Chieftain arrived

paulob1

its a really neat conversion of a box body, looks not bad at all, but I am considering whether to take the kraz fifth wheel its such a great drive...it would be cool with a heavy load on it...she can only carry 18 tons as is so not a heavy load carrier...

i'm a wartime only guy but I could be persuaded to make an exception for a chieftain :cool2:

nice tank well done

chieftains have been in a number of wars..iran Iraq, and Iraq Kuwait...it has earned its spurs so to speak...didnt do well in the first war though poor maintenance and chronic engine failure....

"chieftains have been in a number of wars..iran Iraq, and Iraq Kuwait...it has earned its spurs so to speak...didnt do well in the first war though poor maintenance and chronic engine failure...."

I was in one of those wars and I can't remember seeing any chieftains but I did come across a centurion :-D I heard later that it caught fire and blew up but the crew were all out so no harm done.

its a really neat conversion of a box body, looks not bad at all, but I am considering whether to take the kraz fifth wheel its such a great drive...it would be cool with a heavy load on it...she can only carry 18 tons as is so not a heavy load carrier...

Oh rite, sounds good. Yeah bang a fifth wheel on her and get her grafting.

I do enjoy the sound mine makes now i have done a small rebuild.

"chieftains have been in a number of wars..iran Iraq, and Iraq Kuwait...it has earned its spurs so to speak...didnt do well in the first war though poor maintenance and chronic engine failure...."

I was in one of those wars and I can't remember seeing any chieftains but I did come across a centurion :-D I heard later that it caught fire and blew up but the crew were all out so no harm done.

in Iraq the iranian chieftains broke down by the dozens....the Kuwaities used them against Iraq when they invaded...apparently only limited skirmishes...

posted some more pics/video's on the facebook page...sorry to those who cant wont use facebook...will get them posted on the web site eventually...

been trying to free up the turret today very stiff, needs some sort of lubrication need to find out how to do that..have not yet connected up the hydraulic pipes to do the hydraulic start sequence and the hydraulic fans...loads to do.

think we are missing the main control boxes for the turret so she may be hand cranked for a while longer...

added some videos in you tube...

will upload a few more later..just doing this one so give it a few minutes to be ready..

Don't need to worry about getting the smoke dischargers working then :-)

(Typical K60/L60 when cold!)

Andy

non of my K60's smoke like that but boy does this thing smoke when cold...not yet sure how long to keep her running to make surre she is fully warm and moveable but suspect it takes about 5 minutes of tick over...once warm she doesnt smoke too much...

non of my K60's smoke like that but boy does this thing smoke when cold...not yet sure how long to keep her running to make surre she is fully warm and moveable but suspect it takes about 5 minutes of tick over...once warm she doesnt smoke too much...

All part of their charm....

You could warm it by running the GUE for a while, it won't warm right up until driven for a bit.

Have fun !

All part of their charm....

You could warm it by running the GUE for a while, it won't warm right up until driven for a bit.

Have fun !

we have not worked the GUE yet, it does run but the connection from the cab to the engine does not work, ie when we press the starter it isn't starting, it will be a slow process of elimination or run a new wire, we have to short the starter terminals...not neat..

we have not worked the GUE yet, it does run but the connection from the cab to the engine does not work, ie when we press the starter it isn't starting, it will be a slow process of elimination or run a new wire, we have to short the starter terminals...not neat..

I do have a complete new GUE should you ever need it.....

yes I think he knows, hes just giving me a heads up on bits for sale...I am going to be building up as many spares as I can...is 600 quid a fair price for one of these...

sounds a bit high...do they fail or ever need replacing...

HIGH!!!! What for a NEW GUE!!!!

Put it this way - if I was selling a second hand GUE - I'd want and get a £1000 minimum................

If the GUE fails you'll get no charging of the batteries unless the main engine generator is working and then it only charges about 1000 revs. You won't get the gunnery systems working either.

Welcome to the world of main battle tanks!

Forget everything you know about prices for CVRT and FV43 series vehicle spares.

You also wanted a Control Cubicle that is basically the brains of the powered gunnery systems - I have two.

A brand new one still in the box - £1500 and a second hand one £500................

For a second hand engine expect to pay around £2000 for a good take out unit. £5000 plus for a recon.

Tracks - £4500 a set plus VAT and they are becoming very hard to get hold of which is why I'm keeping hold of my new set.

I have a brand new Chieftain drivers seat. How much should I ask for this as a CVRT Scorpion drivers seat is being sold for £975 from a dealer...........................

£600 for a new GUE is, in my opinion, giving it away.....................

I'd suggest you buy it pretty sharp!!!!

Markheliops