Trailer lighting - do I need indicators and brake lights?

Hi, I wonder if someone can help?

I have a '45 Willys MB Jeep, it has serviceable brake and sidelights, but no directional indicators.

I have been fixing up a pre-war Brockhouse 8 CWT trailer. This will only be used in daylight for short trips to local shows.

I understand from the regs that I need a number plate which matches the Jeep and the rules about brakes, but what lighting does the trailer require (if any)?

I guess I can socket up the brake and sidelights on the Jeep for a trailerboard if necessary, but do I have to have the Jeep wired up with indicators/turn signals so I can tow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Fr3jwt7du6q6kPQD8of_f_-1eIk-1z_zM6ijJaAbTg=w958-h719

Edited by IdleBaldy

Due to the age of the trailer and towing vehicle, if used during daylight hours it does not require lighting, just rear reflectors to meet the c+u regs.

I would say its worthwhile finding period tail-lights and towing socket long-term as the jeep has them fitted anyway.

I researched this a few years ago as I use a reflector/numberplate combo on my Ferguson Trailer (1953) as the towing tractor (1950) is unlit.

Alec.

You need to think about your safety, you are driving a dark green machine and altho daylight running would not require lights the weather can change and heavy rain or fog can happen at any time of the day and you would be almost invisable., also you are driving a slow, 45 mph Jeep against the much faster other vehicles on the road. There have been a number of accidents, some fatal, involving jeeps and other MV including a DUKW turned upsidedown. It is an easy matter to fit lights to a trailer and the time spent may save your life. I also have a modern fog light on my trailer for added safety. John.

John's words are very sensible, and it's wise to make the vehicle as visible as possible even in daylight. What a lot of people do, if you want to keep the vehicle / trailer looking original, is fit period lighting and then use a trailer board or tail board to give high visibility.

• 5 months later...
Construction and use regulations :)

The Regulation is the Road Vehicles Construction and Use regulation 1986 otherwise known as SI1078/1986

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

You should however be aware that there are many amendments to what is the base legislation and these each have separate issue dates for each of the years in which they were issued. There are hundreds, and very little attempt to consolidate them into one document.

So the legislation becomes very easy to cherry pick and read what you want to see.

You also have to consider that because of the age of the vehicle you may be able to comply with C and U and not fit lights. However you also have to remember that there are many other acts which govern different aspects of the way we use vehicles and the roads we travel on. Foe example in this case consideration should be given to the Road Traffic act, The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulation Act and a number of others.

Ultimately the way it works in UK law is that you can be charged under any number of offences pertaining to infringements under these acts but unless you admit to them they have to be tested in court.

So, to take some extreme examples, if you are driving along in the middle of a nice clear sunny day, giving hand signals because you have no indicators, the police are not going to be bothered with you.

If however, the weather changes or it gets dark , you make a turn, and are invisible to an overtaking motorcycle who didn't see the vehicle clearly or your hand signals, then trying to use a Defence of being compliant with Construction and Use Regs is not going to be adequate when faced with a charge of Causing Death by Dangerous driving.

This is especially relevant when the solution is reasonable, and straight forward. IE Fit a trailer board etc to improve the visibility.

Like it or not we live in a litigious society, and its all about minimising risk.

Edited by Paul Dodd

My Jeep does not have indicators permanently fitted but I have rigged up a self contained indicator set inside a WW2 ammo box that sits between the seats and runs off its own dry cell 12v bike battery. The indicators are magnetic and I just stick them on each corner. This way once safely at a show I can return my Jeep back to standard with no issues, everything drops back into the ammo box, close the lid and it's just a piece of kit in the back.

I also built my own replica Jeep trailer (I'm poor :D) using a Sankey trailer chassis, I have used the original Jeep lighting socket so it just has rear lights and brake lights however I can also run a set of indicators for the trailer via a socket inside the ammo box working in conjunction with the magnetic Jeep ones. This way I am safe but the Jeep isn't altered in any way.

My Jeep does not have indicators permanently fitted but I have rigged up a self contained indicator set inside a WW2 ammo box that sits between the seats and runs off its own dry cell 12v bike battery. The indicators are magnetic and I just stick them on each corner. This way once safely at a show I can return my Jeep back to standard with no issues, everything drops back into the ammo box, close the lid and it's just a piece of kit in the back.

I also built my own replica Jeep trailer (I'm poor :D) using a Sankey trailer chassis, I have used the original Jeep lighting socket so it just has rear lights and brake lights however I can also run a set of indicators for the trailer via a socket inside the ammo box working in conjunction with the magnetic Jeep ones. This way I am safe but the Jeep isn't altered in any way.

A clever solution, safety without spoiling originality.

I would like to know the about the following please:-

With you self contained indicator set, have you included the indicator switch and warning light (and/or an audible warning) in the ammo box or are they magnetic? If magnetic do you use the dash or the steering column?

Does your setup give you hazard warning lights?

What indicator lamps are you using?

A clever solution, safety without spoiling originality.

I would like to know the about the following please:-

With you self contained indicator set, have you included the indicator switch and warning light (and/or an audible warning) in the ammo box or are they magnetic? If magnetic do you use the dash or the steering column?

Does your setup give you hazard warning lights?

What indicator lamps are you using?

I used a simple 3 way switch on the side of the ammo box with a warning buzzer in the box, it is still audible. No hazards on mine but you can easily wire those if needed. I use old style Lucas indicator lamps (flat backed) and use extra strong 10p size magnets (available from eBay easily) glued to the back. Never had one fall off yet. I used a WW2 ammo box that had already been altered post war (it had a hasp and staple welded to it) so as not to ruin a good one. I ground the hasp off and gave it a coat of paint. You still find these at car boots etc. I just reach down between the seats to operate the switch no trouble.