Battery isolator switch

Dear Nick and others,

Thank you for your replies.

My intention is to modify my Land Rover 1 Tonne Forward Control in the following manner.

The basic intent is to enable:-

1 allow quick disconnect trickle charging

2 battery master switch

3 inter vehicle slave socket

The following functions were not part of the original build specs.

As I am somewhat of a rivet counting purist I do not want to deface the vehicle, so my credo of "no new holes, nothing welded on" has to be respected.

The only way I can do this is to remove the original battery box lid and preserve it and fabricate a new one using the same securing method of zeus fasteners.

The new lid will look like it was meant to be there but have those three facilities included.

Thanks for the tip Nick

Robin

Technically, charge flows from negative (cathode) to positive (anode), so removing the negative removes the source of energy.

This might be the cause of all the confusion. Not Lauren's comment :D

• Positive to negative is current flow

• Negative to positive is electron flow (electrons, being negatively charged, flow in the opposite direction to the direction of conventional current flow in an electrical circuit)

Pretty sure the sparkies didn't figure out electron flow until mid 20th centuary. Kinda makes you wonder how everything worked when the original concept was wrong.

This is why we have a left hand and right rule for the magnetic field direction. All in all a quirk of electrical history

This might be the cause of all the confusion. Not Lauren's comment :D

• Positive to negative is current flow

• Negative to positive is electron flow (electrons, being negatively charged, flow in the opposite direction to the direction of conventional current flow in an electrical circuit)

Pretty sure the sparkies didn't figure out electron flow until mid 20th centuary. Kinda makes you wonder how everything worked when the original concept was wrong.

This is why we have a left hand and right rule for the magnetic field direction. All in all a quirk of electrical history

I was told that it was a mistake when the concept of current was first presented to the scientific community. The polarity was wrong, and so current ended up being shown backwards. As that's the way the community understood it, it stuck even when the mistake was realised.

The important thing to remember is that the active terminal is opposite to what you expect. What's now thought of as current is actually the continual freeing up of electron holes that have been vacated by an electron moving the opposite way, allowing another electron to move in.

This is probably getting a bit heavy for a thread on battery isolators though :)

The other thing about isolators is to get one with an adequate capacity.

Having had one melt, I'd just like to echo this comment. Check the current ratings against what you expect it to draw (sorry, I don't know the rating you need, but I'm sure someone on here will)

This is probably getting a bit heavy for a thread on battery isolators though :)

And don't forget that vehicles can be either positive or negative earth, but the practical arguments for isolating the earthy terminal still hold regardless.

Andy

This is the standard socket for British army vehicles since the 50's so you should be able to pick up a lead or at last a couple of plugs to make your own. Often seen on stalls at W&P and the like.

Ok thanks for that, just need a lead as kraz has plugs(which are British)