Home Office/War Office/MoS Records

DWS

Hi

I help run the Auxiliary Fire Service Matchless Motorcycle Register and we are constantly on the lookout for more information about these motorcycles. I am led to understand that the actual Auxiliary Fire Service records were destroyed many years ago however, does anyone know if any Home Office/War Office/Ministry of Supply records still exist relating to the Contract Orders for the production of motorcycles from the various factories, such at Matchless, BSA etc.

According to the Matchless factory records, contracts for AFS motorcycles were placed in the 1950s and 1960s by the War Office or Ministry of Supply. All that is recorded in the factory records is the name of the contract i.e. 'War Office' but no contract numbers or other details are shown. Can anyone shed any light on this or does anyone know if such records still exists, and if so, where I would find them.

Many thanks

Dave

Edited by DWS

The royal logistic Corp retains the b record cards for 210.000 vehicles used by the british army ..it's possible as these were government sourced vehicles a record exists ....so best guess is to start at the royal logistics corps and see if they can help

jenkinov

Hi there,

I have some stuff in my files, but the postwar period is not so organised yet, here a page of postwar stuff I was able to find and scan;

001197.jpg

No idea if it's about AFS bikes or not?

Do have many sales cat. pages with Matchlesses on them, from the late 60's if you can supply me with reg. numbers, I could do a search.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Hi there,

I have some stuff in my files, but the postwar period is not so organised yet, here a page of postwar stuff I was able to find and scan;

No idea if it's about AFS bikes or not?

Do have many sales cat. pages with Matchlesses on them, from the late 60's if you can supply me with reg. numbers, I could do a search.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Hi Lex

I think you may have hit the nail on the head! The very first entry on the scan you provided certainly ties up with the information I have, which is 8 Matchless 350cc Motorcycles were ordered by the Ministry of Supply from the Matchless factory as the initial evaluation batch of motorcycles for the AFS, the date of that order I have is June 1953. The date on the scan is 15.6.53 so that looks like the right contract. The following three enties I'm not sure about yet, but it seems we are on the right track. I have quite a bit of information about all these AFS Matchless motorcycles so can certainly pass on the information to you however, is it possible to contact you 'Off Forum' so as not to take up lots of space on here?

Many thanks

Dave