo of the Padre's jeep still shows this style of marking when evidently it was taken in France post D-Day?

Trevor it will take a while to put together such a list but bear with me;

Larry, The lads on the Jeep look, clean, tidy- well as tidy as fighter aircrew ever are, none are carrying their personal weapons and they look relaxed - or at least that is the impression the picture gives me. Most post D Day shots seem to show pilots carrying their personal weapons; I have all 4 vols of the 2TAF book will have a trawl and see what it throws up, in case I loose my bet will you take a post dated cheque ? LOL

back to the sofa

TTFN TED

Hello folks, this is only my second post as I only joined this forum last weekend. I am sure Type numbers refer to the body type (and there fore function) irrespective of the chassis that carried the body. I used to talk on the phone to a chap called Derek Lambe who in his later service days was responsible for calling up large quantities of RAF MT to be withdrawn and he told me he was provided with a book which listed and described all body types which helped him call up for withdrawal and hence eventual sale of RAF MT/ ( I am not saying he decided what was to be withdrawn but I presume the book helped him identify particular vehicles. I seen ti remember I got the impression he still had a copy of this book when I used to speak with him in the eighties and nineties. I think i last spoke to him about ten years ago. He lived at Fenstanton and he owned a Crossley 4x4 Type 1 load carrier ( a tender in RAF parlance).

aaha I have just successfully posted my previous thread ( I had alittle ptoblem getting udsed to the system) so I will carry on my commentsnow. I have learned recently that Derek lambe died about four years ago and I have no idea what happened to the Crossley after his death. In recent years I have been more involved in my Crossley coach restorations and some years ago my wife had a serious stroke and so I have not been keeping abreast of Crossley non civilian survivors as much as I used to.

By the way in a previous posting I think somebody was under the impression that the Type numbers had something to do with vehicle nominal weight, I dont think that is the case at all they simply are a sort of code for a body type some similar body types are numbered near each other and other types are not. I do think Bruce Robertson's book would be helpful to Larry because as well as the lists there are some photographs showing some type numbers on particular vehicles.

The bridge plate question is easy- the Jeep was bridge classification 1 according to the RAF (along with the Brockhouse flat platform 2-wheeled trailer and the Phoenix Engineering Co. 50 Gallon Tar Boiler)

Did anyone come to any conclusion as to why 126 or 127 AF (Air Field) was still used in Normandy rather than 126 or 127 Wing? Better things to do perhaps that correct your jeep markings under fire from long range artillery?!!!!

Harsh but possibly true, an interesting thread especially the QL in RAF markings a friend's QL is about to come in for the completion of its restoration and I have the spray gun with the stencils on the drawing board he'll never notice :nut:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...